Slide out utility tray

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got a similar setup in one of my bays using full extension slides from Lowes. Have a 6 drawer Kobalt tool box mounted to the slides which are bolted to the compartment floor using angle and fender washers. Slides are mounted to the angle and the box using pop rivets. Don't know the exact weight of the box but its loaded and has Ben riding fine for 2 years. I'll try to get some pics for you tomorrow.

A new addition to our Horizon is the stainless steel Kobalt tool chest, I think it also has six drawers.  This is sounding more and more like a project I'm going to jump into after the summer travels.  I found some Knape & Vogt slides rated at 300 pounds for vehicle use, interestingly they rate the slides at different capacities for different applications:

Suggested load ratings are as follows: limited use, 500 lbs.; day-to-day use, 400 lbs.; vehicular use, 300 lbs.; flat mount use, 180 lbs.

John, here's a few pics of my toolbox slide. As you can see, it's loaded up and has ridin well for the last 2 years. I have space under and behind for the stuff you need out here. 

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 27
JaKM said:
John, here's a few pics of my toolbox slide. As you can see, it's loaded up and has ridin well for the last 2 years. I have space under and behind for the stuff you need out here.
Looks extremely functional and simple! Here's a link to the one I bought at Lowes.  I wish there was one deeper drawer, but this one was sized perfectly to make use of the bay space.

BinaryBob said:
I'm just finishing up the wiring on mine. Should have a few pics later.
Wiring - are you going to motorize it?!  Hmmm, push a button and the tool box extends out, I'm liking that idea  :D ...

John Canfield said:
Wiring - are you going to motorize it?!  Hmmm, push a button and the tool box extends out, I'm liking that idea  :D ...

That would be nice! Actually, I put 110v and 12v recepticles in the cargo to power the dometic cooler while we're rolling and when we're on shore power.

John Canfield said:

I know of 2 of us who have motorized the lifting of the bed to gain access underneath it.  Sure saves Pat's back and keeps me away so mine is not strained either.  :)

John Hilley said:
What linear actuator did you use?

I used a 150# 12v one from these people,  www.firgelliauto.com/.

If you search "linear actuator" there are many.  At the time I used Firgelli as they had the best price.  I also used one on an antenna lift for a Shakespeare 3 to 30 MHZ antenna that will be mounted on the MH.

I believe Richard Sharp used a pneumatic one from Grainger in his MH.

I think I just found out how to make a powered tool chest slide - thanks to Jim's link  :)Here's a mini track actuator.  I like the idea of a linear actuator to raise and lower an HF ham antenna, I'd love to take my Kenwood TS-590S on the road.

Well.... here it is.
In hindsight, I would have preferred to use perforated angle iron rather than wood like JaKM did in his pictures. But I'm comfortable with the slides as they are. No major disasters. Except for some reason I cross wired the 12V receptacle installation. hah.. In-line fuses are my friend....  :eek:
Also put a 110 outlet next to the 12V. The cooler accepts both.
When I remodeled my home in 07 the only part subcontracted out was the cabinetry. (with good reason.)
Thanks again for everyones assistance and patience.
I'm ready to roll!

Attachments

• Tray project 1.jpg
    Tray project 1.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Tray project 2.jpg
    Tray project 2.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Tray project 3.jpg
    Tray project 3.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Tray project 4.jpg
    Tray project 4.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Tray Cargo Bottom.jpg
    Tray Cargo Bottom.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 21
Very nice Bob!  My only suggestion would have been to paint the 2x4s black so it looks a little less intrusive.  The flat bar on the bottom was a good idea, with the bar you didn't need the fender washers, but it doesn't really matter.

No bed lift. lol.
I enjoy tinkering with the MH, but this project was a pain. Also had to return the first cooler as the compressor wouldn't run.

John, I'm NOT taking this thing apart to paint the wood!  ;D (It is a good idea though)
I thought the fender washers might relieve the pressure of the bolt on the fiberglass. Oops...looks like the steel does that. Oh well.. an extra 60 cents.
BTW... The total cost of the wood and hardware came to $142. The electrical I had laying around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom