ST Tire's and max speed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KandT

Anyone run their HiRun ST tires 70-75mph all day?  Big trip coming up and staying at 65 will drive me nuts.  They are dolly tire's on 14 inch rims kept inflated to 50 psi.  Have about 3200 miles of highway driving round trip.

Look at the sidewall for the max speed or go to the manufacturers web site to find it. I understand there are a couple which allow you to go above 65 but not many. I would keep it under 65. You'll get there.

Related to Sammy Hagar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvV3nn_de2k

What to say? Some people DO exceed the max speed on their tires. And some people wonder why they have tire failures too. Guess it depends on how much of a gambler you are...

Thanks all.  Carlisles next time.  I guess I figured I will actually have the tires at about half their rated load capacity so fudging a little on speed might not hurt.  I never read that nor do I advocate it - just wondering.

Just about all ST tires made in China now have speed letters on them. It all came about when tariffs for not having speed letters was introduced. So when that happened others started putting speed letters on their tire's sidewalls. The only one that does not yet do it is Maxxis. Call them and they will say 99 MPH. Of course that's not official because it's not on the sidewall. So according to our tire industry standards they are still 65 MPH tires.

When ST tires do not have a speed rating on their sidewall they default to 65 MPH. 

65 mph or less or you will pay for it sooner or later.

Don't forget you need to stop that thing you're towing.  The speed your tires can handle is one thing. At what speed does the your rig no longer safely respond to unforeseen conditions?  I recommend you set the cruise and enjoy trip. 

Thanks all!  I will heed the advice and just relax on the speed.  I guess out west the speed limits are higher so I was thinking of not being a hazard too.

Here is a response from Maxxis Support Team, when asked about the speed rating of the 8008 series ST tires.....BTW....A "Q" rating equates to 99 MPH

"High Speed" is used to differentiate the M8008 ST Radial from other products we offer that are intended for industrial and/or commercial use, in slow speed applications. The Maxxis M8008 ST Radial carries a "Q" speed rating. However, according to the Tire and Rim Association, the U.S. tire industry specification authority, inflation pressures and load specifications in general for any ST Radial trailer tires without a service description, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. However, if the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:
From 66 to 75 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.
From 76 to 85 MPH – the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.
We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your inquiry and interest in Maxxis Tires.
Best Regards,
Your Maxxis Support Team
--
Maxxis International – USA
Email: [email protected] | Web: maxxis.com

xrated said:
Here is a response from Maxxis Support Team, when asked about the speed rating of the 8008 series ST tires.....BTW....A "Q" rating equates to 99 MPH

"High Speed" is used to differentiate the M8008 ST Radial from other products we offer that are intended for industrial and/or commercial use, in slow speed applications. The Maxxis M8008 ST Radial carries a "Q" speed rating. However, according to the Tire and Rim Association, the U.S. tire industry specification authority, inflation pressures and load specifications in general for any ST Radial trailer tires without a service description, regardless of the manufacturer, are designed and rated at 65 MPH. However, if the speed is higher than 65 MPH, the pressure and load need to be adjusted according to the following guidelines:
From 66 to 75 MPH ? the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) but requires no load adjustment.
From 76 to 85 MPH ? the tire inflation pressure needs to increase 10 PSI (not to exceed the maximum PSI the tire is rated for) and load should be reduced by 10%.
We hope this information is helpful. Thanks for your inquiry and interest in Maxxis Tires.
Best Regards,
Your Maxxis Support Team
--
Maxxis International ? USA
Email: [email protected] | Web: maxxis.com
So - who doesn't already run max PSI in an ST tire?  Sounds like if you keep the load at 90% you can run them 85 mph :) 
if I remember, Goodyear Marathon had a similar statement with regard to increasing pressure, reducing load for increased speed.  Kind of glad I flat tow, but when towing the boat with STs I do keep it at 65.

The drag race guys swear by Maxxis trailer tires. They're always speeding on Friday to get to the track after work and speeding back home Sunday night to get back for work. Also, they routinely buy a cheap oversized trailer, then, promptly overload them. I doubt there is any group who abuses trailer tires more than them. Upon my purchase of a box trailer, I immediately replaced the tires with Maxxis 10-ply, load range E. With roughly 40K miles on them, I haven't had a single issue, while running them at max pressure. Just be sure to use the correct valve stem rated for at least 80psi and make sure they are balanced. Many tire shops will try and skimp on those two things. Lastly, get the highest load rated tire they offer, that will fit your dolly or trailer. The 10-ply only comes in a 225/75-15 and may be too wide or tall for some applications. They still offer load range D tires in smaller sizes, which is still higher than load range C most stuff comes with.

All the way west the towing speed limit is 55MPH.  It does not matter what you're towing.  I see big rigs being ticketed fairly often but not so many RVs.  But if you come here and drive 75 while towing they'll get'cha for sure.

62 doesn't seem to even get a glance from the cops so that's what I set the cruise to.

I wonder if the police are even aware of their state's towing speed limit....or care.  I have gone through a lot of states, and many times, where the state towing speed limit is 55 and the highway speed limit is 70.  I am rolling 65 or under and the TTs and 5ers are going by me like I am standing still.  I have seen cops out there giving tickets but never to RVers.  I talked to a guy at a rest stop that had a 5er and just about blew me away when he went by.  I asked him if the cops ever get on him when rolling that fast.  He said "No, I roll 5 over at 75 MPH and they don't bother me."  He was actually 20 over as the state speed limit for towing was 55 MPH.  I told him that and he said "Yeah right!  Just don't tell the cops."  I didn't mention the tire speed ratings....................

Lots of people speed.  We were in OH last week and some TTs and FWs were doing 70-75.  Tires used on these are not meant for this speed.  I wonder why there are no more accidents.  Thanks God.

I have the same tires on my TT and usually keep it between 60-65. Safer that way.

Back
Top Bottom