Stack washer and dryer too much vibration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

Our stack washer and dryer seems to be making a lot more vibration than I think it should.
I have checked that the washer is level. It sits on a pan and the washer feet are about an inch high
The washer is currently attached to the wall at the rear and left side.
My thought is to build a shelf for the dryer and let washer be free standing and adding isolation pads to the washer.
Ideas?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20231110_110854.jpg
    20231110_110854.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Washer.jpg
    Washer.jpg
    487.1 KB · Views: 5
vibration is probably being transmitted thru the wall brackets. take a look at those brackets and be sure everything is tightened properly. check or replace the rubber pads on each side of the brackets. (wall and washer)

vibration can change with temperature and humidity. a change in the physical structure its attached too could be causing a change in vibration. the washer may be developing a problem if the vibration is more of a constant out of balance rumble as opposed to a vibration. you could try different spin speeds.

check the easy stuff first then keep track of when / when not there is an increase of vibration.

Our stackable set vibrates the entire coach on spin. It always has, and everyone I know says theirs is the same. it isn’t unbearable though, just something noticeable.

Our can get going too, but I've found something that helps. Try to balance the load a little better, if you can. We do heavy things like bath towels in their own load.

Our W/D combo are free standing with wooden "curbs" cushioned with carpet holding the unit at front/back and sides. The front curb is easily removable so the unit can slide out easily with cursing.

The Dryer sits above the Washer on a shelf, again held in place with curbs. The units do not interlock.

Neither unit is affixed to the coach, other than gravity and the curbs making the "hole" too small for the unit to walk out...

Both the washer and dryer are attached to the walls, I'm going to try the shelf idea, maybe I can the shelf high enough to add a pull out
Thanks for the info

Idea on the shelf.
Would like to span a sheet of plywood side to side, width is 32".
Could 3/4 or 1" plywood span the 32" and support the weight of the dryer and pull out drawers.
55lb dryer, 10lb of shelf so about 65lbs. I would like to figure 75lbs to be safe.
I could put a support in the rear of the shelf but not the front to allow room below the shelf for pull out drawers.
Thanks

Idea on the shelf.
Would like to span a sheet of plywood side to side, width is 32".
Could 3/4 or 1" plywood span the 32" and support the weight of the dryer and pull out drawers.
55lb dryer, 10lb of shelf so about 65lbs. I would like to figure 75lbs to be safe.
I could put a support in the rear of the shelf but not the front to allow room below the shelf for pull out drawers.
Thanks
Where is the weight of the dryer? If it’s on the four corners then 3/4” would be fine. The weight will be on the shelf supports at the back and sides.

It's on four corners. Not my best sketch.
I'm going to use steel angle to get above the washer box.

Attachments

• 169996624339243053125815420149.jpg
    169996624339243053125815420149.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Going to start the project next week now that we are in our winter spot.
Might do 2x4 instead of angle in my drawing.
Thoughts?

Going to start the project next week now that we are in our winter spot.
Might do 2x4 instead of angle in my drawing.
Thoughts?
I think as long as you use beefy enough angle it will be fine. My concern would be the supporting structure inside the wall being strong enough to support the weight no matter whether angle or 2x4.

There are 3 studs in the interior wall and 3 attachment points at the exterior wall.

3/4" ply is more than enough - remember, the feet of the dryer are close to the corners - so the force is not in the middle of the span where it can do much damage. I'm actually pretty sure the shelf in my MH is 1/2" with simple 1X2 cleats glued and stapled to the sidewalls and back plus one use across the front to stiffen the ply.

Reactions: SMR
Got it completed a few weeks ago. I ended up putting a piece of the thin carpet (in the pic) under the washer, that and separating the washer and dryer help a lot.
Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• 20240203_175557.jpg
    20240203_175557.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240203_175656.jpg
    20240203_175656.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members