Should this have a cover?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gern

This is a 2022 Jayco Jayflight 264BH. We have had the trailer for over a year now. We were new to rving but since have clocked a few miles and having a great time. The pic shows exposed wiring in the front of the trailer which I have always thought should not be exposed like that but maybe they are. Does anyone know if this should be covered or if there is something out there that my trailer is missing? Thanks for any suggestions
IMG_2284.JPG

7 way junction box? Take some wire ties and bundle the wires together neatly and add some more split wire loom to them. Use some sort of tape, duct tape or better and completely seal the lid on that junction box, it will help keep the water and mud wasps out.

The three objects to the right are auto reset circuit breakers, and they will not do well out in the weather. Not sure what to suggest other than get another junction box and mount them inside of it.

Standard RV crappy design and poor workmanship. Workers are simply pushed to put it together and the manufacturer makes no provisions for "doing it right". It worked when it rolled out the door, possibly, and that is all that counts.

Charles

From my vantage point, that appears to be an interior designed junction box, definitely not designed for the elements.

Thank you for the feedback. I will do the wire loom suggestion and see if I can find some type of cover I can make work with a little bit of fabrication. I saw some back panel covers on Amazon that might work. I'll post of pics when done.
Thanks again

Yeah, signs of a low-cost design & construction. It's acceptable because it is low voltage vehicle wiring, but that doesn't make it good for long term reliability. If you look underneath the trailer you will almost surely find more semi-exposed connections back around the axles for the electric brakes and at the back for stop/tail/turn wiring. Adding some tape or sealant now might save future headaches.

As it is low-voltage wiring it will suffice. But I would change out that junction box for something watertight, and find all the connection splices that you can, clean the off real good, and slather them with some kind of sealant like liquid electrical tape.

Oops, Gary already said that.

I would move breakers into the battery area if there is room and replace the junction box with a exterior box that is weather proof. Use weather proof splices and terminals.

Does anyone know if this should be covered or if there is something out there that my trailer is missing?
I agree with what Gary said in his post. I'm retired from electrical service work and the small travel trailer we bought from KZ was a lot like that when I got it and I did seal things up. I used a high quality silicone sealant on the box, first removing the cover to insure that everything was proper inside, the sealing the edges when I put it back and the areas for the screws once it was in place. I didn't have as much slack in the wires as yours has but I would use wire-ties to bundle the wires and would try to fashion something to protect the auto reset circuit breakers.

Ugh, I have the same thing and it really is indicative how these things are made. I'm going to re-do mine soon and either move the breakers inside somewhere or put a box around them. They look pretty ugly right now.

Just recently, I walked around a dealership to see what other trailers had to get a good idea for alternatives. Some had some kind of box and some had the same lousy setup.

Invest in heat shrink terminals and a heat gun for anything outside exposed to the elements, even inside a junction box. Especially if you ever travel areas that use salt on the roads in winter. When that green cancer starts, it can go right up inside the insulation. On commercial trucks and trailers that get into that a lot, I've pulled out and replaced several feet of wire on occasion, to get to clean copper to mend the new.

You can also buy waterproof wire nuts. They are filled with a silicone paste. Twisting the wires and using the wire nut is better than using the crimp on connectors. I've seen the crimp on ones pull lose. They're used because it's faster to assemble.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom