Sizing up Truck to RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chicobico

Good morning World

My wife and I presently presently thinking about downsizing,  kids on they're own. So we have been looking at some RV's mainly the Toy Haulers. We own a 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 HD with the Cumin's diesel (6.7), also it's a 4x4 Laramie srw Can it pull the 40+ foot Toy Hauler? If air bags where installed would help?
I look forward to someones response
Chicbico

Hi there,

The units we have been looking at are the Cyclone by Heartland. one weighs 14,750lbs hitch weight is 3250 lbs and another unit is also a Cyclone it weighs 14,800 lbs and hitch weight is 3090 lbs

Chicobico

Without looking (yet) I'd say you are probably within the trucks rating, but those trailers are kinda heavy obviously. Hitch weight is up there too.  ???

Chicobico said:
Good morning World

My wife and I presently presently thinking about downsizing,  kids on they're own. So we have been looking at some RV's mainly the Toy Haulers. We own a 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 HD with the Cumin's diesel (6.7), also it's a 4x4 Laramie srw Can it pull the 40+ foot Toy Hauler? If air bags where installed would help?

Chicobico said:
Hi there,

The units we have been looking at are the Cyclone by Heartland. one weighs 14,750lbs hitch weight is 3250 lbs and another unit is also a Cyclone it weighs 14,800 lbs and hitch weight is 3090 lbs

The short answer is no -- withone exception

Both those trailers have a Gross Vehicle Weight of 18,000 lbs.  What you cited were unladen/dry weights.  I assume you plan to haul something in those trailers.  Being that they are toy haulers, I suspect that something would be a bit more than clothes, utensils, food, and water. 

You spec a 2011 Dodge with a 6.7L, SRW, and 4x4.  You do not spec cab or bed length.  Most importantly, you do not spec the rear axle ratio.    A perusal of Trailer Life's tow rating table for 2011 indicates a very wide range of tow ratings for that truck depending on cab, transmission and axle ratio. 

The only combination of that would not be grossly over-matched by your trailers would be a truck with a 6-speed automatic and a 4.10:1 rear axle.  I assume that you will want a long bed.  With that assumption, the best rating would be 17,300 lbs for a long bed with a regular cab.  Even that rating is 700 lbs below par for the trailers.  Other transmission and axle combinations top out at 13,700 lbs, some 4300 lbs under-rated for the trailers. 

Moreover, we had not even considered the Rear Axle Weight Rating of your truck versus the tongue weight of your trailer when it is loaded.  We use 25% of trailer GVWR to estimate that.  (Air bags aren't going to give you anything here.)

I fear the best you can say for your truck with these big trailer, is that it is marginal.  If I were you, I would nail down your actual truck tow rating with Dodge and start looking for trailer with a GVWR less than than that tow rating.  10% less for an additional safety factor might well be worth considering, depending on the type of toys you going to be playing with.

R. J. Barton said:
Wow, those gross weights are crazy!  :eek:

I'm not sure I'd want to pull something that heavy with a pickup truck.  :-X

Yeah....well into Medium Duty territory.  At least give me a heads up so I'm BEHIND you going down the hill....  ;D

Frizlefrak said:
Yeah....well into Medium Duty territory.  At least give me a heads up so I'm BEHIND you going down the hill....  ;D

I think so, having too little truck or even being borderline is just akin for it in MHO.  ???

Your problem is the 3500 SRW Dodge and its paltry 10100 GVWR with 6500 RAWR and a 13xxx lb tow rating with a 3.73 axle ratio.  Dodge says payloads range up to around 3000 lbs.

Your truck would be severally overloaded in its stock condition with that big trailer.  IMO a 3500 DRW with those big 9350 RAWR would be a minimum size truck for a 18000 lb trailer

Adding bags or add more springs in the main spring pack/upgrade to 19.5" wheels and tires would help with carrying more weight. However "push" on the back of the truck from a 18k trailer when braking on a downhill curve on wet road can result in a jackknifed rig.

I would look a trailers with around 2500-2700 lbs of dry pin weight

glockholiday said:
Definitely shop for trailers by their gross weight not unloaded weight.

... and by the trailer weight rating of your tow vehicle.

Like the other have always stated gasoline powered engine take a 10-20% weight loss with mountain roads.

Good morning to all,
I just like to thank the responses to my question. I have a much clearer understanding of the weight my truck can and cannot handle. So don't worry I will not go down a sleep hill overloaded...lol.....Thanks again. To Carl L I'm sorry for double posting...

Have a great day!!
Chicobico

youd have plenty power and maybe stability on hways, but on hills, curves needing to slow will take its tole on that rig even with both axels on the trailer with brakes, i pulled our nemar 18500 with a f350 no problem till needed to slow down, made me pucker up fast,  no way would i ever attemp to go over seriouse mntns with that setup, pull mine now with a fld 120 freightliner, air brakes all around, dont even flintch on a curve, dont let that hd dodge fool ya, it has its limits like all of em and at these weights your past its limit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom