sooo...LED Tv over LCD Tv ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiGiacomo

according to my search this subject hasn't come out for a while..........

consensus is, according to my search on this forum, is that led is a better picture and uses about half the power than LCD.........but the  led is much higher priced...............

i looked a little this morning at a few and was not seeing a lot of difference in prices, [it could have been just a good sale though??]........i did notice that the power consumption was 50 watts on an LCD [15" to 19"] and 26 or 27 watts on a comparable sized led......

i have a little more time before i tear into my old bounder and make the change............and it looks like, if i had to buy now, i would go with an LED..........

anyone have any negs about these led TVs...........??.........are they holding up to the rock, roll, and vibration.........

LED refers to the backlighting used for the display, they're still LCD TVs.  I would expect the LEDs to hold up as well or better than the typical fluorescent lamps otherwise used.

People need to know there is different terminology used by different companies.  Even though there are LED tvs, a lot of companies that advertise LED tvs, are actually selling LCD tvs, that are back lit with LEDs, instead of fluorescent lights.

Dang, Ned, you are quick!

Paul

this technology has finally started moving way too fast for me, i used to try to keep up with it, I'm about to give  up ???.........and the only thing i will do now is try to understand [basics] about some of it............i think i now understand the difference between the two, thanks, Ned and Paul  :D

it looks like led is top dog right now...........

techno is worse than the Colorado weather ;D

If power consumption and/or heat is an important consideration, the the LED type TV is the better choice.  If not, then either type will be fine as long as it has the features you want and is the right size and price.

well Ned, power consumption is a consideration that i think we all should make, and i try to look at that with everything i buy [except when i bought that old 454 gas hog ;D] but we don't have much choice there yet.....it sounds like the new MH"S don't do much better than 8 or 9

i bought a new Monte Carlo in 96 and have 140,000 miles on it..........it has gotten 37 mph through the desert cruising at about 65......I'm waiting for some kind of improvement in gas mph before i buy another car.......and so far not much has happened in that area.. :(......

i hear that they are coming out with plug and play solar panels........so i hope this will also be a breakthrough in technology that the middle class can afford.........

things sure have changed, 40 years ago, i tried not to buy anything that wasn't Union Made  ;)  ...........now i just try for U.S. made......and that is an impossibility at this point........

We just changed our front TV from a Sharp Aquos LCD to a Samsung LED and love it!  The picture is gorgeous.  And, much to our surprise, we really can see the difference between the two pictures.  We thought the Aquos had a great picture and didn't think there would be that much difference, but there is.  When the time comes to trade, I'd recommend the LED.  By the way, we were limited to the Samsung because of the size of our cabinet.  The other brands with the same size screeen were too large to fit, so size of the unit is a consideration in a motorhome.

ArdraF

Even within the LED LCD TVs there are differences.  Some are edge lit much the same way the older cold cathode lamps worked (although more efficient), others use a matrix of LEDs that allow individual back lit areas of the screen to be turned off.  That produces better blacks, increasing contrast.  Definitely take a look at the model you want prior to purchasing - they are different!

That's good to know Ardra, i don't want a large screen, just big enough to be able read the lettering [the stock market numbers ::)]......i plan on making it a winter project so i have a while to think about it...........and i sure hope they don't come up with some other innovation for TV......I'm not even real sure that i want to mess with a dish......we can watch movies and turn the good old radio on for the news.........hmmmmm...i bet that won't fly....i have a boss....she likes to watch "days of our lives"...........I hear Sammie shot EJ today!!!

Jon i can't really tell a lot of difference in picture quality, so if look at the wattage and go the lowest, could that be  a good way to compare.....??

Hey, if you can't see the difference, I wouldn't pay for the matrix type - they are quite a bit more expensive that even the edge lit versions! Most LED lit LCD TVs draw less power than cold cathode lamp type.

Just look at them and compare. If you can't see the difference, buy the less expensive model.

A top end "standard" LCD is every bit as bright and crisp as any LED-backlit model.  You are better off putting  extra dollars into a quality tv with a  top-end graphics engine than in any particular bit of technology.  Samsung, Sony and Panasonic make basic consumer grade tvs for the mass market, and 2-3 better grades for the more discerning buyers. At higher prices, of course. But if you look at them and compare, your eye may see the difference. If so, pay the extra. If not, buy the cheaper one.

I have had a 17" backlit LED laptop for two months and it has the best and brightest picture of any laptop I have ever owned. I do a lot of photo editing so that is critical. It lasts as long on a battery charge as my 15 inch did and both have 6 cell batteries.

An conventionally back lit LCD also produces a whole lot of heat. While chasing down heat sources with an infrared thermometer, I found the temp of the TV was 94 degrees! If you extend that to the area of a 37 inch TV, it's pumping quite a bit of heat into the coach. I don't know if it's the screen or the backlight that is producing the heat, but if an LED backlit TV uses less energy for the same amount of light, it's got to be producing less heat. Either that or it produces heat much more efficiently. ::)

I guess i should have said that i can tell the differences in quality........but they are all pretty good [good enough for me anyway]......i don't have to use one for photos and graphics........when ya take one out of the store and set it up by itself, you don't have anything to compare it too...........sooooo ya get a pretty dang good picture  ;D........old John wayne VHS movies will probably look better than I've ever seen them!!

my son bought a small led for his lap top and it is performing very well and he isn't very careful with it either..........i see it thrown it the back seat of his car at times...........so i would think that with a little care they should do well in these RVs......

Or perhaps worse, since you'll be able to see all the defects that were hidden before...

you made me think...........when they made those movies........we were perfectly happy seeing them without worrying about how many pixels they had ;)..........i remember when we watched the first episode of bonanza at an aunts house........the whole family gathered for that occasion ....oh well....i better get back to this century......

My husband just finished putting new TV's in our Sightseer.  We got a 27 inch Vizio for the front, its one of those thin ones that looks about like a picture frame.  Says its a LCD, LED HDTV.  We got it at Sam's and it was only $298.  Picture looks really good. We have no idea how it will hold up yet, but now we are rid of one item that converter box deal and remote. Also our switch box or whatever its called had some bad connectors in the back so Tom found a replacement on the net, only $20, so we are waiting on that!

We put a 19 inch Toshiba in the bedroom.  But he found out that it is going to have to be tilted slightly for good picture quality. The one in the front has the cabinet already slightly tilted so maybe it would have been the same way but I doubt it.  If you stand up and look head on its fine but laying on the bed it isn't, who knew?  And like he said its mounted good and solid, so we are going to just try brightening up the picture some on it and see if that helps so he doesn't have to take it all apart.  Not even something either of us thought about. 

I sure wish we could have utilized all that wonderful cabinet space behind the bedroom one.  We have enough storage for us but it still bothered me seeing all that empty unused space in there.

LED TV's are still new technology like 3D TV's so its gonna take a few years to become cheaper but gldually reducing the back space is amazing and is making TV's more innovative

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob007
Back
Top Bottom