shower won't drain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPBJR

have tried vinegar and baking soda after plunging it. Plunged it again and applied the same. It still backs up, could it be a REALLY clogged up drain? 95 Bounder motor home. Bathroom sink works fine, kitchen sink initially clogged up shower but after vinegar/baking soda it didn't bother it. We've left the grey water valve open to drain into flower garden, so it's never closed (until we drain black water tank). Should I get RV drain cleaner or what, help please.....JB

Can you remove the chrome greate? Look under the shower and see if you can remove the P-trap.

The chances are good that it's a lot of hair and lint that's clogged the drain.  I have long hair and, even though I'm careful to keep hair out of the drain, we all lose hair and eventually it clumps in the shower drain.  I have some very long tweezers (10 inch I think) and pull the gunk out every few months.  It may never have been done in your motorhome so don't be surprised if you find huge globs of yucky "gunk".  I'd do that before worrying about other things.

ArdraF

Thanks, I'll keep trying with an RV drain cleaner. Also, I'll look into the p-trap, there's a panel outside the shower door that maybe the way to get to it

It's no different than a home (residential) shower drain and handled the same way.  There is a top grate, a drain hole and a P-trap under the shower base.

The most common problem is a combo of hair and soap, which makes a very effective plug. You either pluck the clog out or dissolve it with drain cleaners. Or both.  You can use any septic-safe drain cleaner, but in my experience the gel-type that clings to the drain and clog works the best.  Shower clogs usually still drain slowly, so the clingy type stays longer on the clog. Or use a DIY drain cleaner, e.g. boiling water or a baking soda-vinegar solution. No, that won't harm your plumbing. It meets all the same codes as residential plumbing.

Bob Vila's tips:  https://www.bobvila.com/articles/how-to-unclog-a-shower-drain/

This one will clean all your drains and will not harm the pipes.

https://www.amazon.com/THRIFT-MARKETING-Instant-Drain-Cleaner/dp/B003JDQN10/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1546445466&sr=8-5&keywords=instant+drain+cleaner

Local RV dealer/service business said Drano gel is fine so I tried it. He also said if that doesn't do it, sand could be stopping it up. Drano didn't work

A water hose can make quite a mess if you don't have a way to prevent back-splashing.  It did help us once but regular cleaning with a long tweezer prevents a clog buildup.  Also the hose can make the clog go down further into the drain and meet other bits of debris that makes the clog larger.  I'd try to get some of the debris out first and then followup with a hose.

ArdraF

JPBJR said:
Local RV dealer/service business said Drano gel is fine so I tried it. He also said if that doesn't do it, sand could be stopping it up. Drano didn't work

The sand is a new twist....I'm guessing getting the P-trap off was not a option.
I have used a water hose with success but as stated it can make a mess.

Why is sand a suspect?

Don't know, we're fairly close to the beach I guess. Part of the p-trap is glued but I haven't tried to take it apart yet as it looks pretty tough.

Well assuming it is sand,

Can you remove the grate cover? If so...
With the water off...Try pushing the water hose down the drain...If you can get the hose down the drain...When you hit something turn the hose on and keep pressing on...

Extra tip use the smallest diameter hose you can find...

Best of luck getting the clog fixed and not getting soaked in the process

This is where the endoscope comes into play.    My shower is clogged, and the trap is clean and free flowing.  It takes several gallons of water before it backs up.  A plunger was absolutely no help.  I have not yet run the endoscope in yet, but that is my next step. 

The camper had a shower leak fixed just before I bought it.  I suspect something is plugging the drain into the gray tank.  I can remove the trap from below in a basement bay, and start my endoscope run from there.  I can see the plumbing all the way to the gray tank.

OK, put the shop vac to it and can see there's no "junk" in the bottom of it (p-trap). Sucked out about 2 gallons of water/crap. Turned on the kitchen sink and no backfill into the shower. Turned on the bath sink and got backfill into p-trap. Seems as though the "clog" is between the connection and the valve. The valve stays open as we drain it to the garden. Thoughts now?

I have used one of these disposable style drain snakes to clear the drain in the shower on my coach https://smile.amazon.com/Vastar-Drain-Snake-Remover-Cleaning/dp/B06XRVDLSC  the one I have is zip it brand from the local hardware store and is yellow

Thanks Isaac, we have one and it's not long enough, didn't work. Not sure how long it needs to be, but at least past the intersection of the shower/bath sink connection. The clog must be below it

Homiom Drain Gun | 4 Co2 cartridges Included | for A/C Condensate Lines https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071JS76ZP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_P1RlCbZHN0RX3

These things are great, has always worked for me

JPBJR said:
OK, put the shop vac to it and can see there's no "junk" in the bottom of it (p-trap). Sucked out about 2 gallons of water/crap. Turned on the kitchen sink and no backfill into the shower. Turned on the bath sink and got backfill into p-trap. Seems as though the "clog" is between the connection and the valve. The valve stays open as we drain it to the garden. Thoughts now?

Just guessing;

The bath sink and the shower are tied together before hitting the Grey tank. the clog is between the fixtures and the grey tank.
You could try using the blower part of the Vac to blow the clog into the grey tank.(If it's sand I don't know that this will work.
Try using a snake to push though the clog.

I have had good luck in the past with  a hose end pulsating drain opener.

Here's one from Ace:
https://www.acehardware.com/departments/plumbing/drain-openers/plumbers-snakes/4303160

Basically, it had a pressure relief valve on it. In operation, it inflates inside the pipe with water pressure to form a seal. Then when the pressure exceeds the pressure valve, it releases some water into the pipe until the pressure drops enough to close the valve. And repeats itself.

Does your coach happen to have two gray water tanks? Some do. I think I've read on this forum  about another valve up under the coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamiluu
Back
Top Bottom