Specific to Florida: no boat title = no registration, no solution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

I'm looking for a small (about 10') Jon boat or skiff to hang my little outboard on to play on the Suwannee. Virtually all of the boats I've found the sellers don't have the title. Typically the boat has changed hands many times and no one has any idea who last had the title. Certain that there was some sort of "no idea where the title is" type paperwork,  I went to the Florida DMV to find out. Nope. If the title can't be found, the boat can't be registered, ever. I was certain there would be some sort of "I swear I didn't steal it" way to go, but once the last titled owner can't be found, the boat becomes a rowboat and can never be powered again. (If powered it must be registered.)

I can only imagine how many people buy a little boat and find out after the fact that they can't get it registered.

I had read online, and unbelievably this was suggested in the FL DMV office, that I take the boat to GA and register it there (apparently GA is much more lenient). Then, once its registered in GA, bring the GA registration to FL. FL honors the GA registration, and based on that will issue a FL title and registration. I have to find out what sort of residency requirements GA has for those registering a boat there. Kinda like 'laundering' the title I guess.  :eek:

FYI for anyone in FL considering the purchase of an older, small skiff, shore boat, dingy or similar.

Perhaps you should buy a boat in Georgia, and with the purchase document, register it there, and then bring it down to Florida.

If FL knows that there are ways of getting around it, why don't they just make exceptions and let you register it.  CRAZY HuH?  Will (Catblaster) is a long time boater in FL, he may have some input if he reads this.

LarsMac said:
Perhaps you should buy a boat in Georgia, and with the purchase document, register it there, and then bring it down to Florida.

It's a thought, or still buy it in FL but drive up to GA to license it. As I mentioned, I need to check with the GA GMV to find out what their rules are for non-residents with regard to licensing boats. It's probably not a problem but I need to be certain how the process will work before committing to a purchase.

Rene T said:
If FL knows that there are ways of getting around it, why don't they just make exceptions and let you register it.  CRAZY HuH? 

Very crazy. I couldn't believe it, I actually must have asked the question 3 different ways to be sure both they and I was understanding. I was certain there would be some sort of form, me signing an affidavit that I didn't steal it, something. They were adamant, if I couldn't come up with the title, it could never be registered, period.

The only workaround they suggested was that I say it was a homemade boat. I would have to state, under penalty of perjury, that I built it. You have to mention what type of materials were used along with a bunch of other details. Then sign at the bottom "I swear this is all true". Had a look at the forms and handed them back and told them I wasn't going that route.

While it's very unlikely I'd ever run across anyone who would check for registration, they take this very seriously. It's a Class 2 misdemeanor to operate a powered unregistered boat.

Who knew hanging a 20 year old outboard on a 20 year old 10 foot boat worth a couple hundred bucks at best would be such a big deal?  :eek:

So let me get this right.
You do not want to swear you made the boat, but you are willing to circumvent the law so that you can register a possibly stolen boat.

Hmmm

Then some think it funny that Florida has a rule to stop the theft of boats
Hmmm  Hmmm

darsben said:
So let me get this right.
You do not want to swear you made the boat, but you are willing to circumvent the law so that you can register a possibly stolen boat.

Hmmm

Then some think it funny that Florida has a rule to stop the theft of boats
Hmmm  Hmmm

One way is actually breaking the law and the other one is not breaking the law but just taking a chance.
FL allows tyou to do that so what's the problem.  He would not be breaking any laws.

If the boat has an old FL registration number on it, the DMV can identify the previous owner who had a title and you can ask that person to request a duplicate.  I did that last year for a guy who bought a boat I had sold 3-4 years earlier. Turned out my buyer never transferred the title (and yes, it was powered and yes, he operated the boat at least a few times).

Gary RV_Wizard said:
If the boat has an old FL registration number on it, the DMV can identify the previous owner who had a title and you can ask that person to request a duplicate.  I did that last year for a guy who bought a boat I had sold 3-4 years earlier. Turned out my buyer never transferred the title (and yes, it was powered and yes, he operated the boat at least a few times).

I did ask about that. If I was able to contact that person, and if they were willing to go to some effort for a boat that was no longer theirs, and if the seller was willing to wait for the title....

We'll have to see how this goes

Some years ago, a small aluminum boat arrived at our dock in a winter storm. It looked like a piece of junk, had no means of propulsion, and had no registration numbers, but it was somebody's boat, so I tried to find the owner. I placed an ad on local boards, and drove around the neighborhood by car and by water. The only possibility I came up with was a house with a pair of boat launch rails down to the water (unusual in this neighborhood) without a boat. I visited several times to ring the doorbell, but never caught the part time homeowners home. One time I saw a neighbor and asked, but they couldn't help with contact info.

Meanwhile, I'd tied the boat up at the end of one finger of our dock with a sign.

I received one call from a lady who told me her husband "lost" his beloved fishing boat and was distressed. Could they come and look at the boat? I wasn't sure if these folks were genuine, but said "sure, come over". They looked down at the piece of junk from our deck for all of a couple of seconds, and said it wasn't theirs.

Chris eventually told me I had to get this eyesore out of here. So I had the bright idea of calling the Sheriff's office and asking if they had a 'lost and found' list. They didn't, but they'd have someone stop by. Oh my, I didn't want to waste an officer's time. Within an hour, 3 large armed  Sheriff's deputies showed up at my front door. I apologized for probably wasting their time, but they said they were en route to the patrol boat berthed at the local marina when they received the call.

After looking the small boat over, a deputy agreed to come with me (by car) to the house with the empty boat rails. He said he'd track down the homeowner by other means and call. He subsequently came back and said it didn't belong to the homeowner. Then he told me that California DMV has a form you can fill in to claim the boat. Chris really didn't want this boat at our dock, but it stayed there until ...

One day a couple of guys were working on a neighbor's dock from a small dinghy. I asked if they wanted the aluminum boat as a "work boat", and they jumped at it. When they towed it away, I made it clear there were no return privileges.

Had I known, I could have kept the boat for Scott, filled in the DMV form and registered it in CA, and Scott could have towed it away. Oh wait, it didn't have a trailer  ???

Tom said:
Had I known, I could have kept the boat for Scott, filled in the DMV form and registered it in CA, and Scott could have towed it away. Oh wait, it didn't have a trailer  ???

Very generous thought Tom. Let's see, boat trailer for "free" boat $500. 5000 mile round trip with my truck to pickup "free" boat (5000/15 mpg X $2.75/gal [$4.50+ in CA!] = $916 in gas for "free" boat). After driving 5000 miles another oil change for truck with synthetic for "free" boat, ~$60. Couple of weeks involved in transport. Ya, shame that didn't work out  ;) ;D

But... we coulda had a mini rally! :))

Back2PA said:
I did ask about that. If I was able to contact that person, and if they were willing to go to some effort for a boat that was no longer theirs, and if the seller was willing to wait for the title....

We'll have to see how this goes

Something else to think about, is the DMV willing to give out the name of that person. Privacy act maybe.

FL really strict about registration.  To get a new title is not impossible, but the process (DMV may provide the steps, often have to go to courthouse to get process) may be more trouble than vessel is worth.  The 'work around' often used is to apply for a 'home made title'.  That too is a challenge requiring receipts, inspection etc.  I have a small classic hull sitting in my yard.. for 8 years now.  I have the title, signed by seller - but also signed by buyer (who is not me).  I am unable to contact either the seller (who DMV considers still the owner) or the 'buyer' (who I got boat from).  I didn't pay attention when I bought boat.. it had a title, it was signed.. Now I"m stuck.    Besides taking to GA or NC, registering, then bringing back an other option might be having a legitimate boat builder do a total rebuild and get a new HIN issued.. 
  Boat trailers on the other hand require nothing more than bill of sale.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom