Spending the Winter in Mexico

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Luca1369 said:
This is not a fair comparison.  Murders in LA were largely what?  Criminal upon victim?  In Mexico it is madness, the cartels take on not only innocent civilians, but the police AND the military.  That does not happen in LA does it?  Perhaps a bit, but not on the scale that it occurs south of the border.

And of the 376 murders, how many were American?  How many were RVers?  How many were innocent bystanders?  I think you're trying to compare apples and oranges here and it won't work. 

I used to defend Mexico.  I used to try to convince folks to go down there and discover the land and her people.  I used to love Tampico.  I met a lovely Mexican doctor there and we dated for a while.  I love Vera Cruz.  I love Chiapas, what a beautiful state.  But today the violence has moved far south of the border.  Places I felt comfortable, almost like my second home, now seem caught up in the violence and insanity that has taken over so many areas of Mexico.  It's not just a border thing anymore.  It may be just a matter of time before more foreigners become murder victims.

I believe that there is a real danger in Mexico these days and manipulating numbers will not cover that up.

Maybe so, you're the expert... LA had some big riots, not too long ago.  Probably wise to avoid parts of LA (and many other metro areas) as well.  I don't know the answers to your questions and probably will not even attempt to find the information since many minds are already closed to one extent or another.  I guess if people want to go, they can; if they don't, they won't.  If it were even half as dangerous as described, seems like the State Dept would act in the best interests of American citizens and prohibit all travel to Mx.

http://www.mexicomike.com/safety/safety-UsStateDepartment.html

Love the comment about living through cable TV!

This one ? http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/01/school-board-member-killed-in-mexico-was-in-wrong-place-at-the-wrong-time-expolice-chief-says.html

Family, police chief say "wrong place, wrong time."

Could happen anywhere.

Church people  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Life_Church_(Colorado_Springs,_Colorado)#Shooting
Shooting at a church  http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/30991697/detail.html
Wrong place  http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/30991697/detail.html
Another  http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2012/feb/21/victim-caught-in-wrong-place/
Another  http://www.sj-r.com/top-stories/x2094011195/Murder-victim-was-in-wrong-place-at-wrong-time

Google "murder wrong place." These are just a couple examples that have happened very recently. Bad people are everywhere. Our people are no better or worse than those in Mexico. We are all hanging on.

Mexican people are the kindest, most gentle, generous and friendly people I have met travelling all over the world. Americans could learn a whole lot from them. Are there bad ones? Yes, they are getting the Americans the drugs they crave so badly.

*Start of rant*

Somebody is smoking their socks if you think that LA or any us city even come close to the death and carnage that goes on in Mexico every day. My very first inquiry into the death toll in Mexico showed over 15,000 deaths in the three border states in Mexico in the last 4 years. In another comparison, a citizen was 9 times more likely to be killed in Mexico than in Afghanistan during the war there.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/12/mexico-drug-war-deaths-2010_n_808277.html

There is no argument here. Real simple, if Mexico is the paradise that you think that it is, then pack up and move south. I am sure you can find a place cheap. But, hey, it's a friendly place......

*End of Rant*

Polarizing subject for sure. I'm out of this discussion. Too many closed minds. Too many believe the US is perfect (ever wonder why we are hated in so many areas of the world?), and that no other country can compare. Don't think its because of what we have materially. Most on this planet are merely trying to survive.

Think Mexico and the mexican people are happy about crime and violence? Think they'd like to get to the source of it and solve it? Think maybe our glutoneous, fat, lazy, too-good-to-do-that-job attitude, drug consuming, hypocritical, me-me-me country has anything to do with it?

Yeah, I didn't think so. Now go cram another big mac down your throat, while you waddle to that pump and spend another three hundred dollars on diesel so you can go to Branson and "really see the world."

Not me, thank you. I choose not to be gray. You go on now. So will I.

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

SargeW said:
*Start of rant*

Somebody is smoking their socks if you think that LA or any us city even come close to the death and carnage that goes on in Mexico every day. My very first inquiry into the death toll in Mexico showed over 15,000 deaths in the three border states in Mexico in the last 4 years. In another comparison, a citizen was 9 times more likely to be killed in Mexico than in Afghanistan during the war there.  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/01/12/mexico-drug-war-deaths-2010_n_808277.html

There is no argument here. Real simple, if Mexico is the paradise that you think that it is, then pack up and move south. I am sure you can find a place cheap. But, hey, it's a friendly place......

*End of Rant*
Yep.

Thanks to years of "Do Nothing Congresscritters" the open border is just allowing the plague to spread North.

I wish we would have a real border and real enforcement of the immigration laws.

Turn loose our military with a huge "training area" the length of our border with live ammo, this would put a dent in the cross border influx, but sadly for various reasons, both parties would rather allow our nation to rot from the increase of the illegal activity than take the steps to protect her.

