Slideout Motor Failure. Looking for thermal switch location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

almostgone

I have a 2013 Outback 277RL travel trailer.  This past weekend the slideout motor failed to operate.  We went camping anyway as I used my drill motor to actuate the slide out... what a bitch that was! 

I talked to a technician at Camping world, where I purchased the unit, and he told me that a big source of slideout problems is the thermal switch used to protect the motor from overheating.  The problem is that he didn't know for sure where this device is located.  Before tearing into the thermal barrier underneath the trailer I thought I would see if anybody might be able to shed some light on this.  Does anyone know where the thermal switch for the slideout motor is located.

Thanks

Haven't heard of there being a thermal switch, or problems with one if it exists.

Slide motors don't run long enough to get hot, so that's rarely an issue. More likely problems are a bad switch, a blown fuse (or 12v circuit breaker), a failed motor controller, or a limit switch that is out of position. Can you get at the motor to jump 12v direct to it and see if it runs? Or test for power to the motor controller.

Most slides I've seen have used the little resettable circuit breakers - the ones in the little cans with two terminals sticking out the top.  They work via thermal heating, so maybe the technician was referring to them.

Are the slides all electric or electric/hydraulic? What happens when you hit the switch? Do you here a click, does the slide lurch a little, or is it like no power to the motor?

If they are electric Power Gear slides use a small control board that shuts down the motor when it runs up against the slide stop. If you have a loose or weak connection they will trip before the slide moves.

Thanks for the input.  I found them.  They are located on the tongue as one of the post pointed out.  However, that's not the problem.  On to the motor!  Will update later.

Back
Top Bottom