slideout seal replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arogers

I've noticed that my slideout seal appears to be coming loose when the slide out is in motion.  I've also found some pieces of rusted staples where it appears that it is coming loosse.  Its a 1999 newmar american star.  How difficult are these to replace and where would one find a replacement seal?

thanks

I'm also interested in the answer to this one.  My 2000 Holiday Rambler slide seals are starting to look a little worn.  No leakage or tears yet, but I'd like to do something before there is a real problem.

I have replaced the slide out seal on my Jayco just two years ago.  My only complaint was Jayco sells the seal in one length only.  Regardless of size of slide out.  Had to grab my wallet!

Anyhow, easy to replace from the exterior of mine.  I retracted the slide out about 6 inches, pulled off the old seal (with care and this is where you will see where the rusted "staples" come from), cleaned all mating surfaces, installed the new seal, and trimmed the ends to fit.  I cut the two upper corners of the seal that come in contact with the slide out for a tighter fit and made sure that the horizontal part of the seal overlapped the vertical sections to prevent water from being directed inside the seal.  I then used a high quality white silicone sealer along the horizontal section and down approx. 3 inches down the upper corners where the seal meets the RV body on the vertical sides. 

So far, so good.  No problems or leaks.  Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasondenman
Back
Top Bottom