Slide-Out Weather Stripping/Gasket coming off??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcb

Our MPG is only 10 months old, and now the weather stripping for the slide is coming off the body; looks like the glue or glue on the 2-sided tape was not up to spec. Since we are the 2nd owners, we have no warranty, but hard to believe the gasket is falling off after only 10 months.

The gasket itself is in excellent condition, and it looks like I would only need to take the gasket off, remove the old double sided tape/glue, apply new double sided tape, and re-install; OR is there some adhesive/glue I could use rather than having to remove all the weather stripping??

Any of you guys experienced this? What is the fix?

Attachments

• IMG_1654.JPG
    IMG_1654.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 25
I don't know about yours but mine has screws every 6" or so to hold it in place. The double sided tape was only there to help with the installation. On mine the 'hole' for the slide opening  has a metal frame around it and the screws are fastened into it . 

Have you seen any other like yours for comparison purposes???

Should you decide to tackle this yourselves, use short stainless screws with some kind of washer under the head to prevent piercing the material.

Mine came off, got caught up in the slide, so I had to replace it.  The replacement came with a peel and stick tape on the gasket.  Well, that lasted about a week, but this time I was looking for it, so I went and got some non water soluable clear silicon and used that to glue it down properly.  It has held for over 2 years, no sign of peeling, and the gasket still looks new.

Ed

Our gasket has done the exact same thing - and there are no screws holding it on. I've recently bought some Devcon Rubber Adhesive based on the recommendations of my local hardware store, but haven't tried it out yet. Devcon makes another product called zip grip (I found it on their website) that also has potential for binding rubber to fiberglass. The other option that was suggested was industrial strength two-sided bonding tape. This can be hard to find unless you know a supplier and everything I've seen online requires orders by the case.

I asked at a camping store and they recommended gorilla glue, but if you read its specs it does not say it will adhese to rubber/vinyl.

Stop by any auto body shop and ask where they get there tape  You may even be able to buy a roll or 2 from them.  I got a short piece for free but the price for a roll was not bad.  also some auto parts stores have small rolls so double check NAPA, etc.

Look up auto body paints ands supplies in your area they will sell 3m two sided tape by the roll

Use one of the 3M auto trim tapes or the 3M weather strip/trim adhesive. There are several variants of each and all are excellent.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3M_Automotive/OEMs/Product_Center/Products_By_Segment/Exterior/Tape-Attached_Trim/

Ww have had a pretty much constant battle with slide seals coming off. Shops have replaced them several times, fortunately under warranty from the shop that rebuilt both seal setups in 2009. One shop recently added adhesives to the 3M tape, after thoroughly cleaning the frame surface. They also suggested using a rubber softening or lubricating spray, or just silicon spray, to help soften the rubber and lessen the stress on the edge that is glued to the frame. Also, our seals are a one-sided rubber piece. Presently, one seal is again slightly separating after less than a week out of the shop.

The last shop suggested replacing these seals, that are kind of shaped like a sideways b, with a U-shaped piece that fits over the pultrusion (flange mounted to frame), shaped so there is a 3/4" sweep that contacts the slide room. (Kind of a sideways y-shape, I guess.) (We have a double seal system, so the pultrusion has two flanges, one about a half inch inside the other, each with its own rubber seal. This replaced Country Coach's single-flange system with smaller, less-effective seals, when the shop did our street side wall rebuild to remove black mold.)

Attachments

• North-Wall-seal3_20110621_0264wb.jpg
    North-Wall-seal3_20110621_0264wb.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for the suggestion on an auto parts store for the 3M tapes - I will probably try that next since all the really good liquid adhesives are so messy to work with!

I used some 3M auto trim tape and it lasted many years. However make sure you clean off the old tape adhesive real good before putting on the new stuff. The old will allow the new to let go again. Local body shop gave me some and even helped me get the old adhesive off with some paint prep. Just make sure you don't use any adhesive/glue that you can't get off in the future if you have to replace the seals down the road. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinapple
Back
Top Bottom