Shower stall leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

penman39

The previous owner installed an accordion style shower door. I’ve always had to re-caulk that corner over the 7yrs I’ve owned the rig. A small corner of the floor has become slightly soft so I suspect it’s from shower leakage(see photo). I think my first step would be to remove the trim piece on the shower. Are those plastic caps circled screw caps or something else? Has anyone removed the vanity and what’s all involved? Any advice appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4413.jpeg
    IMG_4413.jpeg
    12.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4415.jpeg
    IMG_4415.jpeg
    11.9 KB · Views: 22
With most leaks from showers/enclosures/etc. you have to caulk on the inside of the shower along the edges of any track/extrusions so that the water will not sneak under and then into the coach. That caulking is an annual maintenance issue the same as in a sticks and bricks home. Caulking on the outside is not effective and can trap water/gunk under the tracks/extrusions allowing mold to grow.

It sounds like you wish to inspect the subfloor with the goal to remove/replace the spongey flooring - as far as removing the vanity - there will be screws holding it to the back or side walls. Hunting is the best way to find them.

Not sure what the buttons on the apron of the showere might be - but they very will could be how the shower is attached to some framing.

When you conquer this leak and rebuild you will have earned lots of bragging points for your neighboring campers!

I was also looking for a much larger pix of the fasteners below the shower door (large - width of about 1920 pixels.) Anyway.....

Do you see any evidence of leaks under the sink? Your sink looks exactly like the one in our former Horizon, I think you can remove the vanity bottom to gain access to the plumbing in that area. That is my first suspect for causing a spongy floor and then of course water splashing out of the shower.

Our shower sat on a fiberglass stall insert so below the shower door opening was all one piece and not removable.

I don't suspect the shower for leaks because you can bet the floor covering continues under it all the way to the outside wall, or where ever. Basically water cannot get thru the floor covering. However, there are openings in various places that water can get thru, some as simple as a screw hole where the cabinet is installed, or possibly where the plumbing comes up thru the floor.

UNLESS>>>>>> the floor covering is not original and the original was cut and removed at the edge of the shower and vanity, in which case, yes, the water certainly can intrude into the plywood at that point.

Rant........... The best thing you can do to an RV is take good care of the original floor covering, and if a continuous roll material, don't mess with it. It is your means to waterproofing the subfloor beneath.

Charles

Last edited:
I was also looking for a much larger pix of the fasteners below the shower door (large - width of about 1920 pixels.) Anyway.....

Do you see any evidence of leaks under the sink? Your sink looks exactly like the one in our former Horizon, I think you can remove the vanity bottom to gain access to the plumbing in that area. That is my first suspect for causing a spongy floor and then of course water splashing out of the shower.

Our shower sat on a fiberglass stall insert so below the shower door opening was all one piece and not removable.

Oops my bad John. It’s been a while since I’ve posted. I thought 350 pixels was the max size for images. I get you a fastener close up soon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom