Sioux Falls SD to Balloon Festival in New Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Not A Clue

We will be heading down this route soon and wondered if anyone had any tips for roads to travel or places to stay. We were thinking 29 out of Sioux Falls to 385 south and through Raton New Mexico. We like averaging about 200 to 250 miles per day. Thanks!

The route I take to Yuma AZ every fall is nice, avoids high mountain passes and heavy interstate traffic.

From Sioux Falls go S on 29 to St Jo Mo.  get on 59 to Atchison Ks, mostly flat and runs beside the Atchison, Topeka and the Santa Fe Railroad.  To Topeka Ks to Wichita Ks on I-335 to I-35.

Now the good part, Pick up 54 to Liberal Ks to Dalhart TX and then on into Tucumcari NM.

This is the Snow Bird Route for those who go S for the winter to NM and AZ. 

If you want to climb Mountain Passes just for the heck of it, I for one find no redeeming benefit for doing do.  Go the way you were thinking. 

Tucumcari is on I-40.  There are plenty of RV Parks along the way for over night stays cheap. 

We normally take 6 days from Waterloo Ia to Yuma AZ 1800+ miles.  Albuquerque NM is a short jump from Tucumcari.  The whole route is mostly flat and relatively low traffic compared to an Interstate.

As Tom states, the route above is very popular, and we have run it multiple times.

Back
Top Bottom