Slider Hitch???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chaz743

Hello all, I'm a new comer to the RV'ing world.  Just bought a 29' Cougar 5th wheel.  It does have the extended pin box, I drive a full size Toyota Tundra with a 6.5' bed.  The RV salesman tell me that I will need a slider hitch and they want to charge me like $1400.00 to install one.  I've talked to a couple of parts guys at the dealerships and they say that I really don't need one.  But I am concerened with cutting a corner sharp to manuver and getting my rear window into the corner of the 5th wheel?  I haven't actually installed any hitch yet.  Anyone have an opinion on this?

I drive a GMC with a short bed and do not have a slider.  I pull a 35 footer with no problem.  I also have an Lippert 1621 extended pin box.  I do not thinig you need one.  Check with the manufactuer for sure. 

I have a Dodge 2500 short bed and haul a 30 footer.  I bought the Reese slider and haven't used the slide once.  I try to be careful but once I did ding my truck cab making a sharp turn to get back on the highway (wouldn't have used the slider in that instance anyway). If you know the campsites you will be frequently stay then you may want to invest otherwise, based on my experience, you shouldn't need one.

Additionally, the one I have requires me to extend the legs, chock the wheel, release the slde and then move the truck then do the reverse procedure before making the turn.  It seems a liitle more effort than just paying attention to what you are doing.

I pull a 34 ft Montana with a short bed Chevy and the Reese slider. I have to use the slider every time I back the trailer into the parking area at my house because of the contour of the ground where I back into the parking area. There is a slight ditch that I have to back over when the truck is at the most angle to the trailer. When the rear truck tires go down into that ditch if the slider isn't back the trailer will go right into the rear window.

You didn't say what brand of hitch the dealer quoted you but it sounds high for a manual slide. I think the Reese slider is only an additional two hundred dollars over their regular hitch.  The dealer might be quoting you an automatic slider like the Pullrite, they're pretty pricey. I have to use my slider all the time and I still wouldn't spend the extra money for an automatic. It's a simple mater to slide the manual Reese. You just release the slider latch, apply the trailer brakes and pull forward.

My advice would to spend the extra money to get a slider and then to use it. Things can happen real quick when you're maneuvering in a tight spot on uneven ground. Take it from someone who's been there. :) :)

They quoted me a Reese 15k Pro manual slide installed with brakes.  But I have a brake already.  I'm not very good at backing, so I think I would be more comfortable having the extra flexibility of a slider if I get in a tight spot.  They have them on Ebay for 509.00 and that includes deleivery.  Thanks for the input.  I'm sure I'll be on here a lot the first few month asking dumb questions.  But you got to start some where.

The Fifth Airborne sidewinder is an alternative to a slider, I have a shortbed ext cab w/o a slider and can easily go past 90 degrees with plenty of clearance on a 102" widebody toy hauler. There are no levers or mechanisms to deal with, just put in reverse and back up.

The Pullright hitch will slide to the rear as necessary, no action required from the driver. I have the Pullright hitch my logic was like this: I spent a lot on the truck and a lot on the trailer, the cost of the hitch willl keep me from damaging the investment.

$509, great price, and all you have to do is install it yourself.  Easy job, it only takes the dealers guys that do it all the time a couple hours.  Drill a couple holes, torque the bolts etc.  Snap! 

If you have them pull the braking out, it will drop you to about 1200 I would guess.  A prodigy controller runs about 150 retail, plus install. 

I have a Ford with a 6.5' box that I pull a Maxlite 5th wheel with, without a slider. It is a V nose though. It'll turn a bit past 90 deg when backing which is sharper than I could turn with a TT & an Expedition. A lot depends on the shape of the front of your trailer. Also you need to be cautious of where they place the hitch. If they try to move it back a bit it'll effect how your trailer pulls.

It is certainly not a necessity, but since you say you are not good at backing up, the slider or similar solution may be a wise choice.

If I were going to get a hitch that absolutely avoided problems with turns, I'd get the Pullrite auto-slider or the Fifth Airborne Sidewinder. The procedures for the manual sliders tend to discourage you from using them, which kind of defeats the whole purpose of having one.

Lots of really good advice posted here. I have one - I use it - I couldn't be without it since I need almost 90 degrees to back into my drive. Mine is a manual Reese and is a pain, but once I got used to it, is a better value (for me) than the Pullrite or Sidewinder. I have only used it once at a campground, and probably did not need to.

When my wife and I replaced our 23 foot 5'er with a new JayFlight 30.5BH she got them to throw in a new Reese 16K hitch and slider.  We have a 2500 short bed and never used a slider with the old 5'er.  I thought it was dumb to get the slidetr but since they throw it in I was ok with it. 

I started to use the the slider when I back up the 30.5 and found that it makes a big difference.  i don't have to worry about breaking out the back window like my neighbor did last summer. 

I would recommend getting the slider on your short bed.  It is just one less thing to worry about especially if you are new to pulling a 5'er.

ryan

1999 Chevy 2500 4x4
2006 JAyFlight 30.5 BH
1996 LOWE 31.5 Pontoon Boat

I've got one on order now.  If anyone is in the Tulsa area, I have a reese 16k pro for sale that came with my 5th wheel.  No rails though.  I looked at buying the rails and slider seperate, but it was acutally cheaper to just buy the whole package off ebay than buying each peice seprate from a local dealer.

Back
Top Bottom