Side Battery Compartment Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Curtis Low

Hi all,
Gonna ask a newby question.
There is a battery compartment on the side of my 1993 Class C Jayco just below the kitchen window. May I ask what that is for? Obviously a 12 volt battery goes in there but what does it operate? I also have 2 batteries up front in the engine compartment on the right and left sides. Posting photos too.

Attachments

• IMG_6739.jpeg
    IMG_6739.jpeg
    127.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6738.jpeg
    IMG_6738.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 18
It could be original if the two batteries up front are just for the chassis, but how is your RV getting 12 volt power inside unless the front batteries are for both.

That’s a good question. It’s getting power inside without shore hookup. So I’ll assume one of the front batteries is for the house lights . I do know the battery on the left drivers side runs the starter, lights, horn etc on the vehicle. Passenger battery must be for house.

What brought this all about is that my generator won’t turn over. When I hit the start but it just gives a single click or clang sound. So it got me to wondering if the side compartment battery might be for it so I placed a fresh 12 volt battery in there but got the same results and sounds. I sure hate to even think about pulling that Onan 4000 genset out. It looks like something that will be a nightmare.

Check the generator starter/ground connections and use a voltmeter to see what the voltage goes to when attempting to start, that generally tells you if bad batt or connections.
Check for voltage on the side compartment wires.

That click/clang sound sure indicates a low battery to me. I can't see into that added compartment good enough to tell is there are actual battery cables there or not.

What chassis do you have? If it is diesel then probably both batteries under the hood are for engine starting and the one you have there is for the coach. An easy way to see what it supplies would be to disconnect the negative cable with no shore power supplied and the chassis engine not running. You should be able to look at the connections under the hood to see what those batteries supply and that will help.

Thanks everyone for the replies and ideas. Well as it turns out the gear on the end of the starter was worn so badly that when I would push the start bottom it would bind and lock into the flywheel and go no further. New starter and running again. I wasn’t looking forward to pulling the genset but I did and it really wasn’t that bad. Again appreciate all the responses.
On to the next project on the old gal!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom