Should I put my stabilizers down when 32' parked (empty) for a week or two?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChristineB

I am a newbie with a 32 footer. My question is:  when we put it in storage in between camping trips, should we put the stabilizers down or leave them up?  On our old pop up we left them down and raised the front a few inches higher so any rain could roll off.
Should we do the same with our 32 footer?
Thanks for all the great advise!!

The best thing you can do is tag the ground with them and take a little weight off the tires. It will help them from getting a flat spot. Spray the legs with a little silicone lube and all will be good.

As far as run-off, Your call.

Steve

I don't.  I think the only benefit I get from them is to make the trailer more stable when i walk around in it.  Since I won't be in the trailer, it is just extra work to set up and take down.  IMHO, of course.

I do like John (COMer).  I never bothered to put the stab jacks unless I was going to sleep in the trailer.  My first trailer had a flat roof, so I would raise the front for the water to run off.  My current trailer has an arch on the roof, so I don't bother.

I don't know if this is the proper thing to do or not, but that's what I do. 

Remember that they are "stabilizers", not "jacks". They should not be used to lift any weight - that's what the tires and tongue jack are for. I only use mine when we're in it. Ours sits for 5 - 6 months each winter an I've never had any flat spots or other tire troubles.

When my RV is parked in the yard it just sitting on the tongue jack and tire. The stabilizers are not used. But like today I'm trying to get it together for a trip soon so I levelled it out and put the stabilizers down so you can walk inside with it rocking around and bouncing. But typically I don't bother with it in the yard just stored.

I'm with Joe.  Stabilizers are just for keeping the thing stable for comfort.  Unnecessary to put them down for storage for short periods of time.  Back when I use to tow, I would put them down for Winter storage to take a little weight off of the tires.  But not between trips during the camping months.  Just spray them with silicone or a graphite lube so they keep working nice.  Don't use a grease which will only collect dirt and grime.  Gums up the works.

As far as rain on the roof...
Do what ever your comfortable with. 

The stabilizer jacks aren't going to take any apprciable weight off the tires but there really isn't any harm in putting them down especially if that's what you're comfortable with.

Foto-n-T said:
The stabilizer jacks aren't going to take any apprciable weight off the tires but there really isn't any harm in putting them down especially if that's what you're comfortable with.

Correct... The stabilizer jacks only keep the RV from rocking around on the suspension. Because if you actually attempted to lift the RV using said stabilizer jacks you would most likely end up doing some serious damage to a RV.

The front of our trailer was lifted off the ground during a severe thunderstorm shortly after be purchased our trailer in 2008.  When it came down, it damaged the jack on the front.  I now always put down the stabilizers to stabilize it in case of a storm.  I also use chock locks on the wheels to keep it from moving.

First of all, I am a newb here, I believe this is my first post.... Every time I get back from camping, I level my trailer side to side(its easy now, I keep a block there and back up on it), then i level front to back with the tongue. After that I lower the stabilizers so when we are in and out it doesn't rock.  The big thing to me is leveling. I am now preping the trailer for our next trip this weekend, and it is already ready for me to hook up power and turn on the fridge, if I didn't spend the extra 5 minutes leveling, I would have to spend 20 minutes doing that, and if it is all level, why not crank down the stabilizers, it is so easy to do thanks to my 18v dewalt!

Many RV units sit on a dealer's lot for months on end and they never put down stabilizing jacks. As joezeppy stated, they are not meant to take weight off the axles, only to stabilize the unit when walking about.

BigLarry said:
The front of our trailer was lifted off the ground during a severe thunderstorm shortly after be purchased our trailer in 2008.

Now THIS is a viable reason to put your stabilizers down during storage I think.  I know that it's one the important reasons that I use a tripod on our 5th wheel when we're in an area that has the potential for high winds. Last year at Goosenecks State Park outside of Mexican Hat Utah we had winds in excess of 65mph (I know this because my weather station anemometer failed at 67mph) and survived quite well.  A gentleman several hundred yards away needed to hire a front end loader the next morning to pick his back up after his landing gear had failed in the middle of the nite and dropped the whole shootin' match right on the ground.  Say what you will about tripods but that right there sold me on them.

So yes, if you're worried about possible wind damage while stored in the open putting the stabilizers down might just be enough to save you from some pretty expensive damage.

Back
Top Bottom