Small travel trailer or a teardrop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

campinman76

Hey all,
Very soon my wife and I will be entering the RV world, but decisions, decisions.........we want something small and economical but we have seen a few different things we like and can't decide between them  :-\  . We have looked at the Little Guy teardrops, the T@B that was brought back by Little Guy, the R Pod, and KZ's Sportsman Classic. Some of those are completely different from each other but we are trying to stay with that "small and economical" concept. Any advantages or disadvantages that maybe I am missing? We will be towing with a Subaru Forester. Please give thoughts or opinions!

Hi campinman

The true teardrop trailers from T@B and little guy are best understood as being a portable tent incorporating a bed, storage, and a cooking area.  As such they offer a camping experience similar to being in a tent but without as much hassle setting up camp and breaking camp.  They would be ideal for an overnight or perhaps a two-night stay for two people who plan to spend nearly all their waking time outdoors.

The R-pod is teardrop shaped but much larger trailer with a full compliment of systems (fridge, range, sink, shower, toilet, furnace, air conditioning).  I would urge you to also consider the more established small lightweight trailers from Scamp and Casita.

The sportsmen classic is a conventional TT like many others.

Just saw your post and thought I'd chime in here. 

We have an '06 Forrester also.  Take a close look atthe weight of any of the teardrops or hard sides. 

We had a little "pop-up" that we pulled behind both the Subary and our motorcycle.  It is called a BF Specalties Bunkhouse SE.  It is a "fold out" tent that stays up on the platform.  Starts out about 4x8 and folds out to 8x12.  With a king size bed and a nice sized dressing room.  Ihad a little air conditioner to keep us cool in the summer and used a small ceramic electric heater in winter.  The lack of a potty was a small drawback. 

Cost was quite reasonable and the Subaru never even knew it was back there. 

We pulled a 17' Casita with a Ford Sport Trac for a couple of years and it handled the little fiberglass egg wonderfully.  It had a tiny shower/head, kitchen, and bed.  When I listed it for sale on the Casita website I sold it within a day and had a guy drive literally half way across the country to get it.

If you can find one, it would be well worth a look.

I tow a 17' Escape 17B with a RAV4 (V6 & Tow package).  Both it and the Casita are a little heavy for your Forester, but there are smaller, lighter fiberglass trailers from both Escape & Casita (as well as others) worth taking a look at.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom