Should we replace our 20 year old "Air V" Air Conditioner by Carrier before it fails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

H5-Phil

We have a 2004 Alumascape TT that we've owned since it was new. It's coming up on 20 years of annual/seasonal use and the unit is still running fine but...
We're thinking of replacing it before it fails on the road and perhaps at the most inopportune (hot) time. We have no idea how long an RV AC typically lasts.

Thanks,

Phil & Karen

It is really difficult to predict the lifespan of an RV air conditioner as the amount that each one has been used is a very major part of the problem. I would expect more than 10 years even with very heavy use. We owned our class A for 14 years and were fulltime in it for 12. In that time we spent one summer in Kansas where both were very heavily used and the front until would typically operate constantly from about 8am to 9pm nearly every day for 3 months and several other times we had that sort of thing for a month or so. We did have signs of the front unit showing age but not the bedroom unit. With yours now aproaching 20 years, I can understand why you are considering it but I'm not sure how to advise you. No question the risk of failure must be increasing if it has been used a lot, but I'm not sure that I would replace it. I think that you need to base the choice on your acceptable degree of risk of it's failure. If it were me, I would budget for it and wait.

Last edited:
If it's still working fine, I would not mess with it. You might keep that money saved up in the event it does eventually fail. But as long as it's working, and working appropriately, why change anything?

When we moved into our house more than 13 years ago, the previous owner told us to never do anything with the air conditioner. Never touch it. It's worked flawless for over 20 years and never had service, and never had a problem.

It' snow been another 13 years and it's still working flawless. We have a second unit, that since we moved into the house, has been replaced completely. The original unit when we moved in was much newer.

So, if the old one is working well, don't mess with it! It may outlive the rest of the camper. I guarantee you, a new one will be work as well.

Do your research on what can replace it and put aside some money, but wait till it happens. Well, unless you are planning a lengthy trip.
I would not try to do it right now in any case - RV a/c units are in very short supply everywhere.

We had an old Class C that I had to replace a knob on the Coleman AC unit when we first got it. The Coleman company told me that the unit was manufactured in 1983. They gave me the part number I needed to replace the cracked knob. We used the Class C for several years, then gave it to my daughter who used it for several more years. It was still blow COLD air, even in triple digit desert heat when she sold the RV. At that point the air conditioner was 32yo. One thing that I noticed, people with newer, bigger air conditioners complained that their units couldn't keep up in the heat. That old Coleman unit kept the even older RV freezing inside even when the temps outside were over 120F.

We have a 2004 Alumascape TT that we've owned since it was new. It's coming up on 20 years of annual/seasonal use and the unit is still running fine but...
We're thinking of replacing it before it fails on the road and perhaps at the most inopportune (hot) time. We have no idea how long an RV AC typically lasts.

Thanks,

Phil & Karen

Is it having any symptoms of bad behavior? My Coleman is 8 years older (26 y/o) and doing fine.

I can understand the desire to have no issue on the road but aside from some sort of coil failure you should probably get signs like, poor cooling, grinding/fan noise, C/B trips.

You might have a techie look at it for things like corrosion on the condensor & evaporator that could portend a pinhole leak.

At the end of the day it's what you are comfortable with and can afford proactively.

I would not replace it till it fails and for a Carrier. 20 years is way beyond anticipated life
But replacement is a one hour job so I'd not replace it.
If it's the kind with knobs on the ceiling (not a remote thermostat or a remote control) Then replacements are almost universal.. I like Coleman because they suck but other makes are good too. (Suck means they draw air IN through the condenser coils so that they are easier to clean.. They have a downside.. "Local" control units (knobs on ceiling) do not have frost sensors... Can't win 'em all.. I'd like Frost sensors)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rubytuesday
Back
Top Bottom