Solar wiring help Itasca Horizon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Malibu39

Hello,

I have an 04 Itasca Horizon 40KD. I am upgrading solar and ran new wire down behind the frig, into the basement where my solar controller is. I now need to get the wires to the battery bank. My batteries are on the passenger side, behind the wheel well. The basement wall obviously stops in front of the wheel wells.  I do not see an obvious area where I should punch the wires through the wall, no idea what?s not he other side, etc. I thought I?d stop and see if anyone else has encountered this issue and if there is an ?easy? way.

Thanks!

I have a 2006 Itasca Ellipse 40KD. I am just starting to install Solar in my rig. Are you in the compartment that has your inverter/charger?  My plan is to connect to the large cables coming off of the inverter/charger that go to the batteries. They are used for charging the batteries anyway. I don't think there would be a need to run another set of wires to the batteries. My plan is to feed the wires down through the back cap of the rig feed them over the transmission cooler( i have a side mounted transmission cooler) into the electrical compartment.

John

I was thinking about that as well. But at this point the wires are in the basement in front of the wheel wells, and the inverter is behind the wheels, so I am still in the same position where I need to get it through the back basement wall somehow. I do not know who to run it though the back cap. Seems difficult?

Anywhere on the top of the back cap would work. I recently replaced the backup camera on my rig and found that there is a lot of room there. I was surprised to find that  the opening the camera comes out of is not sealed, so water could go in around the camera. If you remove the camera you can see the space in there. I will use one of these. 
https://www.amazon.com/Link-Solar-Weatherproof-Project-Campervan/dp/B00KV1PFS0/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?ie=UTF8&aaxitk=btX1aMzEJqw5Ww4q2KCplw&hsa_cr_id=6497846130801&ref_=sb_s_sparkle&th=1

John

I ran my solar wiring through the roof - between the shower and the OnePlace center. The solar controller is on the forward facing side of the OnePlace. Wiring is under the shower floor (as I recall - been a few years), behind the vanity and back to the load centers under the bed. I've run quite a bit wiring in our '05 Horizon and it's a complete PITA no matter which way you go.

I installed my solar in 2014. Mounted 4-100 watt panels at the rear. Drilled thru the roof into the rear hollow wall bathroom wall and routed with the Winn wiring into the compartment behind the rear DS axle using the Winn route/ opening.
Inside were the connections and solenoids for both battery banks and common ground. Connected the solar feed to the hot house battery connection and bridged it to the trik-l-start to keep the chassis batteries charged. Has worked great and has served to extend the service lives of both batteries as it is stored outdoors uncovered.
Couple of important considerations if drilling thru the roof - get a roof drawing from Winn so you dont go thru a wiring conduit in the roof. Fortunately, I had one from previously installing the satellite dish and used it.

bobmacc said:
I installed my solar in 2014. Mounted 4-100 watt panels at the rear. Drilled thru the roof into the rear hollow wall bathroom wall and routed with the Winn wiring into the compartment behind the rear DS axle using the Winn route/ opening.
Inside were the connections and solenoids for both battery banks and common ground. Connected the solar feed to the hot house battery connection and bridged it to the trik-l-start to keep the chassis batteries charged. Has worked great and has served to extend the service lives of both batteries as it is stored outdoors uncovered.
Couple of important considerations if drilling thru the roof - get a roof drawing from Winn so you dont go thru a wiring conduit in the roof. Fortunately, I had one from previously installing the satellite dish and used it.
That is a really important consideration before mounting stuff to the roof.  In the newer travel trailer models, which may apply to the motor homes, central ductwork now exists from the older models too.  I have seen videos of people installing wiring for their solar panels and add on dish domes using a more safe route and location by running their wiring down the frig venting hood on the roof, which seems to work well.  There is really nothing wrong with running coax on the surface of the roof if you are restricted to mounting large add ons to the roof in the general location of any vents. You can bed your wiring along the way in dabs of caulking designed to be exposed to the sun like the Roofing and Flashing sealants sold at the big box stores.

On my 2006 FD, I ran wires under bedroom dresser slide. There was a kick plate under the dresser, once removed very easy to access battery bay.

Back
Top Bottom