Solar with no battery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jlhog

I took the battery out of the camper for the winter. I have that on a trickle charger. I just thought about our solar panel on the roof. Will that still be putting voltage to the battery connections that are not attached to a battery? Is there something I should do different?

No worries. The panel will still produce voltage, but it's not a problem as you have an open circuit. In fact, it wouldn't be a problem even if you shorted the circuit, PV panels/controllers don't care.

No worries. The panel will still produce voltage, but it's not a problem as you have an open circuit. In fact, it wouldn't be a problem even if you shorted the circuit, PV panels/controllers don't care.
So, the panels aren't still sending power through their output wiring and there is no need to insulate the connectors to keep them from touching anything...like the user?

Voltage is present but no power is produced in an open circuit or a direct short. With 12vdc, even in a current carrying circuit you can safely touch the conductor. The human body is too high a resistive path to attract any current flow.

yeah, my panels in the back yard are wired in series, and put out 78 volts d.c. , more then enough to hurt someone or short and start a fire. I would never leave wires exposed. I guess a lot would depend on how the panels are wired and the amps the charge controller would put out.

I took the battery out of the camper for the winter. I have that on a trickle charger. I just thought about our solar panel on the roof. Will that still be putting voltage to the battery connections that are not attached to a battery? Is there something I should do different?
Since it is storage make sure you insulate the positive wires you disconnected from the battery.
I'd shove them in two zip loc style or vacuum seal type food storage bags and rubber band the bags around the wires anove the connectors. Double bag or double safety.

Most home solar systems are currently operating without battery storage. If you're fine with drawing from the grid and not particularly worried about power outages, you might not need a battery.
I have never understood why someone would put in a solar system without a battery bank. The whole point of having solar is so you can power your home during a power outage, which you cannot do without battery backup. That is what makes it pay for itself - the comfort of knowing you won't run out of power - because it certainly will never pay for itself in electricity savings.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom