Slide not working

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rdanger

Good morning from NH...where we have waited 7 months to begin our RVng adventure and wouldn't you know it, we have an issue!

Last winter my husband tried starting the engine to our 2007 Winnebago Vista and in the process heard a Warning chime from the dashboard, a "POP", and then smoke coming from the monitor...we both "assumed" there was a monitor problem....so, we took the monitor out, a friend checked all the wiring and found there wasn't a problem with the monitor. 
And, in fact the back up monitor works fine now......however, today as we prepared to pack up to leave for the holiday, we couldn't extend the slide..in fact there are no lights on the monitor itself, no power, checked all the fuses and even checked the hydraulic jacks which work fine......what we discovered is that somehow, just about 2 inches of the left bottom slide had not completely been withdrawn into the motorhome, assumably during our putting it to bed in November......now the dilemma.....

Is it the motor?  could it be a a fuse that we blew within the dashboard????  can't find any reason why something in the dashboard would be connected to the motor for the slide?

Any suggestions?
Thank you

We have had slides in three different rigs.  The first had shear pins that would break if the slide mechanism hit anything in the storage compartment while extending or retracting (probably would have if we tried to open it against a tree too).  The next one had the manual release lever right where items in the storage compartment could shift and disengage it.  We carried inventory for our business so the compartments were always packed.  Electrically we never had any issues but I always check fuses first.  If the slide mechanism is accessible spraying the moving parts with silicon spray lubricant is a good thing.  If your slide is staying open on one side I would look for mechanical issues like a broken pin or bolt for that side.

The control for the slide is possibly what isn't working, and that may be powered from the dash. That control in turn activates a relay that actually powers the slide motor. Is the slide control switch near the dash?  Are you saying the monitor (rear camera?) isn't working either?

No Gary, that was another issue......that got resolved.

The slide control switch is located above the control panel opposite the fridge.......so, where would this relay be located?  anywhere in the dash????? because that's where the popping sound and smoke came from .????
Thanks

AND BTW here in southern NH, there is basically only one repair shop we could bring it to and they have a 3 month wait, which means that summer will be over for us before we even start

Does anyone know about a warning bell that can be heard coming from the dash?  SEE PREVIOUS INITIAL POST PLEASE>>> and can I access the relay switch for the slide in the dashboard?????

...today as we prepared to pack up to leave for the holiday, we couldn't extend the slide..in fact there are no lights on the monitor itself, no power,...
What is the "monitor" in this sentence, then?

No, I would not expect the slide motor relay/controller to be in the dash. However, the fuse panel that powers it might be.

Warning chimes ought to be covered in your owner manual - Winnebago is pretty good about that. If not, a call to Winnie Customer Service should get help. Typical warnings are "jacks down" or "slide out" when the ignition is on. Mine even has one for "antenna up".

You might have to gamble and drive to a place with more RV services. Alpin Haus in Amsterdam, NY, isn't all that far and maybe they can get you in sooner? Or maybe Van's in Hartford, CT?

Gary:

Actually it is the monitor about the equipment panel on the wall which states whether or not the slide is in or out...red and green light

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom