South West Montana this summer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Theolympians

Hi all.....If you are familiar with SW Montana, we will be going to Bannack this summer for their annual fest there. We are wondering if there are any other ghost towns nearby, within an hour or so. Also, any ranches near there that offer horseback riding or chuck wagon dinners etc?

Try Montana Tourism and Southwest Montana Tourism for lots of Ideas.  Also check Idaho tourism for things close to Dillon MT.  There is a great drive from Anaconda MT to Hamilton, the Skalkaho(SP) for an al day trip and many others in the area.  I am not up on that area as I lived a few hours away in the Bozeman area.  Enjoy the summer.

You may want to start the kids on the Lewis and Clark history as they came through that area in about 1806 or so, all my books are still packed from the move. :mad:

Do not miss: Lewis and Clark Caverns.

The only reason why that incredible cave isn't a national park or monument, is the fact that Montana made it a State Park so early in the game.

If the kids are into dinosaurs, check out the Museum of the Rockies in Bozeman.  The curator there was advisor to the Jurassic Park movies.  They may have some of the newer theories on the dinosaurs on display too.  Three Forks is near the junction of the 3 rivers that form the Missouri River.  The state park there commemorates the Lewis and Clark journey as well.  There is an interesting plaque there on John Coulter and his escape from the Indians.  Yellowstone was known as Coulter's Hell.
Virginia city is a nice trip, train ride if you schedule right as well as old time theater follies etc.

Another intersting Ghost Town in Western Montana is Garnet.

Garnet is a ghost town in Granite County, Montana, United States. Located on the dirt Garnet Range Road, it is an abandoned mining town that dates from the 1860s. In First Chance Gulch in western Montana, the town is located 11 miles up the Garnet Range Road, in beautiful mountains and forest. The town is at about 6,000 feet (1,800 m) elevation.
Garnet was originally named Mitchell in 1895 and had ten buildings. The main part of the town was built on the Garnet Lode. Later changing its name to Garnet, it was a rich gold mining area. In 1898, as many as 1,000 people lived here; it was abandoned 20 years later when the gold ran out. A fire in 1912 destroyed half the town, which was never rebuilt. Supplies needed in Garnet were generally obtained from nearby Bearmouth.
Despite this, Garnet is one of the state's best preserved with 16,000 visitors annually. The annual celebration the third Saturday of each year is Garnet Day. Garnet's oldest living member, Mary Jane Adams Morin, came to visit every year.[1]
The nearest city is Missoula, about 20 miles (32 km) to the west. The closest city to the east is Butte, about 100 miles (160 km) away.
Garnet has the Wells hotels, Kelly Saloon, Daveys Store and many outer buildings, preserved and intact. During the 1890s it had close to 13 saloons (bars), and food stores, barber shop, mercantile store, 3 hotels. The hotels were started for passers-by, or people coming to pick up gold. They typically ranged from 1-3 dollars, and the poor miners who could not afford that price could sleep in the attic without any windows for a quarter. It is suspected that Garnet even had a brothel, but prices and the exact whereabouts are uncertain. Garnet was famous for its saloons; at its peak the saloons were one of the hottest spots in Garnet.

Love Montana - I have been to Bannack a couple times...The Museum in Dillon is also interesting there are a couple, one downtown in the old train station and one at the University.

Jim

Great ideas all! I think the caverns are going to be on the to-do list. If Viginia city has a train, the kids would love that. Garnet is awesome, we have been there twice before!

If you need a nice park in Dillon - I always stay here going North and South every year - very friendly owners and a little WWII History museum. Also within walking distance of Sparky's Garage / Bar restaurant - good food!

Southside RV Park

Sparky's

Love the area around Dillon...you may also want to make a day trip to Virginia City - easy day trip from Dillon.

Have fun...

Jim

What dates are you going to be in that area? We're planning a trip down that way in June. We live in NW Montana just a couple miles from Glacier and have never been to Yellowstone. Gonna spend 4 or 5 days in Yellowstone, then 2 or 3 around Virginia City area. Been to Virginia City once but it was early in the season and nothing was open yet. I lived in Bozeman for 3 years but never ventured over to see much in that direction. My wife has been to all that stuff, her family was big on vacations when she was growing up. My family didn't take vacations when I was growing up.

My son lives in Bozeman, and we love camping south of town in the Gallatin National Forest. There are a number of spots, but our favorite is Langohr. Nice creek for fishing, reservoir up the canyon a few Mike's, lots of hiking, and an easy trip into Bozemon, one of my favorite towns.

We are going sometime in June or July. We have been  to Glacier several times and Yellowstone twice. We were looking for a different area of Mt to concentrate on. Yellowstone is nice, but truthfully I wouldn't want to go back in the summer unless it was to the backcountry. Way too many crowds. Cross off old faithful form the bucket list then drive to the less accessible areas of the park.....Still a beautiful area!

There's nice RV park about 8 miles north of Phiipsburg, MT on Rt 1 in Boulder Creek. While there you can drive to the ghost town of Granite which is 8 miles out of Philipsburg. We went to both Garnet and Granite this last summer and really enjoyed the old mine and stamp mill at Granite. Also lots to see in Butte.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knuckles2828
Back
Top Bottom