Solar help/ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bazman82

I'm looking for a decent solar set up for my travel trailer batteries. I need something that I can leave hooked up 24/7 to the batteries but still have the panels be portable. I also need about 200ft of cable as the location of my trailer is in the woods and the closest open space is roughly 200ft away. I'm really only looking to keep the battery with a full charge while its out there since I'd rather not have to run the generator every weekend. Any ideas? I'm really new to solar and currently have a suitcase 60watt solar panel for when I actually go somewhere but I am willing to upgrade to something better.

The issue isn't the grade of your panels but the distance between the panel and the trailer. 200' is a long way to carry any appreciable amount of power, the good news is that the power you'd need just to maintain a battery is pretty small.

Is there any 'daylight' at the trailer at all? Given the limited power requirement here even a shaded panel might be able to provide enough. Even if you had to buy bigger panels to work in a shaded location it might be simpler and maybe even more cost effective to do that than running 200' of outdoor rated cable.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

The entire area around camper is completely covered. There may be a few spots with sunshine but they would be limited to about 20 or 30 mins at most before the sun moves and its shade again. Just outside the woods is hayfields so its wide open.

Since you have the panel already it would be a simple exercise to put it in a least worst location in the vicinity of the trailer and let it run for a while. I'd give it a couple of weeks to a month. It will either have enough output or not, and based on the degree of success or failure you can decide what an appropriate solution would be from there.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I should re-word my panel description. It is a suitcase style but not all weather. I wouldn't be able to leave it out there in the rain. I'll be looking for something that I can leave out in the rain etc.

Depends on how many Ah of battery you have but self discharge amounts to a handful of Ah per day. So even 30 minutes of output of a 60 watt panel in winter time might be enough right there, any additional output during shade or clouds would be extra margin.

Sounds like you'd pick whatever panel solution you consider "portable" and set it up. Keeping someone from walking off with them is a separate problem, but one you'd have no matter where you'd set it up. The question is how close you are to generating enough power at the trailer location. Only way to determine that is empirically, which means you'll have to set something up and try it. I find it curious that a "portable" solar panel which can only function outdoors isn't rated for rain, but that's a separate discussion.

Running 200' of wire has issues. Cable that can survive outdoors isn't cheap, and critters seem to find cables tasty. You could tolerate a bit of loss given the power requirement but I would rather put my money into a panel than something that lays on the ground. Hard to say what option you might find more palatable, but my money would be to buy a panel big enough to work in the shade than run 200' of wire to a panel of any size sitting in the sun.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I suppose I will have to research some more panels. I have found 150' of 10 gauge wire for $210 on amazon (I did see some 8 gauge wire too but I don't have that tab up anymore). That would probably reach but I will have to measure for sure. I am not so worried about someone walking off with it as it is on my property at my home with nothing else around it. If I were to spend the 210 on the wire and another possible 300 on different panels, then I should be able to find some high end panels for under $500 that would be a better solution?

I was also thinking about the critters chewing it up as well. I would most likely get some pvc piping and just string it together inside that with caps on the end. Regardless of which way I hook it up, wire will be exposed to the outside.

camp 2.jpg
camp 3.jpgcamp 1.jpg
These are a few photos of last summer with the camper in its spot. The last photo here was taken awhile ago while prepping the area. What looks like a path on the left side of the last pic, that is where the camper is. This is to give an idea of what it looks like. That sun coming in on the first 2 pictures, that's the sun setting for the evening.

The very first thing is just how much power do you use in the trailer when you are there?????

If it is just lights, water pump, charging laptops, phones and a gas elect fridge on gas, then you don't use much power. A single 100 watt solar panel, 200' of 10 gauge wire (2 wires) and a pair of $90 golf cart batteries batteries will work just fine. If you have to run the gas furnace in the trailer a lot for 2 nights that may drain your batteries down some.

BTW swap out the incandescent light bulbs for LED and you will save a LOT of power.

For much more info about RV power, batteries & solar go here:
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
The 12volt Side of Life Part 2

Not much power really. Everything you said except we wouldn't be using the fridge. We would just bring a cooler with us for the night and usually only stay 1 night a week since it is, technically, in our "backyard". Last summer was our first summer with a camper and we only used the furnace twice out of the dozen times or so we stayed out there. I have 2 marine batteries installed on the trailer already.

"Keep the battery with a full charge" and restoring a charge after using the trailer are two different things. You still might be able to get there from here with a shaded panel of appropriate size but it depends a lot on how many Ah get used during any particular outing, the time inbetween uses and the net panel output. Still merits some empirical testing but now the scope of the mission has expanded a bit.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

For more specifics on usage. It wouldnt be used during the weekdays and would only be used Friday night and/or Saturday night. Usage would involve: the water pump. I have led lights in the unit but I also have led touch lights spread throughout that we prefer to use. We don't use the radio, fridge, furnace(if we can help it) and I have a portable battery generator for my cpap.

I really hate to run the generator so that is why I am looking into a better solar option. I can fully charge the batteries with the generator and be good for about 2 or 3 weeks before I would have to run it again but then I would be running the batteries really low each time.

I am also trying to plan ahead and would like the panels to work well when we actually take the trailer somewhere and really use all the features.

For what you want to do right now something like these 2 items would work fine and about $100 total, plus wire etc.
https://www.amazon.com/Richsolar-Po...1616602779&sprefix=100+watt+so,aps,240&sr=8-4

Would you leave the solar panel out all week, or are you expecting to deploy them only while you are there? A 60 watt panel all-day, every day, is more usable charging than a 200W panel for a few hours. Just putting out a solar panel once in a while is not very effective.

Based on 2 marine batteries (what size) lasting at least two weeks (@ 1 night/week), I'm guessing you consume 35-40 amp-hours (AH) per visit and thus need to recharge that much each week. At peak output, a 60W panel yields 3.5A, so it takes 10-12 hours of full sun to do your charging. A 100W panel is about 5.5A, so maybe 7-8 hours.

The 10 gauge wire is adequate for that size panel, even at 150 ft distance.

Marine batteries are a combination starting and deep cycle battery so don't have the long term capacity of a true deep cycle battery such as a golf cart battery.

The marine batteries will most likely serve your needs, even if you travel with the trailer. Especially since you already have them I would not replace them with golf cart batteries until they don't supply enough power.

200 watts of solar would probably serve you needs when traveling unless you try to use high power devices like toaster, microwave, hair dryer, etc.

I have not heard of solar panels that can't be left out in the weather. What is it about your 60 watt suitcase panel that it can't be out in the weather? Could you take the panel out of the suitcase and leave it out in the weather?

The 60 watt panel would replace the little bit of power you use on weekends if it is out all week.

Then you could put 200 watts on the roof for traveling.

Yes. I would leave the panels out the entire time the trailer is out there,tTypically all summer unless we go somewhere. My 60watt is like a fabric/canvas backing. It is literally the size of a briefcase. I got it more for my battery generator. Maybe I'll look into a more true deep cycle battery as that sounds like it would help.

Why not just take the batteries home with you and keep them on a tender?

Because there are times we go there after work to have a fire and cook hotdogs then head back up to the house but we still like to use the restroom and sink and clean up etc for the 2 hours we hang out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom