SPARE TIRE BUMPER RACK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Craig and Linda

After arriving and setting up at a park last week, I noticed my spare tire was gone!  Just the remains of the tilt down bumper mount remained.
What rack would you recommend, that will last through reasonable road bumps.  I have to buy a new spare tire/wheel and mounting rack.
Any good sources for each? 
THANKS,
Craig

Ebay. 50 bux
Or I have heard others take the tire of and put under bed in master. It saves weight and cost by not having to have a mount and cable and lock to keep it secure.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Fab-RV-Bumpers-Spare-Tire-Carrier-Rack-Universal-Mount-Truck-Trailer-Wheel-/152284431931?hash=item2374dc063b:g:4MwAAOSwPCVYBQ6f&vxp=mtr

What a welcome to the campground!  :( Did you have your phone number engraved on the rim?  ;D  ;D

Triple has a good idea.  Others keep in the basement, if you have room.

The most likely cause of the "lost" wheel is that the lug bolts were not properly torqued onto the carrier.  For added security, run a chain or cable through the rim and around the tire holder.  If the bolts do come loose, at least the tire stays with you.

grashley said:
What a welcome to the campground!  :( Did you have your phone number engraved on the rim?  ;D  ;D

Triple has a good idea.  Others keep in the basement, if you have room.

The most likely cause of the "lost" wheel is that the lug bolts were not properly torqued onto the carrier.  For added security, run a chain or cable through the rim and around the tire holder.  If the bolts do come loose, at least the tire stays with you.
good advise ^^^. I have done this to my spare, and its sitting in my drive way !. I keep everything locked up, chains, pad locks, cables, you name it !. 30-40 years ago, I could leave my front door unlocked, and go away, not today !..lol. not long ago, had someone '' removed '' one of my 30gal propane tanks from the front of my trailer, cut the line, ran off with it, the sad part of it ?, IT WAS EMPTY !..LOL. still, that cost me over 100 bucks to replace the tank, another few bucks to replace the propane line. well, I then ran a big cable through my tanks, huge shackle padlock, and locked them to the tongue , then put a cover over them, and installed another camera to '' watch '' the front of my trailer now. nothing is safe these days. if you want to keep it ?, then plan ahead, and make sure it stays where you put it !. keep in mind, a lock/chain is just to keep honest ppl away !, if the thief wants something bad enough ?, they will get it no matter what !.

I wouldn't put a spare tire under my bed. We use that for storage and who wants a tire in the coach.
My advise would be to remount the spare where it belongs on the back of the trailer. Running a cable to secure it is an idea, however, I have been to Alaska and back on roads that you will never see in the lower 48 and never had a problem with my spare. Never came loose and the lug bolts are secure.
One thing I do is check the spare before a trip for tire pressure. I do not torque the 2 nuts that hold it on the bracket and they have never loosened one bit.
I seriously doubt anyone is looking to steal your spare.

Stan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KEC
Back
Top Bottom