Should I winterize?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve C

Temperatures will be in the 30's at night and 60"s day time. Should I be concerned about winterizing the motor home? I won't be using it for about a week or so? Thanks.

We're getting the same temps here in Oklahoma.  For the cost of 2 gallons of RV anti freeze
I decided to go ahead and winterize my lines.  It's a piece of cake.  The overflow filled the sink
traps.  We leave for Florida around New Years. 

I think it's a cheap insurance policy. . . .

Steve C said:
Temperatures will be in the 30's at night and 60"s day time. Should I be concerned about winterizing the motor home? I won't be using it for about a week or so? Thanks.

Where is this storage occuring?  What is the locale?

As Steve suggests, it's cheap insurance.  We winterized ours last month, however it was stored in Calgary for 5 weeks.  Temps got down to -4F and I'm certainly glad I did.

If you are sure temps will not get below 30, I bet you would be fine not doing it.  Especially with highs in the 60's.  But is it worth the risk?

OK, then I will ask you, do you ever get any hard freezes there?  Next to Gulf of Mexico on the FL Panhandle?      A frost is not going to freeze up your pipes, that takes a hard freeze -- temps well below 32F.

Carl L said:
OK, then I will ask you, do you ever get any hard freezes there?  Next to Gulf of Mexico on the FL Panhandle?      A frost is not going to freeze up your pipes, that takes a hard freeze -- temps well below 32F.
that's what I was thinking, unless you are leaving the area, you could probably leave it as-is and winterize only for a real cold spell.

You should be fine if it is an overnight "dip".  If you are like me you get up during the night and run water.  Flush toilet and sink at least once.  You will be fine.

Steve C said:
I wouldn't waste my time. Even if it dips into the 20s occasionally you will be ok.

If the forecast is for freezing, I'd fill up the water tank and disconnect the water hose. I've had the hose freeze up with overnite temps in the mid-upper 20's and it took until noon the next day for it to thaw out.

Steve C said:
no.

As I said, the predicted temps will be 60 today and 30 tonight then 40's/60's for the next month. Knew I shoulda got an Old Farmers Almanac. This being our first MH I'm a little protective and was concerned about one night of the 30's. We 'go out' quite often but it is in the driveway while I complete a local contract. Thanks for the replies and information.

leave the heat on 35-39, don't worry about it if there's a cold snap... besides there is global warmin'

Weather man/woman lied. It was 26 degrees at 4 AM. So much for that global warming theory.

It takes several hours below 32 degrees before you have anything to worry about. And probably more than that is the heat is on inside, water heater warm, etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom