Shopping for a CB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I drove 18 wheels for over 40 years before I retired last year.  Owned my fair share of CBs, Cobras, Midland etc.  Best I ever had was a President Mckinley SSB.  They are not the cheapest but in my opinion, the best out there and are still available.  Here is a link as an example, I am certain they are available elsewhere as well. 

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/collections/cb-radios/products/president-mckinley-ssb-radio

I know this is an old thread and you may have already made your purchase - but thought I would add my 2 cents. for anyone searching for info.

I highly recommend Right Channel Radios.  Unless you have an old school CB Shop in your neighborhood I found it very difficult to find anyone that truly specialized in CB's.  Right Channel is the spot.  They know their stuff, made great recommendations for make/model/style etc., and have bundled packages that include everything (and I mean everything - brackets, washers, mounts, cables and even an SWR meter and instructions if needed).  All that and their prices were better than anything I could find local or online.

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/

I have no affiliation with them - just want to pass along a great resource!..

I run a high end cobra. SSB is nice if your desire is to chat with folks far off but if your desire is to find out about the overturned semi 5 miles down the road... AM is what the truckers that still use CB run.  Mine does both

I also have a vintage realistic on 13 with a el-cheapo antenna just for fun.

And several pieces of ham gear. on in the cockpit. one in the car. one on mu belt. one in the "Radio Room" (That's the main) and I'm looking for more :) (Such is the life of a Ham Radio operator).

I appreciate everyone's input. I needed a CB for the wreck up ahead, but also had a (probably one time) need for a unit that would scan (for an event I attended). Ended up getting this one

My coach had one in it when we bought the coach. Totally useless. Nothing on it but a bunch of loggers on the back roads talking about that purty waitress. That is when you can understand them. Other times dead silence no warnings about what's ahead. But sometimes you can find out why you've been sitting a dead stop for 30 minutes. Totally useless.

Back2PA said:
I appreciate everyone's input. I needed a CB for the wreck up ahead, but also had a (probably one time) need for a unit that would scan (for an event I attended). Ended up getting this one

Your link goes to Amazon Login.

ChasA said:
My coach had one in it when we bought the coach. Totally useless. Nothing on it but a bunch of loggers on the back roads talking about that purty waitress. That is when you can understand them. Other times dead silence no warnings about what's ahead. But sometimes you can find out why you've been sitting a dead stop for 30 minutes. Totally useless.

For you that may be true, but there are more uses than that for some of us. It's great communications when 4 wheeling as a group, for instance (MUCH better than FRS), and DW and I can talk if one of us is in the coach and the other in the Jeep, without the hassle of a phone to your ear, and of course the occasional trucker report (not often, I agree).

ChasA said:

I mentioned I have two CB's one a vintage Radio Shack (realistic) one a Cobra

Years ago I went to my parent's for Christmas. IN MI.  and on the way home. Freezing rain and black ice conditions. THE Realistic was in the van and informed me of a rolled over SEMI a couple miles down the road.. I started slowing and came to a stop next to what I thought was a 2 car PDA (Both totaled had to dolly them out) Turns out it was a 4 car the other half had limped to the next exit/truck stop.

I provided shelter till the Deputy arrived. a desk for him to interview and write up and all in all it was likely the most comfortable accident he wrote up all evening (Heat, Dry, Desk).

ENded up taking the parties home

ON the Cobra (in the Motor home) IT was 2 fatal accidents about 3.5 miles down the road. exit about 0.5  I was already in the right land so TURN SIGNAL ON and took the exit. Spent a nice, relaxing night. had a good supper and breakfast. Next AM road was "Free and clear".  Far as I'm concerned either of those incidents paid for the radio. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GandalfTheGrey
Back
Top Bottom