Sink in bathroom is clogged

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigbluefan02

Before I start tearing into this problem, my sink in the bathroom is clogged also. I have tried using a snake, plugging it, and other stuff, but I am not having any luck.  SO before I start taking pipes apart is there anyone else that can offer advise on this matter? The sink in the kitchen of the RV drain but they drain really slow. I live in a small town and I have 3 RV stores within a 20 miles radius and I would take this to them but one charges and arm and a leg and the other one charged me $300.00 to get a new control panel in my generator (after saying that's what it needed and I was fine paying that but my generator still doesn't work), and the 3rd one had my Rv for a week and never got to it after they said it would be fixed in a day. SO needless to say I am not giving him anymore business. Sorry about the rattling on but I am just looking for some info about the clogged drain.

A clogged RV sink drain is really no different than in a house. The drain goes into a holding tank, but so what?  It has a standard P-trap under the sink, and usually a rather short length of standard 1.5" drain pipe to the gray holding tank, so not much place to have a clogged pipe. Check the P-traps first. Also see if there is a strainer or + type cross piece in the drain itself. Those get clogged with hairs or soap easily. You can use standard drain cleaner chemicals if they are labeled "septic safe".

Thanks Gary! I have tried the drain cleaner maybe try it again I am sure it is something very simple. The people I bought the Rv from could have just left it sitting there and been too lazy to tend to it. I am learning a lot of what they said isn't fact haha.

Take the P trap apart. Something solid may have fallen in there some how. Only takes a few minutes to check it.

One day shortly after I bought my 5ver my kitchen sink decided to stop draining.  I did what anyone would do, removed the p-trap, cleaned it out, and re-installed it.  Still wouldn't drain.  The clear 45? elbow I have on my 3" sewer line was empty so I knew my sewer hose wasn't clogged.  I used a plumbers snake to verify no obstructions between the sewer outlet on the RV and the outlet on the gray tank.  So I knew the problem was in the interior pipes, somewhere between the p-trap and the tank.  My snake wasn't long enough to go all the way through, so I had to devise a new plan.  I decided a nice flush of high pressure water might free whatever the obstruction was.  So now the problem was how to use my 3/4" hose to put pressure on my 1?" plumbing.  After much research, I could not find an adapter that would work so I went to the hardware store hoping to make something that would work out of PVC.  First I found a 3/4" female GHT x 3/4" female slip. Then I found a 1?" female thread x 1?" female slip.  Then it was just a matter of finding the adapters and bushings I needed to go from 3/4" female slip to 1?" female slip. It ended up being a 1?"x?" bushing, and a 2" piece of ?" pipe.  Put it all into place, test fit, then glued it together.  Now I could run my hose through a window and attach it directly to the plumbing without losing pressure or making a mess/getting wet.  The water in the sink did drain slowly so I wasn't too worried about a complete seal which might cause the pipe to bust under pressure, but just to be safe I decided to use a ball valve to slowly introduce pressure to the line, so it wouldn't bust if a complete seal occurred.  Since then I have had the same problem in my bathroom sink as well, and rectified it the same way, and I've helped a few neighbors here at the campground use it on their plumbing as well.

Pictures of the finished product (with horrible flat black paint job) attached below.

Attachments

• Adapter (1)-1.jpg
    Adapter (1)-1.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Adapter (2)-1.jpg
    Adapter (2)-1.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 18
  • Adapter (3)-1.jpg
    Adapter (3)-1.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Adapter (4)-1.jpg
    Adapter (4)-1.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Adapter (5)-1.jpg
    Adapter (5)-1.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 9
SeilerBird said:
jdq1986 - You need to reduce the dimensions of your photos to something like 800 x 600. They are unviewable at the current size.

I noticed that when I tried to click on them, but I didn't know if it was just my browser settings or not.  Can I reduce the size on the forum or do I need to do it separately and reload them?

[quote author=jdq]Can I reduce the size on the forum or do I need to do it separately and reload them?[/quote]

You'll need to re-size locally and re-upload.

FWIW if I right-click on one of the large images and select View image, the image displays just fine.

Most browsers will shrink the entire page if you use the "Ctrl -" key combo, but then you have to re-enlarge (Ctri+) afterwards. Much nicer for everyone if the images themselves were reduced to a more easily viewable size.

Some people will have no problem, depending on what software they have for viewing and it's settings. Like many, mine is set to default to 100% of the image size, but not all default that way and some people may have chosen another "normal" size.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom