Slide support ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dktool

What is the school of thought if slides should have ground support if they are to be left out long term...as in months.

Your avatar picture shows a motorhome, but you posted in the trailers and fifth wheels section, so I'll assume that you have a trailer of some sort. Almost every trailer manufacturer I've ever seen recommends AGAINST using any kind of support under a slide room. I can't speak for motorhomes, as I've never owned one, but would think that they are pretty much the same thing. The reason being is that if the trailer settles for some reason, like heavy rains or ????, if the slide is supported and does not settle along with the trailer, there could be significant damage to the slides. My owner's manual for my Grand Design Momentum specifically states to NEVER use any type of support under a slide room.

No - Never!

If the primary levelers where to shift/sink or re-level, the slide would be torqued. Even the customary rocking of a MH as you walk around can cause abuse. (Motorhomes remain on their tires and suspension while the levelers do not totally lift the MH off the ground, thus, there can be enough shifting to "rock the boat.")

Reactions: SMR
Maybe this will put it in perspective. When setting up I use x style chocks between the wheels that need to be tightened after a couple of hours because the tires cooled off and got just a bit smaller. Bring that change out three feet and that slide support that was installed when you set up is now pushing the outside end of the slide up in a way it was not designed for. The other scenario is if a tire went flat your trailer would now be lower on that side and would probably do major damage to the slide and/or the frame. Slide out supports are best used to make saw table extensions.

Consider what would be the result if you use extra support on the slide and then the RV should settle by an inch or more. Also, if you should get a high, gusty wind on the side of the RV that pushes it against the props under your slide? As you may have guessed, I do not recommend them.

Those were originally designed for the old "tip-out" rooms of the 1970's. They did/do not have the necessary support when tilted out, and are free-moving at the top, hinged at the bottom. It usually required to men to lift and tip one out.
1710207415226.jpeg

I asked this knowing the potential problems doing this if there is movement / settling, in the scenario I'm thinking of the trailer (full width including slide) would be on a concrete pad with all weight off of the axles and frame supported in 6 places.

Just spit-balling for now...

And yes, I own a class A, my daughter bought a new 25' Winnebago (with some really stupid factory issues) that will using as a nearly permanent residence for a year plus.

Last edited:
Interesting replies. Good to know.
For the OP, if your on cement, on blocks with no weight on axles/tires……..well that’s different. You would be fine barring a big earthquake, winds strong enough yoblow unit off blocks, etc. LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom