slideout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OLDRACER said:
My slide has never faltered again, but I always give a big sigh of relief when I push the button and it actually moves.

I think I would as soon be without them, slides are a big thing to go bad, with "stuck somewhere" possibilities that I cannot repair myself in a pinch.

At least my Lance camper had a crank, which could be put in place to wind it in our out if the electric system failed, which it never did.

Well, my worst fear came true. Two days ago on my way to Florida, the slideout wouldn't respond while in the open position. I retracted the levelers, releveled and what do you know, the slideout once again retracted when I pressed the switch. Here in Florida, it opened just fine and each day i've tested it and it has worked.

I just don't know what to do. I feel snakebit. It's enough to want to trade the beast in on an Airstream  ;D

Richard

whitegs said:
Well, my worst fear came true. Two days ago on my way to Florida, the slideout wouldn't respond while in the open position. I retracted the levelers, releveled and what do you know, the slideout once again retracted when I pressed the switch. Here in Florida, it opened just fine and each day i've tested it and it has worked.

I just don't know what to do. I feel snakebit. It's enough to want to trade the beast in on an Airstream  ;D

Richard
it really sounds like a grounding issue, and when you shift the chassis around it changes the ground connection probably to the area where the motors are bolted down.

you could run some ground wires from the chassis to the motor mounting bolts.

TonyDtorch said:
it really sounds like a grounding issue, and when you shift the chassis around it changes the ground connection probably to the area where the motors are bolted down.

you could run some ground wires from the chassis to the motor mounting bolts.

I'll try anything.

I looked at the manual and it appears I have to practically tear the thing apart to get to the slideout motor mounting bolts. Bummer.

get a battery jumper cable and clip one end to a clean part of the frame and the other end to any clean metal part of the slide.

it can't hurt anything as every part is supposed to be grounded.... and it could complete the ground connection to the motor area.

TonyDtorch said:
get a battery jumper cable and clip one end to a clean part of the frame and the other end to any clean metal part of the slide.

it can't hurt anything as every part is supposed to be grounded.... and it could complete the ground connection to the motor area.

Clever. Right now the slideout is working. If and when it fails again, I'll certainly try your suggestion.

Thanks.

Does the dash brake light always come on when you apply the parking brake? An intermittent switch on the brake pedal could cause this problem, and might not be noticed?  Slide will not move if no brake "on" signal is present

OLDRACER said:
Does the dash brake light always come on when you apply the parking brake? An intermittent switch on the brake pedal could cause this problem, and might not be noticed?  Slide will not move if no brake "on" signal is present

Thanks for the suggesation. The brake warning light was on and the other two slides worked so I don't think that was it.

But true confessions: I got so sick of things going wrong and having to drive 100 miles to get them fixed then 100 miles back that I traded the RV in on an Airstream trailer. Maybe a stupid emotional decision but there you go - I just couldn't keep using a machine that I had lost faith in. I never wanted to be trapped again at an overnight stop with a slideout that wouldn't come back in. Not that I might not have different troubles with the trailer, but I got a new F150 tow vehicle that rides so quietly and smoothly that I anticipate being able to get where I'm going much more comfortably. Of course, when moving my stuff out of the RV into the trailer, I found the lack of storage space could be a problem, but of course we take too much stuff with us anyway.

Richard

Recently visited an RV dealer and he had the same problem!!  Turns out the vehicle had to be on for the slideout to work.  This was discovered after many sales people and trying several different combinations.

You may have already discovered this.  Sorry if this is redundant.  Good luck!!!!

Back
Top Bottom