Showering!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dove76

I imagine lots of places we pick will not have hooks ups. So, what little set ups do you have for showering?  Our mini camper doesn't have room for a bathroom. I have a little Porta potty and a little privacy set up for the outside. So I am curious about shower set ups. Whether it's inside or outside.

Many options, go look on Amazon at outside RV camping showers.  On problem is, that water can be cold, and you better be darn fast.  People do make them work though.  Not sure how long or how often you'd camp like this, but the do make disposable wipes, (often used in the healthcare industry), that would work.  (Called 'adult bathing cloths) Again, Amazon will be your friend for ideas.

Growing up my grandparents had a lake cabin without running water. We learned to keep clean with two buckets of water (one with soap, one clear water) and a wash cloth. Showers are a pretty modern invention. While nice, they are definitely not required for cleanliness. I used the two bucket approach when tent camping for years.

The best situation is if you are staying in a park and they have restrooms with showers. Our little travel trailer has a full BR but we rarely use it. We have a built in outside shower. You can also join a gym like Planet Fitness. They have gyms across the country and you can stop in where there is one available and take a hot shower. And like other folks have said look on Amazon for outdoor showers.

I remember the 2 bucket bath as a kid on the mountain as well! Lol!
Any recommendations for the little outdoor shower accessories? What have been your experiences with them?

When I was young kid in Philippines that was the normal way to shower, 2 buckets, if you wanted hot water we would to boil it before the shower...then we got ritzy and graduated from buckets to barrels.
There is a product called solar shower and it was a bag w water and shower head that you can hang to a tree or post and when the sun hits it would actually warm the water, it was inexpensive .

Solar showers are great  ~~  BUT  ~~ You can't use them everywhere, Lot of camp grounds consider them Grey water and do lot allow [unless contained]

I remember 50 years ago camping with my 6 other siblings in a popup camper with no running water at Hickory Run State Park in the Pocono Mountains and taking baths in a small stream next to our site with water that felt like 1 degree from freezing. To this day I will never forget.

Heat up a 1/2 gallon of water and do a sponge bath with a wash clothe.  Soap nice but not really necessary.  Get's the dust off and feels pretty good.  If you boondock much, you won't be doing many showers.

We boondock several times a year for a week or so at a time in the summer on a private tree farm in the Adirondacks. Our preferred site is remote enough that we often use the outside "dog shower" in warm weather, or even the small waterfall feeding the nearby pond. We usually prefer late afternoon showers though, since mornings can be a bit too brisk in the mountains.

Many years ago we had a popup and camped at a lake in Ocala National Forest. There was an outhouse and a big pitcher pump and the lake. No electricity.  We bathed in the lake, wading out  until we could dip to get everything wet  then pull down the bathing suit and turn our backs to other people to soap up. Then dip to rinse. We used Ivory soap bars because they float. The alligators stayed a coupled of hundred feet away.

I assume all the folks recommending letting gray water run outside or bathing in a creek know those activities can be bad for the environment. Most land managers ban them in most locations, though there are exceptions. Better to plan on something more contained.

UTTransplant said:
bathing in a creek can be bad for the environment.
Seems as though everything to some is bad for the environment these days. I am not talking about chemical spills emptying into the creek, this was 50 years ago and I am sure the small amount of soap used would dissipate quickly and no fish were harmed during our adventure. How many people go into the ocean and lakes to PEE wearing bathing suits that were washed in detergent. Just saying.

We dry camp three quarters of the time.  Birdie bath for several days then have a shower.  Time between showers depends on the weather.  Hot, more often, cold weather less often.  You did not say what you have for a rig.  We use a shower bag and warm it when needed with a kettle of hot water.  We now set up an temporary inside shower in our van.  Privacy is good and keeps us out of the weather .  If you have a rig with a shower in it a bag shower would save water.  The two of us can take showers using 2-3 gallons total.  Somewhat depend on length of hair.  With planning no big deal.

I agree solar showers are really great as long as you plan in advance to get the water warmed up and it's OK with the campground. 

I remember long ago when I was camping at keystone state park just outside of Tulsa, Oklahoma in the summer time.  Back then I was traveling and camping doing the Goldwing Motorcycle and small pull trailer deal.  I got there on a Wed so I had the whole first row to myself which was on the high side of the property overlooking everyone else.  There was alittle rock wall on the back side of my space that made for a perfect shower stall.  It even had a rock bottom that drained away and the little ledges for the shampoo, soap, and everything,  it was as if Jesus himself bathed there and created it just for him :) 

Since noone was around I set up my solar shower and in no time it was ready to go.  I stripped and about half way through my wonder private shower some new neighbors pulled up (a man as his wife)in the slot next door to me, and there I was in the buff having a wonderful nature shower lol  I went to cover myself and the man rolled down his window and yelled "as you were, your not bothering us"  so back to it i went while i watched them set up.    Solar showers dont last long but boy hot water sure makes all the difference, especially in attitude, and after a long day on the bike just awesome.

Here is how I used to travel

Attachments

• bikenaward (Small).jpg
    bikenaward (Small).jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 46
IBTripping said:
djw2112, Nice setup. The passenger seat looks very comfortable.

I don't know I never rode back there lol  But thanks, sadly its wrecked now and probably parted out all across the US and UK by now.  That is an award sitting on the footpeg from the (Wing Ding) Goldwing show that year.  It won first place in the custom classic, first time i ever entered it into a show :)  I used to build those trailers that was my first one just working stuff out in design.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom