"Spirited Discussion" re: cost of HughesNet Equipment!!!! HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're not going to find any broadband internet service that doesn't have a contract for at least the first year.

The other internet by satellite system is Starband.  However, unless something has changed you cannot use a Starband system with Motosat as they haven't yet came out with an Automated Cross Pole system.

If you buy a Hughesnet system used there may be no committment.  I do know of a few individuals that have the Motosat system that they bought used and just used their existing Hughesnet modem with the Motosat.  Some folks use the Motosat system but do not use Motosat as a VAR.

Ron said:
If you buy a Hughesnet system used there may be no committment.  I do know of a few individuals that have the Motosat system that they bought used and just used their existing Hughesnet modem with the Motosat.  Some folks use the Motosat system but do not use Motosat as a VAR.

I thought that one had to use a VAR to get  the Hughesnet service.  ???    ???    ???

I have some holes in the  understanding graph. 

Liz

Liz,

What you "have to have" with HughesNet and Starband is a certified installer to activate/register the modem. However, you have to use a VAR to get the Datastorm equipment.

Tom said:
Liz,

What you "have to have" with HughesNet and Starband is a certified installer to activate/register the modem. However, you have to use a VAR to get the Datastorm equipment.

Ohhhhh, OK. Is a VAR also a installer?

Liz

Jackliz said:
Is a VAR also a installer?

I suppose they are, or could be. But I'll let Ned or Russ answer that one.

BTW my VAR comments refer to new equipment. The folks here who have bought used Datastorm systems have installed the equipment themselves and merely hooked up their existing HughesNet modems which had been previously activated/registered (by a certified installer).

Ron said:
The other internet by satellite system is Starband.  However, unless something has changed you cannot use a Starband system with Motosat as they haven't yet came out with an Automated Cross Pole system.

My auto roof mount is an iNetVu by C-COM vs. Motosat with a Starband dish. SB does not require x-pol to get on line. And the iNetVu mount is so precise SB does not require users to test X-Pol after lock on.

When you buy a HughesNet system for tripod mounting, you buy from a dealer who is your first line of support.  HughesNet is the secondary support.  When you buy a Datastorm from a dealer, the dealer is again the first line of support, but your actual service is bought from a VAR (Value Added Reseller) like Motosat.  You can call the VAR directly for technical support for the HughesNet service, you never call HughesNet.  The value added is the support is infinitely better than you will get from HughesNet who won't even talk to you as you bought service from the VAR. The VAR gives you more flexibility, such as being able to changes satellites if necessary, nearly impossible to do if dealing directly with HugheNet.  This considerable additional support costs an additional $10/month.  With a Datastorm you will get the Pro Plan which has a higher FAP than the home plan that normally comes with a tripod system.

The Datastorm has also been proven to be precise enough to not require cross pol also, but HugesNet insists on it.  They would do so with any mount.  The Datastorm is also being used successfully with the iDirect service.  If the Datastorm  were configured for Starband, it wouldn't require cross pol either.

Ned said:
When you buy a HughesNet system for tripod mounting, you buy from a dealer who is your first line of support.  HughesNet is the secondary support.  When you buy a Datastorm from a dealer, the dealer is again the first line of support, but your actual service is bought from a VAR (Value Added Reseller) like Motosat.  You can call the VAR directly for technical support for the HughesNet service, you never call HughesNet.  The value added is the support is infinitely better than you will get from HughesNet who won't even talk to you as you bought service from the VAR. The VAR gives you more flexibility, such as being able to changes satellites if necessary, nearly impossible to do if dealing directly with HugheNet.  This considerable additional support costs an additional $10/month.  With a Datastorm you will get the Pro Plan which has a higher FAP than the home plan that normally comes with a tripod system.

OK, I understand that. Thanks.
What would the situation be if I purchased a used Datastorm system from a private individual?  How do I get service? Would I contact a VAR for that?

Liz

Yes, you could contact Motosat (for example, but I can't recommend any one else) for service.  You could even purchase a maintenance contract on the Datastorm.

In our case I think the extra $10 a month for VAR service would have been a waste of money since in the 6 + years I have been using Satellite interent we have yet  to find it necessary to contact Direcway/Hughesnet or my installer for any kind of service.  Also when I upgraded to the 7000 modem I took the pro plane which casts $69 a month.

In our case I think the extra $10 a month for VAR service would have been a waste of money since in the 6 + years I have been using Satellite interent we have yet  to find it necessary to contact Direcway/Hughesnet or my installer for any kind of service.
Same can be said about insurance; pick one - auto, health, rv maint. etc. You hope you never need it, but when you do, do you want to be put in the queue with someone with nothing to lose/gain, or someone with a little skin in the game, like Motosat? I think an additional $120/yr is pretty cheap for the coverage and support you get.

Liz (and Jack),
I'd be willing to bet you pay at least half the $80/mo you would spend on a dish system for your cell phone(s). They're not free either, and require a 1-2 year commitment for new service or a 'New after two' upgrade, as provided by some companies. Maybe time to retire the buggy whip?  ;) 

Karl said:
Liz (and Jack),
I'd be willing to bet you pay at least half the $80/mo you would spend on a dish system for your cell phone(s). They're not free either, and require a 1-2 year commitment for new service or a 'New after two' upgrade, as provided by some companies. Maybe time to retire the buggy whip?  ;) 

LOL. Actually our cell phone monthly bill is a family plan, $70. Jack's thrifty side is in full force over this dish system. But he grudgingly admits that we have to do something. C'est la vie.  :D  :D

Regards,
Liz

Back
Top Bottom