Oly

SargeW said:
*Start of rant*

*End of Rant*

"15,000 in 4 years", we do that many murders every year...  :-\

Here's a "rant" from the FBI: (rate numbers are per 100,000 people)

In 2009 (reported crime statistics)
population 307,006,550
violent crime 1,318,398
violent crime rate 429.4 
murders 15,241 (in one year) (65,000 in last 4 years)
murder rate 5
rapes 88,097
rape rate    29
robberies 408,217
robbery rate 133
assaults 806,843
assault rate 262
property crimes 9,320,971
property crime rate 3,036
Burglaries 2,199,125
Burglary rate 716.3
Larcenies 6,327,230
larceny rate 2,060.9 7
vehicle thefts 94,616
vehicle theft rate 258.8

and we buy most of the drugs.

"Worrying is like a rocking chair: it gives you something to do, but doesn't get you anywhere."
- Van Wilder

taoshum said:
"15,000 in 4 years", we do that many murders every year...  :-\

Here's a "rant" from the FBI: (rate numbers are per 100,000 people)

In 2009 (reported crime statistics)
population 307,006,550
violent crime 1,318,398
violent crime rate 429.4 
murders 15,241 (in one year) (65,000 in last 4 years)
murder rate 5
rapes 88,097
rape rate    29
robberies 408,217
robbery rate 133
assaults 806,843
assault rate 262
property crimes 9,320,971
property crime rate 3,036
Burglaries 2,199,125
Burglary rate 716.3
Larcenies 6,327,230
larceny rate 2,060.9 7
vehicle thefts 94,616
vehicle theft rate 258.8

and we buy most of the drugs.

"Worrying is like a rocking chair: it gives you something to do, but doesn't get you anywhere."
- Van Wilder

You pulled stats from 2009 for the WHOLE Nation versus a small area next to the border with a fraction of the population.

Putting that into perspective it is more dangerous to be in the small border area of Mexico than the US.

Oly

Olys45 said:
You pulled stats from 2009 for the WHOLE Nation versus a small area next to the border with a fraction of the population.

Putting that into perspective it is more dangerous to be in the small border area of Mexico than the US.

Oly

OK, we'll use your numbers.    ???

The Padres... Are they not a girls field hockey team from the Broncs?  :eek: :eek: :eek:

Olys45 said:
Yep.

Thanks to years of "Do Nothing Congresscritters" the open border is just allowing the plague to spread North.

I wish we would have a real border and real enforcement of the immigration laws.

Turn loose our military with a huge "training area" the length of our border with live ammo, this would put a dent in the cross border influx, but sadly for various reasons, both parties would rather allow our nation to rot from the increase of the illegal activity than take the steps to protect her.

Oly

I some times wonder if both parties would rather worry about how many votes they might lose (and subsequently their jobs) if they irritate U. S. voters from south of the border than take into consideration where our nation is currently  headed.  Hopefully things will turn around after the first of the year

Wagonmaster2.

Wagonmaster2 said:
I some times wonder if both parties would rather worry about how many votes they might lose (and subsequently their jobs) if they irritate U. S. voters from south of the border than take into consideration where our nation is currently  headed.  Hopefully things will turn around after the first of the year

Wagonmaster2.

Please be careful about "what you ask for"... "you might get it"; and if/when you do, who's gonna do all the field work on the thousands of big agricultural operations which provide most of our food?  And, all the thousands of other jobs that need to be done that cannot attract applicants or graduates from our educational institutions?  Then, on top of this, where are all the drug customers gonna get their supplies?

Might wanna address some of these issues while you are solving the other border challenges.  Just sayin'. 

Hope that the Padres do well.  And the Rockies, too.

A "girls field hockey team"... OUCH! (If they were playing any good at all this year I could deny it, but... Oh well... sometimes the truth hurts. :)

taoshum said:
Please be careful about "what you ask for"... "you might get it"; and if/when you do, who's gonna do all the field work on the thousands of big agricultural operations which provide most of our food?  And, all the thousands of other jobs that need to be done that cannot attract applicants or graduates from our educational institutions?  Then, on top of this, where are all the drug customers gonna get their supplies?

Might wanna address some of these issues while you are solving the other border challenges.  Just sayin'. 

Hope that the Padres do well.  And the Rockies, too.
If somebody wants to cross legally and do the migrant farm worker routine I'm all for it. I just dislike the hordes or illegals and drug runners crossing. Enforce the border and everything would even out eventually. I still cannot believe that the US went to the trouble of installing those signs warning US Residents to stay away from the border area because it was unsafe, but yet they do nothing to stem the tide.

Oly

Olys45 said:
If somebody wants to cross legally and do the migrant farm worker routine I'm all for it. I just dislike the hordes or illegals and drug runners crossing. Enforce the border and everything would even out eventually. I still cannot believe that the US went to the trouble of installing those signs warning US Residents to stay away from the border area because it was unsafe, but yet they do nothing to stem the tide.

Oly

Amen.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cory5999
Back
Top Bottom