SLEEPING ARRANGEMENTS FOR 1 LARGE DOG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tbonenina

MY HUBBY AND I ARE GOING ON AN 8-9 MONTH TRIP TO  SEE THE NATIONAL PARKS, HIKE ETC. SOON AND TAKING OUR 10 YR OLD VERY WELL BEHAVED GOLDEN DOODLE. SHE SLEEPS OUTSIDE NOW IN HER DOGHOUSE..BUT IS HAPPY ANYWHERE.  WE ARE UNSURE OF THE  BEST SLEEPING ARRANGEMENTS FOR HER ON THE TRIP.  IF IT'S VERY COLD WE WILL BRING HER INSIDE, BUT SHE REALLY PREFERS TO BE OUTSIDE.  MY HUSBAND THOUGHT WE COULD HAVE A " PLASTIC CURTAIN" MADE TO FIT UNDER THE BED AREA OF OUR 5TH WHEEL CREATING A NICE SPACE WHERE WE COULD  PUT A CRATE WITH HER BLANKETS ETC. IN THAT.  BUT WE HAVE CONCERNS.
1.  ANIMALS COMING AROUND IN THE NIGHT..SKUNKS?
2.  SHOULD WE TIE HER SO SHE CAN ROAM THE AREA AND GO IN AND OUT OF THE CRATE, OR LOCK HER IN THE CRATE

WOULD IT BETTER TO JUST HAVE HER ALWAYS SLEEP INSIDE AND JUST PUT A CRATE UNDER THE 5TH WHEEL  AREA FOR DAYTIME USE?

DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH THIS?
THANK YOU

I would have her sleep inside. Skunks would only be one worry - coyotes, bears, porcupines, snakes. She'll be safer and happier inside.

Additionally, many state and federal parks forbid leaving pets outside at night.

You will find that nearly every place you go will require you to attend your dog at all times. You will have to be outside with him and he will have to be in your control.
That being said, I use a folding panel dog pen and my dogs love it. But they still are only outside if I am.

Also some if not most parks do not allow you to leave your pet alone in the RV while you are gone. This can usually be gotten around if he does not bark while you are gone. Many parks get complaints of barking dogs while the owner is away and that can be very disturbing to other in the campground.

We also have a large dog, a 70 + lb Standard Poodle, named Charlie.  Just as added information, dogs can not be on the trails in any National Park and I believe also at the discretion of National Monuments.  They are allowed on trails in the National Forest.

We travel with Charlie everywhere so it can be done.  The dog needs to be quiet in the RV when you are gone and on a leash or a pen when you are parked.  Many campgrounds have dog exercise areas so you can play ball and get some social time with other dogs; however you will probably not find that in a National Park.

Have fun!

Marsha~

Doge like children need to be well behaved, otherwise you will be asked to leave. Never, NEVER leave them outside at night.  Here in the far west, there are all sorts of nastie's in the woods.  Snakes, and skunks are just two of them.  Out last Lab liked to sleep under the dinette, and we ended up putting his bed under there day and night.  Our current Lab has a nice large fluffy bed for night time.  Daytime it is our bed.  Dogs will always find a comfortable place to settle down.  Follow all the parks rules and he/she will have a great time traveling with you.

We travel with two large dogs. One is 105 pounds and the other is 70 pounds. We would never allow them to sleep outside. All sort of critters on the ground. Our smaller dog sleeps in our closet. The other lab sleeps either on his bed or on the couch. Or sometimes they share the couch or the bed. During the day when we are playing, they usually sleep on our bed. 

Marsha/CA said:
Just as added information, dogs can not be on the trails in any National Park and I believe also at the discretion of National Monuments.
Dogs are allowed on some trails in National Parks. The Rim Trail at the Grand Canyon and the Pa'rus Trail in Zion are two that I can think of immediately.

Sorry to be blunt, but it is dangerous to leave your dog tied up outside at night. Not only are they unprotected from predators, they can't even run away. Plus, dogs are pack animals, they should be with their people.

If I may add some insight...
My wife and I have always owned large dogs. German Shepards, Austrailian Shepards, Dobermans, etc.

Many great points made reading the replies.  Let me offer what may be of help.  We purchased a cheap dog bed that fits under our kitchen table in our TT.  As mentioned before, dogs are pack animals and they look to their owners as "the pack".  Doggy will be more comfortable being as close to the pack as possible.  Inside at night.  While traveling, the dog is going to experience new surroundings frequently and for extended periods of time.  Puppy dog needs a "happy place" in the RV that can be called their own.  Someplace in the RV where the dog can retreat to and feel comfortable and safe.  Some dogs are happy out in the open areas.  Our German Shepard likes "cave like" areas when can't be with us due to company visiting or out on excursions.  Hence, the bed under the kitchen table.  When we need to leave her behind for some reason, we throw the bed under the kitchen table and she gets the drift.  She can still roam throughout the TT (great security system) and she still has her own spot to relax and take a nap.  Works well for us and hope you get some ideas that help. 

Please keep in mind that while you are surveying these National Parks, that they are mostly forested wildlife areas too. Skunks will be the least of your worries at night. Think instead, coyotes, wolves, large cats and bears. A bear can easily tear apart a crate in no time.
Most RV Parks will NOT let you house your dog outside while you slumber. We don't allow that. And, no, you cannot leave your dog unattended in your camper while you go to the Grand Canyon. It's in the rules you sign when you register here.
Here in Williams, AZ. There is a boarding kennel at the Train Resort as long as you have all of your vaccination paperwork on hand for them. No exceptions on that.
So, just because your dog "prefers" to be outside, he should not be unless you are. Personally, my dog is where ever I am, or with a sitter. She sleeps in my bed at night. You might have to train your dog to "learn" to sleep inside during your trip, the places you are going are not amusement parks, they are wild areas with wild animals, not to mention RV Parks with other pets.
(Some areas, like mine will allow you to camp outside of town in the woods..dogtown for instance..but there are no hookups. There are mountain lions and coyotes, however)

You will find many campgrounds are near the edge of communities.  More and more of these edges are having problems with wild animals like mountain lions, coyotes, etc. and any animal or small child outside alone is at risk.

An example of what is happening occurred in Missoula MT recently where a mountain lion came into town.  This is a city of over 50,000 but is located with forest nearby.

Jim Godward said:
You will find many campgrounds are near the edge of communities.  More and more of these edges are having problems with wild animals like mountain lions, coyotes, etc. and any animal or small child outside alone is at risk.

An example of what is happening occurred in Missoula MT recently where a mountain lion came into town.  This is a city of over 50,000 but is located with forest nearby.

Tell me about it, Jim.  We have mountain lions here in urban Los Angeles --- in the city, in Griffith Park no less!  We are talking a city of some 12.5 million people.  The are not many tho and true to their name, they are in the mountains -- including the Santa Monicas.  Some have managed to cross freeways tho.

What there are are lots of are coyotes, loads of them.  They routinely attack domestic pets, including dogs.  It takes a pretty fearsome dog to stand off coyotes -- dogs on the order of malemutes, wolfhounds, or pit bulls.  Beyond such critters, a dog penned or leashed outside is just coyote bait.

Carl,

Where my son lived in Orange Co. they had a goat killed in the next yard by a Mountain lion and had to make sure the horse stalls were closed with heavy fencing to keep the lions away from the horses.  In Villa Park a short ways up the road fro him, they have taken dogs, cats. etc., in the day time and people are urged to not let the little kids out unaccompanied by an adult.  I won't mention the coyotes as they are even in Long Beach which is miles from any mountains.

The freeways are a highway for the animals as well as humans.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gregcss43
Back
Top Bottom