Southwire Surgeguard 4120

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phil-t

I have Sothwire Surgeguard 41260. This issue just recently began on a 2014 Tiffin Allegro 36LA. When I connect to shore power (shore power has been verified correctly wired for polarity and voltage) the relay for shore power closes and ~3 seconds later it disconnects. So, by accident, I leave shore power connected and start generator, power comes in the RV in ~30 seconds and all is well. I shut generator down and shore power connects in and works as it should. Any ideas?
Strange to me!
surgeguard.jpg

Is there no error indicator when it disconnects? If you have the remote display for the 41260, what does it show before & after shutting down? The 41260 doesn't do voltage or frequency monitoring, so it's not that. The relays stay engaged as long as voltage is sufficient to operate them, about 90v according to Surgeguard.

The only thing I can think of is a loose wire where the shore cord connects to the 41260, and the action of the generator relay wiggles the shore power relay enough to make it engage fully. A check for loose wire connections is always a smart way to start troubleshooting.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I had a very similar issue with a "regular" transfer switch. Everything was fine on generator power but as soon as it would switch to shore power, the 50A breaker would trip. There was no visible indication of a short, no sparking, etc. But after replacing the transfer switch, everything was fine. I tore apart the old switch and never did identify the short circuit current path.

No lights on the switch. I got a call back from Southwire support and did an hour of troubleshooting. Determined it is either a faulty coil on the shore power relay or a vaulty control board. Still, the symptoms did not make a lot of sense to him. Recommending I replace it with a basic transfer switch and add a multi mode surge protector.

Recommending I replace it with a basic transfer switch and add a multi mode surge protector.

For other reasons that is my suggestion in all cases. Though "Combination" devices are nice and space saving when one half fails. The whole thing is toast.
Google Huges Autoformer Install Kit.
I would install the "Surge Guard" part in the manner of the Autoformer Install kit.
What that is.. In this case I'd bring SHORE POWER in to a 50 amp outlet A short pigtail (Male) goes to the Surge Guard "LINE" terminals. a second short pigtail with outlet goes to the "LOAD" terminals. Now seal it up.
And a short pigtail (Male plug) from there to the Shore Power terminals on the ATS.
(I trust Onan's computer to protect me on Generator power)
WHY. Heaven forbid that either the Surge Guard go Diodes UP (Fail) or the RV gets Totaled (That's what happened to me) Unplug,,unplug and plug one back in and it's outta there to be installed in the next rig or awaiting replacement.

Recommending I replace it with a basic transfer switch and add a multi mode surge protector.
That would be my choice rather than a repair. The 41260 doesn't do active voltage monitoring, so an improved protector would be a plus. And separating the ATS from the protection unit is a plus if you ever have one or the other fail in the future (you only but the part that breaks).

All done, finally - new transfer switch installed with a pigtail and plug on the shore power input. Recepticle installed on shore cable and a Surgegaurd in place. Everything locked in the electrical bay. Installation went well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big Dog
Back
Top Bottom