Smart Phone Tethering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's hard to use much more than a few GB/month on a Smartphone unless you do tether, and doing that without buying a limited tethering plan is technically (and legally) in violation of the terms of service.  So someone sucking 10+GB/month on their unlimited Smartphone data plan by tethering it can't call foul.  I think they're being generous in allowing those users continued access, even if it's at a reduced speed.  VZW not longer offers an unlimited data plan on a Smartphone.  Only those that bought such a plan before July 7 have unlimited data, and those terms have not changed.  It was AT&T that announced the throttling beginning Oct. 1.

It's still "unlimited" access, but the definition of unlimited in this case means you have access, not how fast it runs or how many bits you can suck down :)

Both should work on any Android phone, 3G or 4G, as far as I know.  Both work well, but I've had better success with EasyTether.  There is no real reason to choose one over the other.  Both have free versions that you can try to see which you prefer.

EasyTether is less expensive than PDAnet.

I am late coming into this thread.  I'm also a self-admitted moron when it comes to certain "techy type" things, but I'm always searching and willing to learn. 

I have an AT&T aircard (unlimited service), and also unlimited internet on my Iphone. 

I want to be able to use my Ipad at times for internet access, instead of my Iphone.  However, there are no good options for doing so.  I can buy a separate limited plan for the Ipad (not a good option, I'm already paying around $100 a month for my internet access options).  Or, I can add tethering to my current Iphone account (which will allow me to use both devices, but will take away my unlimited account - NOT acceptable). 

They've really got it figured out.  I don't mind paying for a service that I need and enjoy, but this is approaching "bend over and take it". 

Does Easy Tether offer the option to HIDE the connection as PdaNet does?  Yes PdaNet works on 4G.

When you log into PdaNet it says DNA not verified and it says using Googles DNA.  I don't know but this must be hiding it.

JerryF

Here in Canada I get the impression that are different rules for tethering.
I currently have a 6gig plan that I can both tether and use my iphone as a wifi hot spot for $30.
It is my only source of the net at home or on the road...I think it is GREAT value.

Back
Top Bottom