Sink Won't Drain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vrollins

Has anyone ever run into this?  I'm new to RV living.  I emptied the grey tanks today so there is nothing in them.  About an hour later, I washed a sink full of dishes.  And the kitchen sink won't drain.  Bathroom sink drains, as does the shower, but not even a plunger helped the kitchen sink to drain.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Bail out the water then pull the trap apart and see if there's something in there like a butter knife etc..

I just happened to think and that's scary. You said you drained the tanks. How many tanks do you have?  Typically, there is a black tank for the toilet, a gray tank for the bathroom sink and shower and then many times  there's a tank just for the kitchen sink. Are you sure you drained the tank for the kitchen. If you're not sure, look around for another drain valve handle.

Go into your profile and create a signature for yourself telling us a little bit about you and your RV. It will help to know what you have for a rig.

Just like in a S&B plugged sink can usually be traced to a "P" trap plugged with crud.  Take the trap apart and clean it out.

That's good advice on the 2nd grey tank. I didn't realize I had one for the galley and busted it with pressure applied to the drain line. A $ 500.00 lesson

Thanks all.  I'm only 2 weeks into full time RV living so all of this comes new to me.  As I read through the manuals that came with the purchase, I tend to agree with Rene T because I know I have two grey tanks.  But I only have one grey release valve...unless there is another that is somewhat hidden...which could be the case.  In the operating panel there is only a grey drain handle and a black one.  But my owners manual recommends draining the grey, then the black and using the second gray for the flush.  That leads me to believe there is a hidden drain handle for the second grey perhaps.  I'll continue to look around tomorrow in the daylight to see if there is one that is not obvious.  Wouldn't make sense if one is hidden, but I can't rule that out.  I can rule out that there is a utensil stuck in the drain.  Worst case scenario, I'll call a plumber to see if there is a clog.  Appreciate all of the feedback.

In mine, the second gray handle was behind the drivers side rear wheel and it came out the side of the RV frame.

What do you have for a RV?  We may have a member with the exact make and model.

I found it.  Just as Rene T said I would!!!  I took my little flash light and crawled around under the RV and what do you think I found?  Under the kitchen in the galley behind the drivers' side wheels is a handle just like the grey and black release valves.  It sure was not marked to indicate it was there but draining the second tank is now on my agenda for tomorrow morning.  I'm hoping it will drain out of the same pipe that the other grey and black do...I'd hate to set it up and find the 2nd grey tank has a separate drain hole.

FYI... I own a 2013 Keystone Alpine 3535RL.  40ft with 4 slide outs. Purchased it used about a month ago.  I've parked it on my son and daughter-in-law's property and I'm living in it full time as I help the kids out with my grandkids.  We have hard wired into electric, water and gas and I have a septic company come and drain the black tank periodically.  The only item I need to take care of myself is draining the grey water.  Now that I know there is a second valve for the second grey tank I think I can handle it going forward.  It's all about living and learning!!

Hope this saves someone else a lot of time and effort in the future.  And I want to thank you all, and specifically Rene T, for your replies and in helping me out!
Vickie

Glad we could help Vickie.  Sometimes, manufactures will put a decal on the outside of the RV indicating there is a gray water tank drain valve below. If you look real close, you may find a small rectangle indicating where there was a decal at one time.

Oh, welcome to the best RV forum on the Web

Where do the kids' sewer water go?  Can you tap into that drain for your camper?

You say the black tank gets drained periodically.  GOOD!  If you do hook up to a drain line, continue this practice.  Search Poo Pile to see why!

Yes,  my son's home is in the country and their house was already set up with a separate "gray water" drainage system for their house.  So I dump the RV grey water into that.  Currently we're laying PVC pipe on the ground from the RV and dumping into the gray drainage but if full time RV living works for me, we'll eventually bury the pipe to the drainage.  But for right now, my son has created a great system for dumping the grey water.  The black tank will be emptied by a local sewer company.  Since I've only been in the RV full time for 3 weeks, I haven't gotten a full black tank yet so hoping that process goes smoothly when it happens.  I intend to ask the sewer company to flush with the grey tanks when they drain the black.  I've yet to know if they will do that.  I have to assume they will because the black MUST be flushed, either with grey or fresh water so I would think they would be ok with opening the grey after they do the black.  Time will tell.

Thanks again for all your support!

vrollins said:
I intend to ask the sewer company to flush with the grey tanks when they drain the black.  I've yet to know if they will do that.  I have to assume they will because the black MUST be flushed, either with grey or fresh water so I would think they would be ok with opening the grey after they do the black.

Shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure they drain the black tank first and close the valve, then open the gray water valves. I had a honey wagon do mine once and the guy wasn't familiar with RV systems. He opened both valves at the same time, with the end result being a contaminated gray water tank.

grashley said:
Where does this gray water go??  What does your son do with the black water from the house?

It's the latest fad in water conservation. Gray water is collected separately and recycled for irrigation.

HappyWanderer said:
It's the latest fad in water conservation. Gray water is collected separately and recycled for irrigation.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm... ALL water is "recycled" has nothing to do with conservation fads... been happening since GOD created this green earth!  ::)

Just sayin'  :-[

Keith

kwbush said:
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm... ALL water is "recycled" has nothing to do with conservation fads... been happening since GOD created this green earth!  ::)

Just sayin'  :-[

Keith

How long have you been separating the gray water at your house?

Gary [RVer Emeritus] said:
Contaminated? Seems to me the distinction between black & gray "contamination" is academic. Neither tank is useful for anything except waste.

It's a bit more difficult to flush solids out of the gray tank.

Depending on the cost put in the drains, a lot of people will use what is called a macerator.  It allows you to pump your waste uphill and quite a distance from your RV.  A quick Google of macerators brought up the linked article, and several sales locations:  http://www.doityourselfrv.com/rv-macerators/

Ed

HappyWanderer said:
How long have you been separating the gray water at your house?

I'm puzzled as to the nature of your question... We don't separate grey and black at home or anywhere for that matter, sewage is sewage, right?  Tree huggers strike again... Upon futher reading of this post it sounds like I'm calling HappyWanderer a tree hugger... That is not the case, tree hugger enviromentalists that would separate sewage are the wacko's... Heck, they used human excrement to fertilize the fields in Southeast Asia and for all I know still do. Sorry Wanderer but I still don't understand your question after repeated readings.

Keith

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thumpercolt
Back
Top Bottom