South Dakota Peter Norbeck Scenic Byway RV Friendly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmarxen

We will be traveling to Mt Rushmore this summer and will be passing through South Dakota to get there. We like to travel the scenic highways over interstates even though it takes more time. One scenic highway we're interested in is the Peter Norbeck National Scenic Byway but states has hairpin curves and three tunnels. Has anyone driven this scenic highway with at least a 38 ft RV? We have a 38ft Newmar Mountain Air and we surely do not want to get into a situation that would be difficult to reverse.

Thanks,

Jim & Nancy Marxen

First. DO NOT TAKE THE NEEDLES HWY portion of the Norbeck! 10 ft tunnels.  As I remember the section of 16A from Mount Rushmore to rte 36 als has some one lane narrow tunnels. I don;t remember if you could get a motorhome through them.

The east-west portion of 16A from rte 36 to Custer is ok. It has some twists and turns but nothing bad. Other than this section I don't remember any of the Perter Norbeck would drive a large motorhome.

I to will be going to MT Rushmore and surrounding area this summer. This is why I joined this wonderful site. Since I have joined this site I have learned more about RVing and about our great country. When I look back on how much I learned from from all you; I have probably saved a ton of heart aches and stress and I haven't even left yet.

We drove that road last summer in our VW. No Way would I do it in any size motorhome. There were tunnels and twists and turns. Spectacular scenery but not RV friendly. Here's a picture of one of the tunnels.

Wendy

Attachments

• 100_0254 (Small).JPG
    100_0254 (Small).JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 80
Wow, that tunnel picture is worth 100,000 words and the link to the clearances is very helpful. We will definitely add Cluster State park to our stops. We appreciate all of the feedback! This will help us in our trip planning so we'll need to get the maps out again.

- Jim & Nancy Marxen

You can purchase a "Trucker's Atlas" map book at any truck stop, i.e. Flying J/Pilot, T/A, Loves etc.  It will give you road restrictions.  If a big rig truck can't get through, most likely an RV might have trouble.

My husband loves to take scenic roads, when he turns on the signal to head on a scenic byway, I scramble for the "truckers atlas" the check to see if the road he wants to take is OK.

Be sure if you visit Custer State Park to see Mount Rushmore that you also visit Crazy Horse.

Marsha~

jmarxen said:
Wow, that tunnel picture is worth 100,000 words and the link to the clearances is very helpful. We will definitely add Cluster State park to our stops. We appreciate all of the feedback! This will help us in our trip planning so we'll need to get the maps out again.

When you are at the Park, there is a circle drive which is very scenic. Do it counterclockwise and you'll get a couple of great views of Mt Rushmore as well. You can see it in the opposite direction also, but have to look over your shoulder ??? .

I've personally witnessed tour buses making it through the Needles tunnels. Granted, they do not drive very fast, but I have seen it done.

Pay attention to the link  posted above and measure your RV and you will be fine.

Oly

I don't think the newer buses and taller motorhomes could make this.

I won't be trying it!

http://travellogs.us/2009%20Logs/South%20Dakota%202009/09-40%20Black%20Hills-Needles/IMG_4180busppppp.JPG
ken

Enjoy your trip to South Dakota but don't try the Needles Highway with a motor home. I drive a F250 and I had to put my mirrors in through one tunnel. I may have made it without but I sure felt better with them in.
BTW, if you have time, visit Wind Cave National Park. I'm somewhat handicapped with a bad leg but I toughed it out and enjoyed the cave immensly. One of the tours takes stairs down all the way and an elevator up. Worked for me.

Bob

My wife's family is from Custer, so we have been there many times over the past 25 years.  On the Needles Highway, there are three significant tunnels.  Like the picture above, I have one of those pictures on my camera of a tour bus going through the smallest of the 3 tunnels.  I was in our van at the time, but being right behind the bus, I was interested because I wanted to know if an RV could fit through.  The bus had a much tighter fit than the photo above.

The professional tour bus driver took about 10 minutes to go through a tunnel less than 200 feet long.  We followed the bus to Sylvan Lake.  The bus stopped there and so I decided to pull up next to the bus.  There where scrape marks all down the length of the bus.  It had to be a 45' motor coach and no telling how much damage there was.

While I highly recommend touring the Black Hills, I strongly suggest you carefully measure your RV height AND width.  If there is any doubt, chose another route.  I have  36' National RV Dophin and I will not attempt a tunnel.

Needles Highway is beautiful, but as an alternative, take the Wildlife Loop early in the morning.  More than one I have stopped for a herd of several hundred buffalo crossing the road.  If you go in the middle of the day, you are less likely to see a lot of wildlife.

Have a great trip.

Ken & Sheila said:
Remember that bus doesn't have awning sticking out on the sides!

And that is why I wrote this in my last post.

Pay attention to the link  posted above and measure your RV and you will be fine.

As long your dimensions are smaller than the link by what you feel is a decent amount, you will have no issues going through the tunnels.

Oly

Olys45 said:
As long your dimensions are smaller than the link by what you feel is a decent amount, you will have no issues going through the tunnels.

Better yet, leave the motorhome in the campground and take a nice, relaxing tour of the scenic highway in your toad/towed with no worries about where you'll fit and where you won't :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TessInBandon
Back
Top Bottom