sitting still for several months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sadrand

I am close to purchasing my first motorhome (gas) and plan to workamp.  It looks like I will be in one place for about 5 or 6 months working, so this is not exactly storing the motorhome since I will be living in it, but I won't be driving it for those 5 or 6 months.  Can you give me some advice as to what needs to be done to keep the motorhome in good shape while not travelling - do I need to start and run the engine every so often, cover the tires, jack some weight off the tires, put a stabilizer in the gas tank... those types of things.  Thanks in advance.

It is not necessary or even desirable to run the engine.  Taking some weight off the tires is a good idea, but you will probably have the jacks down anyway. Covering the tires is a hotly debated subject - some people think it extends the life, while others (like me) think it is of little or no value.

Your fuel will be fine for 5-6 months, but a stabilizer never hurts.

Many motorhomes don't charge the chassis battery when parked and hooked up to electricity.  If your rig is one of these, get a trickle charger like this one to keep the chassis battery from discharging.

After you sit in one place for that length of time check things out before you leave.  Check the pressure in all the tires, check the oil and water level in the engine, make sure nothing has set up camp in the engine compartment, etc.  Then when you do start out, take it slow and easy for the first mile or two until the oil in the engine, transmission and rear axle gets a chance to warm up and circulate to all the parts.  Don't just leave the campground and immediately start driving at highway speeds.

According to your manual you will need to run the generator once a month or so for an hour with a load - AC or electric heater.

I have been pretty good about that until last summer when we were parked for 7 months due to a death in the family.
It would not start when we were ready to leave.  When we got to AZ I got it started but it would only run for a few minutes and then die. I kept starting and running it and finally the carburetor got clean and it runs fine now.

If you know you will be sitting for several months or longer I would put in the recommended amount of Seafoam(or other stabilizer) before you reach your destination so it has time to get thru the entire fuel system.  Run the generator also to get the treated fuel thru it also.

Clay L said:
According to your manual you will need to run the generator once a month or so for an hour with a load - AC or electric heater.

I have been pretty good about that until last summer when we were parked for 7 months due to a death in the family.
It would not start when we were ready to leave.  When we got to AZ I got it started but it would only run for a few minutes and then die. I kept starting and running it and finally the carburetor got clean and it runs fine now.

Clay... your 2004 MH has a carburetor?  I thought that fuel injection pretty much took over the auto world in about 1987 or so.  Interesting.

Ed

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Ed, Clay is talking about his generator.

Ah, so.  Now that makes sense.  Not sure why that did not occur to me earlier. Thanks for the clarification.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom