Small Scooter Hauler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fleetwood1790

We just started RVing and would like to know if anyone has any type of scooter carrier that goes on the hitch? I was looking at the Versahauler carrier, does anyone have any experience with these? Thanks

Can't help with the hitch-mounted carrier, but hopefully some here will. We put our scooters in the back of our Suburban that we haul behind the motorhome.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I don't use a hauler on the back of the Suburban, the scooters are in the back of the Burb i.e. inside it. Here's a couple of photos of my prototype that should help clarify things:

Photo 1

Photo 2

This discussion reminds me I need to make a more permanent arrangement before out next trip, although the proto works.

Joel, they're xcooters. Found them (new) at a garage sale a couple of years ago. Have had lots of admirers.

I have a "Hitch-Haul".  Cost about 75 bucks.  I added a light kit for another twenty.  I used it to carry a healy transmission from MA to Albuquerque, and an electric kids truck to California.  It has a platform about 5 feet wide and 2 feet deep.  It's a bit low, have to watch curbings.

On the way back, empty, at a truck stop a fellow RV'er came up and told me "looks like you lost your motorcycle".

Art

Speaking of Scooters: A few years ago, while boating on my 35' Chien Hwa trawler, I owned a pair of DiBlasi (Italian made) collapsible bikes. Quite small, fit into a canvas bag, about 70 lbs.

Had them street licensed in WA State. Sold them on an on-line auction to a US soldier stationed in Turkey. He was about to return home and I shipped them there.

Original price (new) at a boat show was 1200.00 ea.

Take a look at the website  here

and  here[/url

]

30mph @ 100mpg.  Lot of fun but not very safe.

carson Fl

I bought a hitch mount basket about 5ft. by 2ft. suppose to hold up to 500 pounds I got it for a three wheel bicycle that my wife has. its made by Valley Industries professional towing products they have a web site you can check it out there. I think it was about 150 or 160 dollars might work great for what you want.  :)

Tom said:
Joel, they're xcooters. Found them (new) at a garage sale a couple of years ago. Have had lots of admirers.

Are those electric or gas powered?  I see kids buzzing around on those little electric scooters nowadays, and thought one of those would be handy for short trips around & out of the campground.

They're electric (battery) powered. Those gas ones are way too noisy.

Thanks for the replies.  I was looking for something a little heavier, maybe like one of those versahaul carriers?  I need something that can hold up to 500 pounds and still tow a car behind.  I was looking at the versahaul carriers and they look pretty good.  Does anybody have any experience with this brand of carriers.

Thanks

I carried a transmission and a kid truck from MA to AZ.  Total weight about 175 lbs riding on the hitch.  I could tell the difference in the handling.
Art

Hi,
I have a 1995 American Eagle Coach.
This spring we added a heavy duty Versahaul hitch mounted carrier.
We travel with a 2004 Suzuki Burgman 400 touring scooter on it.
It works just fine. It has a ramp that you roll the scooter up on and then stow. It also has a stablizer braket to keep the wobble to a minimum.
The 2 trickiest parts are:
1. Walking the scooter up the ramp using the scooter power.
2. Releasing the ratchet straps gently so it doesn't spring up on the shocks.

We resently added a cycle cover from wally world to help keep it clean. Always needed a bath after a long trip behind the coach.

John

Thanks for the reply.  Does anyone else have any experience with the Versahaul carriers?  I was looking on the versahaul.com website and wondering what carrier you are hauling the Burgman on?  Is it the sport?  Thanks

Here's another one.  I think norm was carring a honda reflex on it.  Steve

http://www.overbiltlifts.com/

Here is his story about the lift.  Steve

http://www.seeya-downtheroad.com/InformationPage/OverbiltLifts.html

I have the versahauler and carry a 125 yamaha scooter on it that weights a little over 200 lbs.  I then have a car dolly that I attach to it.  Works pretty good, and doesnt seem to affect handling.  The hitch is long so you have to take that into account going over any bumps, especially if you have a long overhang.  Mine is mounted on a 2007 four winds 29r.  The only problem that I have is that the loading ramp is about a foot too short and so I have to raise it a couple of inches to get the motor scooter up on it without bottoming out.  They told me I could get a longer ramp from them if I wanted it.  As I recall, I bought it on ebay for about $100.00 bucks.  Delivery was quick and when you called them on the phone they answered any questions right then.  I would recommend them to anyone.

clydedoerr said:
As I recall, I bought it on ebay for about $100.00 bucks.

How long ago was that?  I'd be interested in one of those if we go the scooter route someday.  The only one I see on eBay is this one priced at $150 + $55 shipping (twice what you paid).  Is there a better source or brand to consider?

Edit: a little more searching turned up this other scooter hauler that is indeed priced at $100 Buy It Now.  $43 shipping to my door.  The weight limit is a little less (325 lbs. instead of 500 lbs. for the one linked above) but that shouldn't be a problem for most scooters if your 125cc weighs 200 lbs.

I found my Hitch Haul #hp2 at a local Dick's Sporting Goods store for $79.95 two years ago.  Avoiding shipping.
Art

Back
Top Bottom