Should a newbie buy used for first TT?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ams115

We did a tour of a local RV, then once we got home found a comparable used TT for half the price. Very enticing, but wondering how we would be able to set up the stability bar, link the brakes and lights for the TT to our Pathfinder          and the other practical issues and hand-holding the dealer would do. We even need to get a hitch on the Pathfinder.

Plus, we're newbies and are completely inexperienced with driving a TT. The one we're considering is a 21', which is larger than we planned. But it seems nearly impossible to find a 17' or 19' in our area prior to buying new, much less used.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Welcome ams115 to the rv forum.
First of all wheather it used or new you need a PDI check list to review the TT.
http://www.dasplace.net/PDI/pdi.html
With it you can find problems that should be taken care of before placing some hard earned cash down.
To help with pricing try this link for used TT's.
http://www.nadaguides.com/
If you buy from dealer they will place hitch instruct on hookup and lighting between tow and TT.
If his lot is big enough you could even make some test drives just remember with larger mirrors mounted to tow to use they when turning around objects and curves on street corners.
This is only a start welcome to RVing and good luck in your quest.

Tom Boles was also kind enough to allow us to post his checklist in our forum library here, along with numerous other checklsist.

I think that is a personnal decision. Your on the right track being here asking though. I am a newbie, thought a brand new 22 foot Jayco was priced reasonably enough I bought new. I may be upgrading if it proves to work out and I see I use it enough. My deal is I didn't want to go buy a 3/4 ton truck right away until I saw this hobby was for me. What I learned after my maiden vayage was to look around this site and learn from experience before you go.

The dealer set my hitch up. I noticed though that he eye balled the equalizing hitch when setting it up. I had some sway. Came home and with some directions from here, I readjusted my hitch which pulls much better.

I learned what happens if you empty your black water tank to early at the park.

I learned you don't use sway bar in rain after doing it.

All of these lessons could have been learned right here before my first trip instead of experiencing them for my self.           

We just purchased a used '04 21' at your figure (1/2 of new). That left a lot of change to take care of a few essentials.  U-Haul sells and installs hitches and lighting. Any competent corner mechanic can install a brake controller and transmission cooler.  I'm sure dealers with service bays are happy to have any kind of work in this economy.  Hitch, brakes, lights, repairs.  Good luck.

Is the used trailer in good shape ready to go or a fixer upper (like ours)? It needs some work but we can do most of  it ourselves and are willing to live with a few shortcomings. If you are not handy with tools and/or don't have a suitable work area then new or nearly new might be best.

At most dealers you don't get all that much hand-holding, nor a really professional set-up either. But when you are new, anything is better than nothing. Used is a better choice for your first RV, so you can get your feet wet without choking on the cost.

But if you could find a friend who could help you out on that first day, I'd go for used on the private resale market.

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Websites are good to know, as are how to get the hitch done. Our salesperson was actually really good so he probably would hold our hands, but we don't have a lot to put into this right now.

We've been away and are downgrading what we're looking for. Thinking about starting w/a tent trailer that has a bathroom since it will be less height and weight and hopefully less $$ until we know that we'll actually RV a lot. Watch for tent trailer questions next :)...and will appreciate any key things to watch out for with a used tent trailer.

Thanks again!

I think you are being wise. Start modestly, both in terms of price and features and see what you really want and how much you use the rig. If you buy a new one, the immediate huge depreciation makes it difficult to change your mind, whereas an older and less expensive rig can almost always be passed on to someone else without a big loss when you are ready or if you decide to bail out.

I'd say used and small to start, and work you way up as you justify based on use and enjoyment. 

We just got into RV-ing last year, so I'm still on the newbie side things in many areas.  When we bought our first I had the advantage of taking my Dad with me.  He's on his 6th RV and knows what to look for.  He told me to shy away from the tent trailers based on his experience.  They started with one, but then upgraded in only a year to a travel trailer.  He advised me to skip that step and save the money I'd lose from selling it so soon.  If you go tent trailer, you should probably go used and take advantage of someone else's need to upgrade.  I jumped straight to the travel trailer and went fairly big as well (29').  I didn't want to feel confined and need to upgrade the TT in a year either.  We are VERY happy with our rig and will have used it every month from April to October. 

Obviously, what you end up reading in a thread like this is what works for other people...from go small and used to go big and new.  You really have to look inside and make your best guess for what you want to do with an RV, how you plan to use it, how often and how handy are you.  It's always good to hear what works for someone else to make sure you consider all the bases, but I've found there are as many "right" ways to RV as there are stars in the sky.  ;D 

Good luck with your decision!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom