Snowbird questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedandSilver

For those of you that leave the snowy North to go South or west - AKA warm weather:

As much as I would like to leave for warmer weather in Nov or early Dec before the snow starts to fly
that may not always be possible.

Has anyone ever gotten stuck in the snow and had to have help getting out?
Has anyone ever slid off the road because of snowy or slippery roads?

I know there are times (especially out west) (I80?) where they close the roads or at least make you have chains on
before they will let you continue when bad weather sets in etc.
I have never heard of a MH using chains on the tires and doubt that it would be worth the damage they could do
even if you could find them or get ones that fit.

Has anyone ever had to turn around or at least wait (a day or more) before you could carry on?

And one more:

Do you drive until your out of Snowvilles and the temps at night are above freezing OR just find a Walmart or Rest Stop?

I'm not sure if I will be able to go anywhere before all the snow melts but would like to know just in case.

A few different years we have left Iowa in pretty cold weather.  We had the motorhome winterized so no worries of anything freezing.  Fortunately, we had clear roads, but if the roads had been slick or deep snow, we would have stopped somewhere safe, and waited out the weather.  We always made sure we had plenty of gas in the tank, and water in five gallon jugs to last a few days even if we were to be stranded where water was not available.

I would never drive in snow so deep, or roads so icy where I needed chains.

On the way home one year, I pulled off the road at Clines Corners in New Mexico when it started snowing more than I felt comfortable driving in.  I made sure our onboard furnace was on and set at a reasonable temperature, and watched a movie until I went to sleep. I waited till about 11:00 AM the next morning before leaving.  By that time the sun was shining, and the roads were cleared.

You have your house with you, no sense taking any unnecessary chances.

RedandSilver said:
For those of you that leave the snowy North to go South or west - AKA warm weather:

As much as I would like to leave for warmer weather in Nov or early Dec before the snow starts to fly
that may not always be possible.

Has anyone ever gotten stuck in the snow and had to have help getting out?
Has anyone ever slid off the road because of snowy or slippery roads?

Never happened to me. We'll be leaving the Minneapolis area next month heading south.
I wouldn't drive in icy conditions or a blizzard. The advantage of a motorhome is most everyone else is passing you. Stay in the right lane of the interstate and keep a good distance from anything in front of you. Lane changing is the cause of a large amount of accidents and slide outs.

I know there are times (especially out west) (I80?) where they close the roads or at least make you have chains on
before they will let you continue when bad weather sets in etc.
I have never heard of a MH using chains on the tires and doubt that it would be worth the damage they could do
even if you could find them or get ones that fit. 

Some states require carrying chains. Personally I would be very careful monitoring the weather before attempting a mountain pass in the winter with my MH.

Has anyone ever had to turn around or at least wait (a day or more) before you could carry on?

Not yet.... I'm sure my time will come. I always check the extended forecast prior to leaving. It would have to an incredible change in extended horrendous conditions before I turned around. I would plan on a motel to hole up until it cleared. Not using the MH in freezing conditions.

And one more:

Do you drive until your out of Snowvilles and the temps at night are above freezing OR just find a Walmart or Rest Stop?

For our routes, our plan is always to stay in a motel the first night due to freezing temps. Temps for the second night are usually workable for the MH.

4 years ago, we watched the extended forecast and they were predicting a huge storm the day we planned on leaving NH heading to FL. We decided to leave 2 days earlier and it's a good thing we did. We had a storm with around 14" of snow. We would have been stuck in NH for another week if we had stayed. 
When we drive, we typically stop in VA on the first night. That same year, they predicted freezing rain the next morning in the area we were in. We went to bed early and got up at 3:00 AM and left. We missed the entire storm.
Moral of the story, watch closely the extended forecasts and plan accordingly.

This is CO:

Traction Law (Code 15)
During an active Traction Law, also known as a Code 15, motorists will need to have either snow tires, tires with the
mud/snow (M+S) designation, or a four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicle ? all tires must have a minimum one-eighth inch tread. You can also install chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock) to be in compliance with the law if your tires aren't adequate.

Passenger Vehicle Chain Law (Code 16)
During severe winter storms, CDOT will implement a Passenger Vehicle Chain Law, also known as a Code 16 ? this is the final safety measure before the highway is closed. During a Passenger Vehicle Chain Law, every vehicle on the roadway is required to have chains or an alternative traction device (like AutoSock).

