So you retired at 62... what are you doing for health insurance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Retired when I was 51 and ended up getting individual policy which is now up almost 400 percent since I retired plus the deductible has gone from $1000 to $7500 to keep it down to a more manageable figure.  Hopefully future changes will not impact you as much, but you may want to consider the possibilities.  Keep in mind that if you have a higher deductible plan, take advantage of an HSA account which is tax deductible like putting money into an IRA, and you use it to help cover medical expenses beyond premiums.  Once you reach 65, you can liquidate the account. 

Jeff in Ferndale Wa said:
You are not saying that you got Medicare at 62 are you? You remained healthy until you were 65 and got Medicare?

I would like to retire at 62 (will be 60 in December) but medical insurance is holding me back.
I turned 65 in June of 2013 and had brain surgery in August of 2013, I was 65 at the time. Sorry for the confusion.

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.  My former employer has a retiree medical plan.  They are not legally obligated to continue offering the coverage and that fact causes me a bit of consternation every time I get an envelope from the plan.  More so after reading what some of you are paying.  So far since retiring at 61, I really haven't paid much of anything for my health care.  When I turned 65 and started Medicare, which meant my employers plan would not pay as much, I began paying about $100 a month.  Go figure.    Not complaining, but the paper work probably costs more. 

After Obamacare, they began using a third party administrator for claims.  I guess they couldn't figure out which end was up with the Affordable Care Act.  While I still don't pay a premium, my deductibles and co-pays have gone way up.  So from my perspective the Affordable Care Act may not be so Affordable if I have to use it.  I have Kaiser.  The DW is also covered by Kaiser.  Her cost last year $58.00 a month.  This year it's $0.  Not sure what's going on. 

Fortunately I've had good health and other than for vision and dental have probably not paid $1,000 in co-pays and deductibles over the past 12 years.  Still I have a stroke risk and cancer runs in the family.  My father at died of lung cancer at 58, one sister with colon cancer at 76, my brother of lung cancer 3 months ago at 74.  For me, the worst was 5 years ago when one of my daughters was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer at age 41.  A year later my oldest daughter was diagnosed with breast cancer.  Today the oldest seems to be cancer free.  The youngest, has been through 3 rounds of chemo and while she seems to be doing OK, I get nervous every time she calls.  All I can say is nothing takes the wind out of the sails faster than a child with a serious illness.     

garyb1st said:
Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.  My former employer has a retiree medical plan.  They are not legally obligated to continue offering the coverage and that fact causes me a bit of consternation every time I get an envelope from the plan.  More so after reading what some of you are paying.   

Wow!! Nice deal for you!  I just hope that you posting this didn't jinx your great luck!

The truth is, I got a pretty bad cancer during my last job, then got laid off while fighting it, but my employer (I think graciously) agreed to pay his half of my COBRA (so far).  But I'm expecting that to come to a screeching halt any time now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sue2La
Back
Top Bottom