Sportsmobile Penthouse Raised Roof

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Gary,

Keeps me out of trouble (most the time) and off the streets.  Should have spent more prep time before I installed that roof vent the first time.

Hope all is still going well with you and Nancy.  Your last report really sounded good.  Really shows that you have to be aggressive and NOT assume the doctor is an "expert"...what ever that really is.

I have been trying to decide the best RV/camper for my husband and I. This has me seriously looking for a B now. Great job.

Hey Len,
Where did you get your awning from?

(If you don't mind me asking...)  :D

Got the Trim Line awning at our local General RV outlet 8 years ago.  Had to order it and it was in in about 2 weeks.  It is a bag awning and all telescoping poles are attached to the awning, roll up with it and store in the zipper bag.  We have been very happy with it.  Do wish though that you could order it in a solid white for better heat reflection. 

Thanks Len.  I'll keep that thought about the color in mind when we pick out ours.

Happy Traveling!

Our ship has sailed but yours has not yet.  If you are going with the SMB penthouse top I would recommend asking questions about the two florescent lights they install on the top.  The ones they installed in my rig were model TL-616 two tube 30 watt fixtures.  There is also out there a TL-690 model that is also 30 watts and two tube BUT allow the fixture to be use as a 15 watt fixture (one tube on) or a 30 watt fixture (two tubes on).  Each bulb is separately switched.  I would guess that $$ was the reason they choose  the 616 model but I really don't know.

Potential advantages to you of the TL-690 model:

1.  You can adjust the light lumen level (high/low).
2.  You have redundancy.  If a bulb burns out you still have 15 watt fixture.
3.  If you plan on dry camping for any period of time,  you can reduce your battery drain and still have a light in that location by going to single tube mode.

Your lighting needs, cost and if they will switch it out are all factors.

Have fun.

This thread on van modification seems to still have many people looking at it.  Considering that I am uploading more modifications we have made after adding the penthouse top.

The first was adding tie downs to the bag awning.  We have sometimes experienced the awning bag flapping (violently) when driving on x-ways in a cross wind.  The tie downs should take care of that sometimes problem

The lighting when the table is set for games is so-so.  Adequate for eating and such but poor for reading, card playing and other games that require good lighting.  The original lighting was on the passenger and drivers side at the aft side of the table.  The under cabinet lights were each switchable as either 10 watts or 30 watts halogen for a maximum of 60 watts but only on one side of the table.  I have added a third storage box to the drivers side front of the table as shown.  Again the under counter light fixture is selectable 10w or 30w.  So now when "fine" work is desired the table can be lit from three sides with a total of 90 watts.

Attachments

• P1060784.JPG
    P1060784.JPG
    542.7 KB · Views: 16
  • P1060785.JPG
    P1060785.JPG
    554 KB · Views: 15
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    409.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    484.6 KB · Views: 17
Joanne has decided to replace all of the drapes with new heavier quilted ones.  More color and more insulation (when dry camping we do not have heat...for the most part...unless we use a generator).  The new drape design instead of closing from the sides (see first picture) now roll down, are held in place with Velcro  and seal the window opening better.  They also when rolled up do not block hardly any of the window opening.

Also you will note more storage at the back of the penthouse top when it is up.  We added a net bag to hold STUFF when the we are camped with the top up.  Net bag can be seen at the top of the last picture.  Never enough storage in a 'B'.

Attachments

• Old Design.JPG
    Old Design.JPG
    516.8 KB · Views: 22
  • New - Closed.JPG
    New - Closed.JPG
    505.6 KB · Views: 18
  • New - Half Open.JPG
    New - Half Open.JPG
    503.7 KB · Views: 15
  • New - Open.JPG
    New - Open.JPG