Fines
Motorists driving with inadequate equipment during a Passenger Vehicle Traction or Chain Law could be fined more than $130.

If a motorist blocks the roadway because they have inadequate equipment during a Passenger Vehicle Traction or Chain Law, they could be fined more than $650.

To download a Passenger Vehicle Traction and Chain Law fact sheet, click here.

Click here to view a printable version of the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding the Passenger Vehicle Traction and Chain Law.

I never worried about this before when I had a 5er being pulled by my 4X4, but now I think I may have to at least get autosocks.

Yes I've had to wait out snowstorms sometimes more than one day. That's a real oddity if you plan well and it is only normally when you're crossing on the northern route because there's no other choice in getting to say Chicago in January.

It depends on where you're at, for example I live in the Portland Oregon area and even with all the snowy wet weather this week all I would have to do is get to the coast and follow the coast down into California. Similarly in California I could follow the coast all the way to Los Angeles and San Diego. From there to Florida the odds of whether putting you behind is really small.

The only problem with this coastal route is that it's a scenic route, it takes longer to drive. There are of course people that actually make that drive as their vacation so I don't know if that's really a penalty.

We've had more than one occasion where we had to wait out the snow, here in the mountain west. One year, coming home to Denver from Quartzsite, we had to stop at Elephant Butte (mid-New Mexico on I-25) for snow. We sat out two nights with the snow and strong winds and below zero temps. We've had a few other occasions to wait an extra day or two for snow to get out of the way, or at least off the roads.

In winter we always allow a handful of extra days to get home, and try to do the same going somewhere. And often there are alternate routes that might allow travel, even if it is longer.

With a car. Yes. I've had to call AAA once and hike back to the house for a "Tow" vehicle once,, I've also dug and towed out others, and pushed them out many times both by hand and by car....

With the motor home.. Only once, but that was sand, not snow. Called coach net, they called the local contractor with teh BIG and I mean BIG tow trucks, they sent one of the smaller trucks (too small) I re-worte the operator's manual for the truck and we got 'er done  (I studied physics so knew now to multiply the strength of the truck, also add to the "Weight" of the truck, things the driver did not know... He now is a better tow truck driver for having assisted me.. Bad when a DISPATCHER knows more than the Operator....)

We have a 4WD truck to pull our trailer, and I would still try to pull over to wait out a storm. That doesn't mean we wait for 100% dry roads though since that could mean waiting for days! We do have chains for both the truck and one axel of the trailer, mostly because some states require it. Never had to put them on, but it feels good to know they are there. Then again, I don't have to use limited vacation time to travel, and I don't travel to ski resorts in the winter for camping (though I know some that do).

Have seen ads for plastic tire chains out now. They might make them to fit motorhome tires. They do look interesting

I looked up autosocks and there are videos of them being used on 18 wheelers so I assume they make them
for our 22.5" wheels too.

This is a weird Winter (here) somewhat as we usually get a little bit of a January thaw late in the month but this year
we have the thaw now and 90% of my yard is snow free right now.
However it rained last night and then froze and there were reports of many many slideoffs and roads closed this morning.

So if you were driving and the conditions kept getting worse and worse and there were no Rest Areas around would you
take the next exit and then cross the road and park on the entrance ramp? That has to be safer then the exit ramp and I have
seen truckers parked there before.

None of this might happen be it's better to know and not need it then the other way around.  IMO.

If I wait until December or January to leave WI, I may never be able to leave. Lol.
Only through rain, anything else...stop.

Last week I left WV for Quartzsite AZ. I knew I needed to take a southerly route so decided straight down 81 to 75 to 20 to 10. But the first night out I started hearing about an ice storm that was going to hit the next day. I grabbed about 3 hrs of sleep and got back on the road. By the time I hit Dallas on Friday it was pouring rain and the outside temp was 33 deg. If I had noticed any sign of ice I would have pulled into the nearest Walmart and waited it out. I remember seeing 18 wheelers sliding  off the road around DC several years ago and that was not going to be me. Just keep an eye on the weather channel or radio and have a alternate plan just in case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suzybigbus49
Back
Top Bottom