Shopping. Hate Salesmen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alpena Jeff said:
Walk into the showroom better educated than the sales team on whatever you are buying. That puts you in control. This is really simple folks. You have a brain. Educate yourself on whatever you are buying and you will win. Most sales people are dumber than you. Believe it. I've lived it.

This is GREAT advise from a person who really knows!!

OP:  You are well on your way.  You asked first, and got a great TV.  Take your time and get the perfect TT (used, I hope).  You will be well rewarded for your patience! 

P.S.  Dad was an ME.  I understand!

The dealer that we finally ended up buying from had refused to sell my old neighbor the trailer he wanted because the salesman knew his Toyota Tacoma truck would not be able to tow it safely, so I already knew they had some integrity....

[My neighbor refused to listen, went to one of the big RV shows where some way-out-of-town dealer comes in for the show, bought the trailer, towed it once, realized the first salesman had been right, tried to get the dealer to take the trailer back and ended up trading it (at quite the loss) for a motorcoach, which is what he probably should have gotten in the first place]

The salesman listened to what we said we wanted, showed us some trailers that were at least close and then suggested we look at a couple which were slightly different than our wish list (but still met our MUST list). We ended up buying one of his suggestions.

Our must list was pretty short:
dual axle
under 5,000# dry (prefer closer to 4000#)
walk-around bed
pass-through storage
axle rating well above dry weight
20-25 feet total length (missed that one by a foot)

There is a way to eliminate the salesmen. Buy used from a private party. Yes the owner might also lie but he might also be telling the truth. That gives you much better odds than buying from a dealership where the odds the salesman is lying is about 98%.

We like our Outback 250URS. Very open floor plan and comes in at about 30' tow length.

And yes salesmen sux. We were trying to get our camper at a local Camping World, they did not have it in stock. Another Camping world 4 hrs away did. Ask to get it transferred. Saleswoman said let me check. Calls me back and said that a tornado hit the other Camping World and unit was damaged, offered to sow us other units on the lot. I call other Camping World, unit was fine. We went and picked up the next day

Hello My name is Larry, I am an RV sales consultant for a dealership in southern Va. I camp when I can but retail sales requires me to work most weekends. The main reason I chose this industry is an RV'er wants to RV. I learned a long time ago that if I meet the needs of others my needs will always be met. So my thoughts on being a successful RV consultant is to assist people in purchasing the right RV, with the right features, for the right price. Recognizing that buyers have choices about where to purchase an RV, I am  proud when I am able to earn someone's business.
I would suggest, buyers spend as much time researching dealerships and their reviews as researching RV's. Finding the right dealership and a sales consultant who is genuinely has your best interest in mind is as important as the right RV.
The point of purchase should be the beginning of a relationship, not the end.

larry rv said:
Hello My name is Larry, I am an RV sales consultant for a dealership in southern Va. I camp when I can but retail sales requires me to work most weekends. The main reason I chose this industry is an RV'er wants to RV. I learned a long time ago that if I meet the needs of others my needs will always be met. So my thoughts on being a successful RV consultant is to assist people in purchasing the right RV, with the right features, for the right price. Recognizing that buyers have choices about where to purchase an RV, I am  proud when I am able to earn someone's business.
I would suggest, buyers spend as much time researching dealerships and their reviews as researching RV's. Finding the right dealership and a sales consultant who is genuinely has your best interest in mind is as important as the right RV.
The point of purchase should be the beginning of a relationship, not the end.

If they all operated like you Larry, we wouldn't be having this conversation.  Unfortunately, you're that rare diamond in a pile of rocks.  I'm glad to hear that someone takes pride in what they do and does it right.

I had a long career in sales. From real estate to high end appliances, the key to success in my opinion is to truly listen to what the customer is saying, fully understand what their wants and desires are and then to faithfully present them their options which most align with their desires. Some education may be in line if their wants and desires conflict with the product reality, but I encourage you to insist that if the sales person you are working with is not proceeding property, find someone else.

Within most sales organizations, there will always be some sales people who do it the right way. Embrace them and walk away from the ones who are not listening.

Bill and Debbie said:
, the key to success in my opinion is to truly listen to what the customer is saying, fully understand what their wants and desires are and then to faithfully present them their options which most align with their desires.

In the latter stages of my career in management, I was a sales manager / coach as well.  The most successful salespeople were the best listeners and were able to use the information gleaned to guide the customer in a direction that best suited their needs. 

I spent 30+ years in the hi-tech industry, where "salesmen" were required to have at least a bachelors degree in a technical discipline (typically EE/EEE), and to know our products and their customers' use of our products.

Although I wasn't in sales, I spent countless hours in front of customers on different continents, discussing technical issues and solving technical problems in the way they used/designed our products into their end product.

Having an auto salesman tell me "it's just a piece of sheet metal to me" was quite a surprise. I'm reminded of this story.

Well out kicking more tires today.  Found a couple of salesmen that were very good, listened and showed us some alternatives we weren't aware of.  Also found a couple of hard sells.  "You have to buy it today or it'll be gone"  or "What will it take to get you to take in home?"  Goobers.  Was up front when i walked in that i was looking, comparing and NOT buying today.

Good news, the wife has found some other floor plans she likes thanks to the two helpful salesmen.  Bad news, she wants a lot bigger than before and found a fifth wheel she loves. 

