Slides are tempting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhounds

I have pretty well narrowed my TT search as far as length, floor plans and some brand names. I plan on leaving at least for 6 months to miss the Midwestern winter next year but also may leave as soon as June 2014. I will see during that time if I decide to go full-time, which is my goal. I'm traveling with 2 basset hounds and 1 bloodhound. I know, too many dogs but that is another story not covered here. It is what it is, as they say. I've been looking at all kinds of RVs and TT the past couple of years as I worked my way to retirement. I bought a 26' C with no slides last fall only to sell that same RV 7 months later without every hitting the road. It sat winterized for the snow and ice this winter. Found it not to have enough room nor enough storage.

I moved to a truck as a tow vehicle, would like to keep the trailer to 24' based on the type of camping I want to do. I want to boondock mostly, some NP, would like to stay off the grid as much as possible and hopefully one step in front of the bad weather. Western states mostly.

I am finding with just one slide, there is so much more room and room that I would like to have with the hounds. These are not energetic hounds once inside. They sleep most of the time inside. I plan to spend as much time outside and realize when bad weather hits, I will be hibernating with these three hounds for days, depending how long the storms last.

Can anyone tell me why a slide would not be a good idea in a trailer that might travel down some dirt/gravel roads, some forest roads nor more than three digits and on occasion two track roads.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Bhounds said:
Can anyone tell me why a slide would not be a good idea in a trailer that might travel down some dirt/gravel roads, some forest roads nor more than three digits and on occasion two track roads.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Rough roads are going to bang up any  trailer and require more maintenance.  That said, get the slide.  The extra room is more than worth any extra maintenance you have to do to keep it working. 

Back roads and RV's just don't match.  What if you get it stuck 5 miles down a dirt road?  Do you have enough cash to pay a tow truck to get that far off road to pull you out?  Likely not.  Buy a good trailer, park it in a camp ground and go exploring  off road using your TV.  Believe me getting 2 or three tons stuck in the mud is not going to be a fun experience.

In Idaho its a common place to haul travel trailers up dirt roads for hunting season. I suggest a good heavy duty square tube frame and take your time hauling on back roads. I've got a slide on mine I'm not scared of dirt roads at all. Just go slowly.

We've taken all of our travel trailers into the Sacramento Mountains on some....let's call them "marginal"....roads and lived to tell about it.  And got in some great boondocking too!  Take your time, get out and clear obstacles if you have to, be mindful of dips and berms that could hi center the trailer or drag the tail, and all should be well.

Best thing to do is go out and scout the place you want to take the trailer ahead of time and analyze what you're up against before you wind up getting it stuck somewhere.  That's the one real downside to owning a large trailer....there are places where it simply won't go....and the guys with the 18-21' trailers can.

Our new TT has a slide, this is our first traditional TT and our first slide and we also have a large Akita who always travels with us.  I say get the slide, the extra room it offers is so worth it.

Slides are really nice for long term or full time camping.  Make sure trailer is level before opening.  The downsides are the extra weight, loss of storage space, and potential water leaks in heavy rains.  You would have to weigh those issues against the comfort and extra space.  We full timed for 10 years and would not do it without slides.

After 4 RV's without a slide I decided I would never own another w/o one. Two people (or hounds) should be able to pass each other without touching. I want to move around in a room - not live in an aisle.

A relative and I bought our first motor homes about the same time.  Very similar units, but she bought hers without a slide and I bought mine with one.  She now has "slide envy" and really, really regrets not getting one.  The difference in living space is HUGE -- pun intended.  I would never have one without.

The older I get, the harder it is to step over our German Shepherd.  With the slide, I can walk around her.  Yes, it is extra weight, but if you have the right TV, it's really worth it.

"Living in an aisle" is an apt description for an RV without a slide.  Get one - you'll be much happier.  Also, newer slides don't have nearly as many problems as the early ones.  And even with the early problems most of those people said they would never go back to having an RV without slides.  The problems we all debated when they were first introduced were feathers in the wind.

ArdraF

With a German Shepherd or other large dogs, slides are mandatory if you want to get to the other end of the trailer in the dark.  This is from experience.  Would not even consider getting a unit with out a slide or two  :-\
Edit: Removed white space.

We've got one with a slide and one without a slide. We are going to be selling the one without the slide.
You will appreciate the slide, especially in a 24.

I've got no problems traveling dirt roads. But highly advise against traveling dirt roads after rain storm it does tend to make a muddy mess as I just found out.  :eek: But once again there is nothing wrong with traveling on dirt roads with even large RV's as long as you take your time.

Attachments

• DSCF6226-2.JPG
    DSCF6226-2.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 20
Thank you for all the comments. It sounds like slides win. I have noticed in looking at trailers, just one slide even in a small trailer makes a huge difference.

bhounds said:
Thank you for all the comments. It sounds like slides win. I have noticed in looking at trailers, just one slide even in a small trailer makes a huge difference.

You won't regret having slides. In our current motor home (Winnebago Aspect 30J) we have 3 slides, which makes it very roomy. In my previous 2004 Lance Camper 1120 (on a F550), sold in 2013 had a slide with nary an issue, on my 2010 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold in 2013) had a full wall slide with nary an issue. 

After living in a pop up with two cattle dogs and always moving dogs around, we decided that we needed a tt, upgraded to a 30' with a 12' slide.....now at last, we will have lots of room to move around....get the slide.

donn said:
Back roads and RV's just don't match.  What if you get it stuck 5 miles down a dirt road?  Do you have enough cash to pay a tow truck to get that far off road to pull you out?  Likely not.  Buy a good trailer, park it in a camp ground and go exploring  off road using your TV.  Believe me getting 2 or three tons stuck in the mud is not going to be a fun experience.
Can't help but laugh when I read this. 95% of my camping is quite a ways off the beaten path. Don't remember the last time I was camped within 5 miles of a paved road, unless I was forced to stay in a camp ground. As long as there is clearance from most of the tree branches, and things don't drag, you can go a lot of places. Having a slide really doesn't make any difference as to where you can go. Go slow, use your mirrors and/or a spotter in tight places, pay attention and have fun getting away from it all.

Do check your insurance coverage for the types of road you travel. Most don't cover other than main roads vs. what is being described here. Getting stuck in the mud or whatever is usually only covered by 100 or so feet from a main road. Some find this out the hard way by driving down beaches in SCal.

Not many beaches in the high country of the Rocky Mountains here in Colorado.  ;D  I don't pull my RV into places that I think I might get stuck in, I just don't stick to the main roads or camp grounds. National forest access roads work just fine for me. Not sure what insurance has to do with getting stuck/un-stuck?

Back
Top Bottom