Slide Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carney3

The big round warm thing in the sky is to be out here this weekend!!!! I hope all that have been snow bound get to see it also! So ready to get the TT ready for the fishing trips!! I've been searching the library here and my owners manual for info about routine maintenance that is required on the slides.  Not much found in either place. Was wondering if anyone would share what they do to keep things functioning properly and what is recommended to put on the seals. I purchased a product by Liquid Wrench that was recommended for lubricating the seals. I haven't used any on the seal yet because when I tested it on a seal on my truck door it made a white streak where it was sprayed, maybe that's what it's suppose to do? Any help would be really appreciated. Oh yeah, I have a Jayco Eagle 314BHDS just in case the info is needed.

I've never put anything on a seal. Theirs some type of liquid on one side of every seal. I remember way way back I had a old Honda and put Slick 50 in it. was supposed to keep all the old seals in great shape. I couldn't keep oil in it from then on.

Slide seals really don't need anything, but you can use a dry silicone lube if you feel you must.  What most people call the "seal" is actually just a flapper/wiper to brush off standing water, insects and such as the slide comes in. The actual seal is a D-shaped piece of rubber mounted on the frame where it presses against the sidewall.

How long should these flipper/wipers last?  I'm sure it would depend on whether you're storing inside or not, but for most of you that are full timing, I don't think your covered, right?  So, in that situation, how long before you have to have them replaced?  We had one rip on our old rig, got brittle.  Cost me $800 to replace them on 3 slides.  I wasn't sure it that was just a bad wiper or not.

Thank you for your responses! I haven't had any problems with them in the two years that I've had the TT. Except when DW held the slide switch in the in position instead of the out position, I got soaked lying on my back trying to access the motor and to free it up. Slide switches are off limits for her now, problem solved. I just check to make sure there's a light coat of grease on the area that has grease on them.  The salesman kept saying to keep the seals lubricated. As long as the slides are waxed when I wax the rest of the TT I have felt like that would keep things sliding smoothly as far as that goes. Love this forum and the people on here! Always tell campers I meet about it and all the helpful info I find on here. Have yet to meet any members, though one day I'll be so lucky!

How long should these flipper/wipers last?

Many, many years. There are lots of early 90's rigs running around with the originals still intact. The more usual problem is that the wiper gets detached from the side of the RV. This can be caused by sloppy installation, tree branches or other roof top debris catching on it, window frames (on the ends of the slides), ice/snow, etc.

Our MH is a '98.  We fulltimed and moved a lot for 10 years.  Have not had any trouble with the slide or seals.  I do nothing to them.  Many so called "treatments" do harm to rubber or plastic.  Perhaps dusting off the slide walls might help with preservation if the area is dusty??

After washing have always used armor all, makes them look and feel soft, not sure if extends the life or not.  Makes me feel better, guess that's why I do it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom