Spam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OOoo, that sandwich looks good. I love fried SPAM.:cool:
So do I but it should come with a coupon for half off a coronary bypass. I read that most of the problems with obesity and obesity related health issues in the S. Pacific are attributable to us introducing them to processed foods like Spam during WWII.

We don't have Spam very often, mostly because we enjoy it so much. But it's one of the things that folks either really love or are completely turned off by it. We fall into the "love" group.

Slice Spam thin, fry it in a bit of REAL butter in a frying pan. Let it get just a touch of crispy on the edges, and eat it any way you like: as a sandwich, as a main meat dish, chopped up and put in scramble eggs, in an omelet. Instead of using hamburger for meat balls in a spaghetti sauce, use Spam cut in little chunks instead. Oh yum!

It's a great treat, a nice snack when you want something different. It works good on Ritz Crackers, saltines, or even "cracker" items like Wheat Thins.

Great stuff! I agree, it's not for everyone, which makes me glad, I'm NOT just everyone!

Don'tforget canned sardines. I like the baby ones.
Reality is, I think it's been over a year since I've tasted any of those. ;)

Don'tforget canned sardines. I like the baby ones.
Reality is, I think it's been over a year since I've tasted any of those. ;)
I take them out fishing, it's convenient just to peel back the lid and eat them straight from the can. Never had any baby sardines though, I'll have to look into that.

Jay Hormel invented Spam during the Great Depression as a way to market the otherwise unprofitable pork shoulder meat. It became a cheap but flavorful meat for troops stationed in the South Pacific during WWII and made it's way into local cuisine when other sources of protein were unavailable. Spam also helped alleviate famine in post war Russia and Europe.

Spam (food) - Wikipedia

There must be 10-15 different “flavors” of Spam now. I’ve tried them all, I think, and they all taste exactly the same with the exception of the jalapeño and Tabasco (hotter) and teriyaki (saltier).
I still love the stuff, but seldom eat it because it is just so bad for me.

I can remember spam when I was a kid. I hated it so much. I still remember what it smelt like. Even today when I get near it, I want to up-chuck.

I take them out fishing, it's convenient just to peel back the lid and eat them straight from the can. Never had any baby sardines though, I'll have to look into that.
Just "small". Look for the sardines that packed 16-18 per can.

As a teen, We had a cook at our summer camp who made the best Spam. He cooked slices on a griddle along with pineapple slices. It was soooo good. Just like ham slices and pineapple slices...
Now I've got to give it a try...
:love:

Safe travels and all the best..

OK, gotta stop reading this thread; not compatible with my salt-free diet. 25 years ago I'd be all-in.
I'd open a tin of sardines and DW would go outside.

As a teen, We had a cook at our summer camp who made the best Spam. He cooked slices on a griddle along with pineapple slices. It was soooo good. Just like ham slices and pineapple slices...
Now I've got to give it a try...
:love:

Safe travels and all the best..
Sounds kind of nasty. They serve pineapple with everything in Hawaii. I used to like pineapple...until I spent a lot of Navy time in Hawaii.

Back
Top Bottom