SR-71

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The story few people know is that the YF-11 and the YA-12 were developed along side each other.  The YA-12 became the SR-71 (it was supposed to be RS-71, but5 LBJ flubbed the announcement).  The YF-11 was intended to be a hypersonic interceptor to counter the Russian bombers coming over the pole.  Kelly Johnson was annoyed that USAF didn't buy the YF-11.  What he did not know was that what he built was so fast that we did not have a reliable weapons system that could be launch and fly away from something that fast.  Air to air weapons speed are usually listed as launch speed plus whatever.  Apparently that is a nice idea up to about Mach 3 - the air speed of a YF-11. 

I used to sail with a fellow that was a boom jockey for the KCs that refueled SRs.  He had some interesting stories related to the encounters.

Matt 

Oldgator73 said:
These are some fantastic stories. I don?t consider what I did, serving in the military, any great thing to be thanked for. I consider it my pleasure. Since I joined the AF and subsequently retired, we have always lived near a military facility. It?s great to hear the jet engines running up at night and seeing the planes flying over the house. I?m not this big flag waving, uber patriotic guy but I do enjoy seeing the planes. The louder the better.

I'm kinda the same way, as I don't really consider my years in the AF as anything more than my duty.  I don't regret any of them, but I don't miss the military either.  When I got out (2000), it was time to get out.  There was too much change, and I didn't feel like trying to keep up with it.  I lived in San Antonio, a total military city from 1994 until 2006, then moved to Houston for a new opportunity.  I do miss the ease of going to a military facility for healthcare, but I have adjusted out here away from it all.  The worst thing is when it comes time to renew my wife's ID card!  What a royal pain that is.  Otherwise, I'm fine out here where I am away from any and all military facilities.

edjunior said:
I'm kinda the same way, as I don't really consider my years in the AF as anything more than my duty.  I don't regret any of them, but I don't miss the military either.  When I got out (2000), it was time to get out.  There was too much change, and I didn't feel like trying to keep up with it.  I lived in San Antonio, a total military city from 1994 until 2006, then moved to Houston for a new opportunity.  I do miss the ease of going to a military facility for healthcare, but I have adjusted out here away from it all.  The worst thing is when it comes time to renew my wife's ID card!  What a royal pain that is.  Otherwise, I'm fine out here where I am away from any and all military facilities.

We were in SA at the same time. We got there from Japan in Oct 93 and I retired in April 99. I was in CE at Lackland.

Oldgator73 said:
We were in SA at the same time. We got there from Japan in Oct 93 and I retired in April 99. I was in CE at Lackland.

I was over on Medina Annex.  It looks like you were just about a year ahead of me.  I got there in Nov 94 and retired July 2000.  Like I said, I don't regret any of my 20 years, but it was time to let it go.  Just like now...I am ready for my second and final retirement, but I have about a year to go before my house is paid off.  Once that is done, I'm done.  Then I can hit the road for more RV time!  (yeah, I had to get the subject back to the post!!)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wanda56
Back
Top Bottom