Yes, I have also learned that RV salespeople are not very knowledgeable, but I don't blame them for that. It's impossible to to know every feature of every model of every year of every class. They are also quick to show you the larger more expensive rigs. I told one salesperson I wanted a 32' fifth wheeler and he looked at me with a surprised look and said "Why so small? You'll never find something that small." .......whatever

My best suggestion is to do all your homework ahead of time. Most manufacturer websites show all the models, floorplans, specs, photos, etc. You can even download full manuals. Don't rely on the salesperson to tell you anything helpful or technical. He/she will just tell you what you want to hear. ("Absolutley!!,  No Problem !!!, These never come back on warranty !!, You're 1995 Chevy S10 will pull a 42' toy hauler no problem !!, etc)

Having said that, don't rely 100% on internet research. At some point you need to look at, touch and feel what you've been drooling over online. Don't forget about RV shows in your area. This is a great way to get out and look at many different rigs without the sales pressure. Whenever I go to an RV show, I'm always with a tape measure and small flashlight and  I can go through these things with a fine tooth comb.

Also, if you have zero'd in on a particular manufacturer. Sign up to the owners forum of that manufacturer and start reading. You'll get more real world feedback from actual owners.

Also, don't forget about Youtube videos. Just do a search for the models you are considering and there will most likely be a ton of dealers who do "walk-through" videos of the coach pointing out features. Even if you tune out the sales pitch of the video, it's at least a chance to see the rig close up before going out to the lot to put your hands on it.

Don't let the salesperson sell you an RV, just let them be the person you negotiate with. Try to get 25% to 30% off MSRP. If you can't get the discount you're looking for, try to get accessories thrown in for free (2nd air conditioner, RV cover, bedroom TV, etc.)

Good Luck.

This thread is a perfect example of why I avoid dealerships and retail salespeople like the plague.

I much prefer teaching myself about an item I want to buy, finding a good one that meets my needs on the gently used market, and buying from a private owner.  I've done this now with cars, RV's, appliances, furniture, and almost everything in between.  Heck even our house was a "For Sale By Owner" and neither side ever mentioned a realtor (nor did we "donate" 6% of the house price to them).  Aside from the big stuff, I've bought hundreds of household items on Ebay over the years, and spent a fraction of what most people spend just walked into a retail store and buying off the shelf.

You do NOT need a dealership to find/buy the RV of your dreams... and save a ton of money too!  Trust me, I've done it twice now.  ;D  Keep educating yourself on all things RV here at this forum (and others if you wish, but we are a pretty awesome group ;)), start shopping your area Craigslist, Ebay, RVtrader.com, and the right rig at the right price will come along eventually.

Can't stand our salesman or the dealer.  Was determined not to buy from them. However, after tons of research and talking to you guys here, they were the ones that had what we were looking for.  We bought the RV not the dealership.

Alpena Jeff said:
Don't make me get back on that soapbox...
It is safe to say that most salespeople are out for themselves. I'm not breaking new ground here. All I am saying is educate yourself on whatever product you are buying. Walk into the showroom better educated than the sales team on whatever you are buying. That puts you in control. This is really simple folks. If you walk in stupid you will walk out stupid. You have a brain. Educate yourself on whatever you are buying and you will win. Most sales people are dumber than you. Believe it. I've lived it.
Stepping down.  As you were.  8)

For the most part I agree.  I don't think all salespeople are out for themselves and I don't think all sales people are dumber than me.  It's my job to be educated and to be a good judge of character.  There are more than a few salespeople who have been surprised when they tried to offer me their business card and I said no I don't need one.

UTTransplant said:
I really enjoy working with a good sales pro. Those are the folks who know their product, help you figure out what you want, then work to close the sale. Sadly they are few and far between in the RV world.

I agree. 

I've never worked in RV sales, but I did work as a motorcycle salesman for approx. 3 1/2 years.  If you had ever done business with me, you would be saying that not ALL sales folks suck!  I always treated people the way that I would like to be treated, was very knowledgeable about the models that we sold (Honda and Harley in the same building), and on a few occasions, presented some information that I knew would almost certainly cause me to lose a sale.  An example of that.....
I had a young guy (19 years old) come in one day and was wanting to buy a new Honda sport bike.  He had a great job (50K plus in 2005), he had very good credit (around 725 as I recall), and was going to put down approx. half of the amount of the bike from his savings acct.  A sure deal?....not so fast.  He mentioned that he had gotten a speeding ticket within the last year, which lit up a red flag for me.  I told him that with him being so young AND buying a sport bike, AND having a speeding ticket within the last year, might cause some issues with trying to insure the bike...and that he needed to check that out with some insurance companies BEFORE signing on the dotted line to buy the bike.  I gave him my business card and told him that I would love to sell him the bike, but I didn't want him to have any surprises when he tried to insure it.  He thanked me and left without signing the contract.  Three days later he returned to the store and wanted to let me know (and to thank me) that he couldn't get the bike.  With the factors that I mentioned above, his insurance cost for the bike would have been slightly over $300/month.....$3600/year for the bike.  I knew that telling him to check out the insurance cost was committing sales suicide for that deal, but I would never let making a commission/money, override my moral compass of doing the right thing.  Some things in life are not, and will never be a compromise for me.

So, there are some good ones out there (I was one of them), it's just hard to find them sometimes.

Apologies to the salesmen on the board, not personal.  I do know there are a few professionals, just to far and few between.  As an engineer for a company that makes automotive equipment I have to interact with out salesman quite a bit.  95% are flipping idiots, don't know the product, don't care too. All about the sale even if its not what the customer actually needs.  Because of this i end up fixing a lot of issues after the fact.  As such when I make my own large purchases I research the heck out of it and have as little interaction with the salesman as i can.  When I do find a salesman I like I keep their info and make use of them.  I have found one this time around but he doesn't sell the model I want. :(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom