Sports Coach Remodel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mariaburchell

I am having trouble setting a plan to replace the ceiling in my 78 Sports Coach, I have not completely torn out the ceiling (although the elements did not hesitate to start without me).  From what I see, there is a lot of foam/Styrofoam not quite sure what it is on the places where the ceiling is sagged. Apparently the vents were screwed to this foam and will no longer stay put.  What can I use in order to refasten the vents? Also, is the entire ceiling made of foam? If so how would I attach the new ceiling.  Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Pictures might help.

I rebuilt a 74 dodge and there was no foam. regular pink fiberglass like stuff. and the vents were screws to the wood cross members.
when you say vents are you referring to the trim on the inside? I could see it not being held on with much but the vent itself should be attached to something a bit more solid.

I will upload some pictures soon, I have taken the ceiling down on the back portion; she is not looking too good.  One wooden beam is shot. I have been doing some research and found out that a few companies would sandwich foam insulation in between the ceiling and the roof along with the beams. That is what I am running into.  Water was coming in through some of the vents including the bathroom vent. BTW the restroom portion is shot at well. I have not taken the ceiling off the bathroom, but I can already see that it will need to be replaced.  Lots of work, but like I said I'm out of work and have plenty of time and lots of scrap green wood now if the temperature would only cooperate we hit 109 yesterday, I was not going to be inside an aluminum can with those temps. I will move this conversation to the remodeling and I will see if I can attach some pictures. I will label it Sports Coach remodel. Thanks for your response.

I will move this conversation to the remodeling and I will see if I can attach some pictures. I will label it Sports Coach remodel.

Consider it done.

I tried posting pictures, but they are too big. Now I need to figure out how to make the pictures smaller.

mariaburchell said:
I tried posting pictures, but they are too big. Now I need to figure out how to make the pictures smaller.

This article in our library will help you with that.

Thanks Ned, well here are the pictures of the thorn on my side  :) We affectionately call her Orka although she looks more like a shark from the front.  Engine is good, generator is good.  The ceiling is the only troubles we have.  We do intend to replace the split rims as well. I intend to use the restroom type paneling to restore the ceiling.  There are a couple of wooden beams that are rotted one in a corner which is in one of the pictures below, the other is in the bathroom by the skylight will take pictures of that later.

Attachments

• outside formated .jpg
    outside formated .jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 40
  • ceiling 2 mod.jpg
    ceiling 2 mod.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 44
  • ceiling 4 mod.jpg
    ceiling 4 mod.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 38
  • ceiling mod.jpg
    ceiling mod.jpg