St. Augustine Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msw3113

We'll be in St. Augustine, Florida for a few days in a couple of weeks (without the RV). What suggestions do experienced travelers have about that area's must-see places, must-do events, and must-eat restaurants?

We have a member who I believe lives there and hopefully he’ll read this and respond. I can’t remember his forum name. If I did I would send him a PM. His real name I believe is Brad. I haven’t read any of his posts for a couple of months.

Update: I just remembered his forum name is blw2. He lives just a few miles from St. Augustine in Saint John’s.
I just started a conversation with him. Hope he reads it in time.

Last edited:
South of Fort Matanzas is Marineland Aquarium. It used to be a East Coast version of Marineland in California.
It may still be worth a visit.

Up on Vilano Beach are some decent restaunts and diners.
The Beaches at Vilano was pretty nice. It's not on the beach, but the patio overlooks the bay.

Aunt Katies was pretty good, too.

Last edited:
Old St Augustine is a cool walk around attraction. Get some of my Chocolates

(Whetstone Chocolates). Not really mine, but they gave me a free sample when I showed them my license. (my last name is Whetstone)

There is a great dinner called O'Steens that has jumbo fried shrimp and the best hush puppies. Its across the bridge on the ocean side of the ICW.

Hi. Thanks for the heads-up Rene. I've not been active lately.

I live in the same county...but it's about a 40 minute drive...so I don't get there all that often and not totally up on all the latest places. We used to go it seemed all the time back when we used to get a lot more out of town visitors...it was always the place to go. My wife and I have gone several times to stay in B&B's there just as weekend getaways...but it's been a while

Anyway
ton of good restaurants there....sort of depend on what you're in the mood for

Aunt Kates previously mentioned, seafood on the water. It's not really in St Aug proper, just over the bridge in Vilano. Just up the road from it is another place we like better called Cap's on the Water...although over the years it has been trending more expensive and away from it's roots. Used to be much more casual. Anyway, we like it on good weather days...it's right on the river, mostly outdoor tables with great views..although they did fairly recently add a large covered area with more tables and less views.
The Conch House is also another interesting laid back water front dining experience....with little tiki hut tables overlooking the marina....not really walking distance though from old town

Hopefully you're staying right down in the historic dist of St Aug so you can walk and explore. If you're only there a couple days there is more than enough there to keep you busy without venturing to Vilano or to the beaches. Basically walk St George Street and the adjacent side and parallel streets.... all the shops and eateries. You'll find good option after good option. SO many places I've always wanted to try and never have....

A whole lot of cheesy places too, but some of those are interesting too.... Pirate Museum sort of worth it I suppose if you have kids especially or you're into pirate lore, little Schoolhouse in my opinion not so much worth it..., etc..

For pizza, I like Pizza Time on St George, but right across the way is Pizzalley's which as I recall is pretty decent too.

Maple Street Biscuit Company... local chain popular for good food...well at least I think it's a local chain.....

Columbia Restaurant also on ST George is good spanish food, although it's been a long time since we've been. It's a little more expensive and we generally go more frugal. My wife likes a place called Florida Cracker Cafe but I don't really care for it. Food's ok, i just find it a bit touristy/generic.... then she always wants to visit one of the two Kilwins Chocolate places on St George St for chocolate or ice cream.
Just near the Cathedral Basilica there's a Greek Place we used to go to a fair bit, pretty good.

There's a bunch of places down near the beach too. I'm not as familiar.... near the pier seems to be the center of gravity

Oh, Blue Hen Cafe is a good "comfort food type of place...off the beaten path. Located in an area that used to be the "colored" section of town...some history there during the civil right movement

Bring your national park pass if you have one, for the fort.

I actually think those trolley tours are worth a ride to hear stories and history

I've always wanted to tour Flagler College, but never have so far. I hear good things... interesting history

Oh, we did a walking tour once that was fun.... went to several eateries and had a little sample or appetizer at each

National Shrine of Our Lady Le Leche is a peaceful spot if you want to chill for (at the Great Cross)

Lighthouse tour is good.

The winery tour is not really a winery. They don't really make the wine there. Nice little shop though, and fun to do a tasting tour. I've not been to the distillery.

Anyway, that's off the top of my head. Message me if you have questions about something specific...no promises but maybe I'll be able to help

There is a great dinner called O'Steens that has jumbo fried shrimp and the best hush puppies. Its across the bridge on the ocean side of the ICW.
oh yes...Always lined up out the door there. Go early not at prime meal time. I've always wanted to go buut every time we think of trying it I see the line and I say no way!

I was anchored out just North of 'Beaches at Velino' East of the river in St Augustine's for a few days before I crossed the Atlantic. Lovely place, Publix was right there for a final resupply and the 'Beaches' bar was generally fun. You could look for Aunt Kate's which was a short dinghy ride north which had great seafood. I used to hike across the bridge into town but I was generally busy dealing with last minute details to do much sight seeing. i wasn't in an RV frame of mind so i didn't notice any camp sits on my visit.
Regards Steven

Back
Top Bottom